iPad mini iPad mini 2 at $299 = perfect second tablet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mjmar, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Mjmar, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

Mjmar macrumors 65816

The announcement that Apple is lowering the price of the previous retina mini to $299 was overlooked, but I think it is pretty significant news. Now for under $300 you could own a smaller iPad that has powerful hardware and a retina display. As the owner of an iPad Air, the new pricing of the mini 2 is now low enough that I am considering buying one to compliment my main iPad. For most situations the 9.7" screen size is ideal, but for on the go usage and for smaller spaces the mini is perfect. Up until now it seemed a bit ridiculous to own both the Air and the mini. And I could never own just a mini since it is not as good for viewing certain types of content, like magazines. But at the $299 price point it feels more reasonable to own both, especially considering that the performance of the mini 2 is on par with the Air that I already have. It would be great to have an iPad that works in situations that the regular size iPad is too much, but also to have the full iPad experience. For those that have an iPad Air, or plan to get an Air 2 - does the new pricing of the mini 2 entice you to get one as a second tablet?

2. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I would not pay $299. Wait until Target has their $50 gift cards on all ipads. It's bound to happen in the next few weeks.
    You got to figure that iPads have been on the market for over 4 years now and the people that really wanted a iPad have a iPad. Apple does too good of a job keeping them updated and the core fuction hasn't changed. It's not like iPad 2 days when it was a constant sale out.
    And the iPhone 6 plus is stealing thunder away from the mini plus. Plus Apple did a crap job updating the mini 3. I actually see the mini 3 getting down to $330 in a few months.

3. Trahearne macrumors 6502

Once thought of it, but I feel it would be redundunt. Full size iPad is truly not as compact as Mini, but the on-the-go experience isn't really bad for full size iPad, and Air brought the experience to a new level. So if I were you and most of my uses are better on the full size iPad, I wouldn't do this and would rather pay the price of a portable iPad stand if I really want to do reading for a long time...

But as always, if you can afford it, it is all about your desire (needs?...).

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree. Unless you just have $300 bucks burning a hole in your pocket I can't see why anyone would have an Air and a mini just for themselves. An iPad and a phone? Sure. A macbook and an iPad? Yeah. But a mini and a full size ipad? Nope.

5. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Or just go to Apple's refurb site and buy one right now for 249.

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

You know this is a site about Apple products. There will be no life or death issues here.

7. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I have both an air and a mini retina. I use them for different purposes. I carry the mini with me more and use the air at home.

8. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

If you're looking for another iPad or jumping in on the Mini 2, I think the 32gb for only $349 is a great deal. Heck, that config was $499 just 7 days ago!

9. mhdena macrumors 6502

If all owners buy a mini, it might help :apple:

ipad sales are not what they used to be, they need help.

But who will be buying the full size one? Not me, my Air should last several more years.

10. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I've been thinking about this myself. I plan on keeping an eye out any deals on the rMini.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I have an iPad mini first gen and do plan on getting a full sized iPad one day. Nothing wrong with having both

12. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I'm also thinking of buying a new iPad Mini2 for 349 euros (32GB WIFI only model) new or a refurbished model for 299 euros. It's great value for money i think.

13. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I've owned an Air and a retina mini for months now and while I don't need two iPads, I enjoy the convenience of both.
    The Air is my go to device at home - I use it much more than my Macs and it is a great option.
    The retina mini travels with me to work, it is light and easy to carry and is convenient when I want to annotate technical PDFs and the likes. It is also my travel companion and much prefer carrying it around than the Air.
    I'm not a fan of Phablets and will be sticking with my 5s although I think people moving to an iPhone 6 would have a harder time justifying both an Air and a retina mini.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, but as others said, wait a month and it will be on sale for $250-$280. That's an amazing price for Retina, and yes, it makes a great companion device around the home, especially as a remote (Apple Remote, DirecTV, Yamaha receiver), speaker phone (FaceTime, etc), and quick internet access).