iPad mini iPad mini 1st Gen on iOS 8.0.2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by heyitsmeneil, Oct 3, 2014.

1. heyitsmeneil macrumors member

I've had my iPad mini 10 months and had hardly no trouble on iOS 7 but since installing iOS 8 it's become awful to use, slow responses and a lot of lags specially in Safari and in the app switcher it always take a second before it go to the app swticher its really a lot difference before in 7.1

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Really hoping for a huge fix for this on 8.1 like what happened to 7.1 last year..

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

You'd be lucky if upgrading up a major version on an iOS device didn't have you end up with a terrible laggy experience. Which is a shame, it's a +$500 device, after all.

3. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I was afraid of this happening. While iOS 8.0.2 is wonderful on my 4S, I kept my mini on 7.1.2 jailbroken. I'm getting about 14 hours use on 2-day charge and everything functions well still. As much as I want SMS relay and some extensions support now, I'm willing to wait as my workflow and consumption on my mini hasn't diminished since iOS 8 dropped. Methinks others may feel the same?

4. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Totally weird. I have a 1st-gen iPad Mini on iOS 8.0.2, and with all honesty, it's faster than it was with iOS 7. Of course it was still fastest with iOS 6, but iOS 8, despite the bugs, has brought life back to my iPad. I have a few widgets here and there, an extra GIF keyboard, about 4GB of free storage on my 64GB iPad Mini, and apps and games work totally fine. Safari is a blob of bugs, so I'm just using Chrome for now.

I did an OTA update. Maybe you should try doing a complete restore, or maybe reset some settings. iOS 8 on my iPad Mini has been a pleasure overall.

5. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Ok, that's good to hear. I did a fresh install on my 4S and it's doing quite well. I may do the same for my mini. I do love my SwipeSelection and fake GPS for the MLB postseason, however, so I may hold off until 8.1 is out and/or my Dodgers get to the World Series (please oh please!).

How's your battery life, if I may ask? My mini has been getting some stellar battery life after using icleaner to clean out unnecessary files and deleting unused apps.

6. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Battery life is about the same. 9 to 10 hours of usage. Amazing for a 2 year old device as I've bought since launch. ;)

7. twintin macrumors 6502

Only issues I have with mine mini gen 1 is WiFi and as OP, Safari, which feels slow and laggy. No lag in other places so far.

8. Malte. macrumors member

I have been looking for a thread about this, and i can't believe i'ts not 20pages by now. :)
    My mini is plain awfull to use since ios8. I almost only use my ipad for browsing in safari, and now safari lags badly with only one page.. Multiple tabs is just horrible/not possible.
    The mini 1st gen never was a rocket i know, i can't recall now but the amount of ram is way to low.

I'll probably try to sell it.

9. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

iOS 8 on my Mini was initially slow right after the upgrade, but then sped up again. I don't recall how fast it is compared to iOS 7. I didn't notice much difference though.

One annoying thing was that it broke an app I use. The app is 4 years old, so I don't know if the developer is going to fix it.

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It was sluggish at first on mine, but now it's fine. Battery still lasts for days with only occasional use.