All iPads iPad mini 2 32 GB is a steal now!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jalu, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Jalu macrumors member

And that's where lots of people seem to be missing the point, at least, that's my impression reading all those dissappointed reactions on the new iPad mini 3.

But today, you can order a 32 GB iPad mini 2, with a retina display, for just $349. To me, that appears to be incredibly affordable, it's $50 less then a 16 GB Nexus 9! Even the 32 GB iPad Air is still cheaper than the Nexus 9 32 GB...

The A7 CPU is still a very capable CPU and the build quality on both last generation iPads is still as good as it ever was. You'd have to hate iOS very much to even consider the Nexus 9 imho.

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

3. blinkie macrumors regular

Seems this way to me too. And a refurbished model looks like an even better option than it did a day ago.

I have no idea what this means or why it's a deal breaker.

4. rotation macrumors member

rotation

It's got a Tegra in it. It's probably faster than A7 but good luck getting it to run without getting hot and throttling and even better luck getting more than a few hrs of battery life. Tegra is hot garbage.

5. blinkie macrumors regular

What do you mean? The Ipad mini 2 has an A7 doesn't it?

6. Jalu thread starter macrumors member

It is'nt, for regular users, imho.

I have both a mini (retina) and an Air, and, while the display on the air is undoubtably better, it's not day and night. If I'd be on a tight budget, the mini would be enough.

7. blinkie macrumors regular

They look pretty good to me... Now I just have to wait for a 32GB to appear in the refurb page.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Yep, I just ordered one with a smart cover too!

9. rotation macrumors member

rotation

Tegra is garbage but this one seems to hold its own. Question is, how much power does it suck down running that fast. It's still on 28nm

10. rotation macrumors member

rotation

Re: Nexus 9

I think the Air 2 64GB wifi for 599 (what I'm getting) or the mini 2 32GB wifi for 349

The nexus has little ground to stand on as it is heavier, thicker, smaller, slower, and more expensive than the $399 IPad Air

11. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

Actually 63% Woohoo!

[​IMG]

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Notice that I said like....that implies I wasnt being exact.

----------

It was like day and night. Put them side by side when you go to the Apple Store. Youll notice the difference.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...it's tempting...waiting to see if our base PX marks the "2" down even more!

14. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Ok, so what? Are you suggesting the Mini is unusable? A motorcycle doesn't have a trunk...

Could a Mini and an Air have the same quality screen? Yes, but they don't. It doesn't mean the Mini is useless, or that the Air can completely replace a Mini for every purpose.

The Mini 2/3 is still a great tablet that goes places the Air doesn't. I take one with me everywhere I go. I wouldn't lug a full size Air around all day, every day, like I do with the Mini.

On a cramped subway car, or at the top of a mountain you just hiked, color gamut will be the last thing on your mind when you pull out an iPad Mini that you barely knew you'd been carrying.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Don't worry, most people don't.

16. Jalu, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

Jalu thread starter macrumors member

Again, I have both, so I can compare them easily.

It's not day and night. Far from.

Attached Files:

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

The color gamut thing isn't a big deal to me. The display, in isolation, looks just fine. I've been using the Mini 2 for the past year and I don't even notice or remember it until someone bring it up in a thread here. Sure I'd like it to be more correct, but I'm not going to be upset over it.

18. Jalu thread starter macrumors member

My point exactly. Yes, there is a difference, when comparing them side by side. But even then, it's not really as much as some seem to believe

When just using one device, it really doesn't matter all that much, except if you might be something like a professional photographer or so. But imho you shouldn't be using an iPad Air either then, since there will always be differences in colour temperature and overall display quality between single devices.

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Well it doesn't bother you or I that much, but there are some others who like to take Apple to task over it. That's not a bad thing either; someone needs to let them know that they could be doing things better.

20. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

Last October, after I bought the new Air and Retina Mine & before I sold my original Mini (non Retina), I did a comparison to illustrate the color gamut issue (i.e. only 63%). If you look at any photo, web page, etc... that goes towards the purple end of the color spectrum, the difference "is" night and day. Unlike Steven Spielberg, the Mini's don't produce "The Color Purple" well and have muted colors in general. That's not an opinion, but a well documented fact and one that is easy to illustrate. So, if one is not bothered by this, by all means buy a Mini and enjoy it...but do be aware that it's a real issue.

Ipad Air (left), Mini (Original and Retina right). The flowers are purple (as correctly displayed by the Air, not blue as displayed by the Mini's).
    [​IMG]

21. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

You're displaying them wrong. You're supposed to show landscape pictures with the iPad in landscape mode. That will make a big difference. ;)