ipad mini 2 for the kids - stick with ios 10?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrklaw, Sep 19, 2017.

1. mrklaw macrumors 68020

both my kids have ipad mini 2s. Technically they support ios 11, but I'm not sure whether they should update or not.

Partly I'm wondering about performance on the older devices, but also wondering about app support. Is there a way to check if their usual games/apps are 64bit compatible?

What would be your cutoff for updating to ios 11? and are there any negatives to sticking on 10 (security in particular)

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Settings > General > About > Applications will show you their 32-bit apps.

I can’t comment on performance as my Mini is a 4. I would think you could just leave it on 10 and not worry about whether their apps are 32-bit or not.

3. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

Just leave them on 10 untill more reviews are out. No need to upgrade immediately.

4. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Absolutely. Don't even think about updating that device for the rest of the time you own it. iOS 11 is far too complicated and advanced for an older tablet especially with children as it's main users. Hell, I'm keeping iOS 10 on my moms Air 2. There's no reason to update. iOS 10.3 is smooth and stable.

5. bensisko macrumors 65816

iOS 11 is certainly NOT “far too complicated and advanced”. In fact, I bet kids would teach you a thing or two about using iOS 11.

My personal experience is that performance on the Mini 2 was pretty much the same as iOS 10, but it’s not my daily device (basically used to control Apple TV and Philips Hue lights).