iPad mini iPad Mini 1st Gen and T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tr0gd0r, Nov 3, 2013.

1. tr0gd0r macrumors newbie

When Apple announced the iPad Air and the iPad Mini with Retina display, they also updated their website to show that the 1st Gen iPad mini is now getting T-Mobile support. Does anyone know if that means they updated the radios in the iPad Mini to support HSPA on the AWS (1700/2100 bands)? The AT&T iPad Mini always supported LTE on the AWS bands, but not for HSPA. Most of T-Mobile's 4G network is on those bands, with a few areas moving to 1900 band.

Thanks in advance.

2. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

I read somewhere your iPad Mini had to be manufactured after I think January/February, that's when Apple added support for the AWS 4G band.

I also read people have had success having Apple exchanging there iPads manufactured before then for a newer one that has the new bands.

3. tr0gd0r thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats interesting. They still don't list those bands on the tech specs page of their site. It would be kinda useless on T-Mobile without those bands. I may just have to buy one to test it out and return if it doesn't work.

4. Lockon macrumors regular

Can anyone confirm hspa AWS bands? I'm getting 4G and LTE in a major city, but only get Edge in a closeby suburb. So I don't know if the 4G is a tower that T-mobile swapped to 900mhz.