Ipad mini 2 and usb hard drive

Discussion in 'iPad' started by c7fnt, Feb 12, 2017.

1. c7fnt macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking at getting an ipad mini 2 to carry with me on holiday and use it to transfer pictures off my camera and onto some form of storage.

I currently have a WD Passport Ultra. If I got the required adaptor would it be able to connect this to the ipad to transfer pictures to it?

Cheers
    C7FNT

2. craig1024 macrumors regular

No you cannot connect external hard drives or USB keys to the iPad you have to get a device that makes a wifi hotspot and networks the drive I think there is one called the hootoo.

3. sparksd, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

sparksd macrumors 6502a

I use a RAVPower Filehub for this and it works great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZWS9ZE

On a trip to the Galapagos I used it to transfer thousands of RAW pics and videos from my camera's SD card to a WD portable drive. Also use it to stream movies from the drive to my Air 2. I use both the RAVPower app and FileBrowser to access the drive and any other attached media.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I used a Seagate GoFlex Satellite Wireless hard drive to transfer files. But Seagate Wireless hard drive has replaced GoFlex drive

5. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

This is the only reason I keep my android tablet.

I wish ipads could talk to usb storage via camera kit.

I take my android tablet when do lots photos with my SLR.

6. sparksd macrumors 6502a

One of the nice things with the FileHub is that it is compatible with iOS, Android, Windows, etc. When transferring a lot of photos from an SD card to an HDD, I usually just use my Android smartphone and just let it sit there as it transfers (SD card to HDD is about 1 GB/minute). I use the FileHub with my Air 2, a Galaxy S7 Edge phone, and a Nexus 7 tablet.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Seagate Wireless hard drive will work with iOS, Android, Windows (all versions), and OS X and I have both iPad Pro and LG tablet. :)

8. sparksd macrumors 6502a

There definitely are a lot of options out there. Besides the RAVPower, I have a similar Kingston G3 filehub and a 500GB SeaGate wireless drive. The one shortcoming of the G3 is its limitation to 2TB HDDs whereas I can use my 4TB drive with the RAVPower. I've turned the Seagate into a static, hard-wired drive on my desktop as I prefer to use a device that allows different types of storage elements (e.g., HDDs, flash drives, SD & uSD cards) to be used with it.