iPad iPad mini 2 is color as bad as I heard?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cooperb21, Nov 28, 2013.

1. cooperb21 macrumors member

So im choosing between mini 2 and air and i think im going with mini 2 since i like how its smaller i play to use it alot for watching video and playing games and felt ipad air would be worse since it would be harder and heavier to hold over time.

But so far for negatives i read for mini 2 is it clocked slightly lower but from what i seen its no real world performance in games or anything.

Then there is issues i read with color saturation being not that good on mini 2 will colors be better or worse than my old 2012 nexus 7.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Since "better" and "worse" are very subjective, the smart thing would be for you to go see one in person and decide for yourself.

In using my rMini for a day I've not noticed anything but I also haven't gone looking for a difference against my ipad3.

I'm not disputing that there's a reduced gamut, just suggesting that whether that is or isn't a substantive problem really depends on the individual.

3. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Seconding the suggestion to go look at them. I have been out looking at the Apple store a few times, as I am thinking of upgrading my iPad 3. From the headlines around here you would think the rMini colors are limited to pastels. In reality, both rMini and Air are great devices. Run thru some of your favorite uses and see. (IMHO, rMini is super for iBooks, not quite so super for Safari pages. But love the feel!)

After performing a meta-analysis on the available test results I have concluded:
    1. rMini gamut is lower. P<.05
    2. rMini is smaller than the air. P<.00001
    ;)

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No. :)

5. TheAnvil macrumors regular

Would you care to expand more into that?

As for the colour gamut, it is about the same as the iPhone 4/4S, right?
    If you are/were happy with that, you'd be happy with the mini, too?

6. Charliebird, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

Charliebird macrumors 6502a

What this thing has color? I thought it had a black and white screen like a Kindle paper white.

I love how new reports are coming out daily that the rMini has an inferior color gamut. People this is old news. Anandtech mentioned it in his review right after the rMini has released. He factored it into his review and still gave the rMini a very positive review.

7. doboy macrumors 68000

Yes. The colors are horrible and no one should buy it. NOT!

8. ArtPop macrumors newbie

second to the right, and straight on till morning
    No

9. jacobss macrumors 6502

The screen is gorgeous compared to the mini 1, why is everyone comparing it to the Air?

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Because Apple compared it to the Air. It was basically advertised as having all the features of the Air.

It does not.

To which I, who is very happy with my rMini, and is an owner of an Air with a more problematic screen, say so forking what?

The Mini skimps on some of the colors you get with an Air. It also skimps on the size, weight, and price over an Air.

It is what it is, and what it is is pretty great. If you absolutely must have a full range of colors in your tablet, the Mini is not for you. If you can accept the fact that it makes a slight sacrifice to bring you great battery life and portability, and that you will likely stop thinking about the color after about a day of using it, then go for it.

The best proof that the rMini's color gamut "issue" is rather overblown is that the prevailing thread discussing the topic, which grew to 13 pages when the rMini was released, has now fallen to page 8 of this forum, with the last post made 11 days ago. 11 days on Macrumors is about 6 months in real time.

Given that even more people now have rMinis in their possession than 11 days ago, yet the main thread discussing gamut has gone dormant, one can infer two conclusions; 1. The bulk of the grumblings were driven by fear over experience. People were all up in arms about a screen they hadn't even seen with their own eyes yet. And 2. The problem has proven to be a non-problem for many if not most people who now actually own one, in this otherwise EXTREMELY picky community.

11. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

Because they are closest two apple products have ever been.

Screen size
    And 1ghz each cpu speed

is all that is difference there same specs and all.

12. mcdj, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Lol you would make a truly crappy lawyer buddy. From your bomb dropping link...

"DisplayMate did give top marks to the iPad Mini display in many categories, praising its resolution, small color shift with different viewing angles, “close to perfect” contrast accuracy, accurate calibration, low reflectivity – and rating as “very good” its maximum brightness, black levels, contrast ratios and viewability in high ambient light."

Guess you missed that part. Bomb indeed.

How bout you tell us what YOU think of the rMini. Oh right, you don't have one and haven't seen one.

Don't let Apple haters tell you otherwise, people hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm very pleased with the rMini's color. I don't gamut issue is overstated quite a bit. I think for the majority of people, they'll not notice any issues with the gamut

14. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

I was expecting B&W with the complaints around here, but it's just as good as my old Mini. Not as good as the air or iPhone, but still pretty sweet.

15. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Sure! All I meant by my Safari comment is that, without zooming, the fonts were a little small for me. But I still want to go back and look at them again. The rMini text is SO sharp that I can read smaller text anyway. Regarding color, I have a MacBook Pro, iPhones 3,4 and 5S, iPad 1 and iPad 3. I consider all of them really good. Unless you put them all on the same photo and next to each other (which could drive one nuts if you let it) they all look good. I really think the discussion is not "good or bad" but "good or better." For me, it is either stay with my iPad 3 or get the rMini. Air is nice, but not $600 trade in difference nice . . .

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've had the new Mini w/Retina display for a few days now and I am quite pleased with the color and display it has.

17. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have both Air & rMini and will be keeping both. Yes there is a slight difference in colour gamut between the two of them, but you have to have them beside each other to notice it. No quite sure why all the complaining about it. rMini is really nice to use and view.

18. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I have the Air and rMini, and it's very close, even when viewed side-by-side. The Air is sometimes more colorful, but the rMini is dandy.

Attached Files:

19. scupking macrumors 6502a

20. Charliebird, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

Charliebird macrumors 6502a

The DisplayMate shootout was really a cheap piece of publicity on their part. They didn't provide one piece of information that wasn't already known. I'm pretty sure 90% of the population including me wouldn't have ever noticed the different. I don't mind people picking on Apple since that might push them to improve their products but this gamut news is getting really stale.

21. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for being the person brave enough to say this, Charlie. Displaymate is a product, and one only has to click on any of the links along the lefthand side of their site to see this. I'm surprised there isn't an "As Seen on TV" logo on top of the site. Critiquing the industry top dog is an easy way to gain publicity....

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

23. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I'm not really sure this article even makes sense to me. Doesn't the iPad Air use the same IGZO technology? Most of the reviews I've seen for the iPad Air say it's has a top notch display across the board. I haven't heard any news about poor yield rates regarding the iPad Air screen either. It's almost like the Displaymate article is composed of a bunch rehashed rumors and reviews.

24. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Had mini 1 loved it. Wife now has it and is thrilled. I now have rMini and love it. If you think forums are representative of the entire market, you need to participate in more forums. I don't care what the product (vehicles and electronics especially, guns not so much) the reviews are from a small percentage of buyers who either don't own the product or have buyer's remorse. It really is mostly about you. If you are often disappointed in what you buy you will find reasons to dislike the rMini. If not, then do like the majority of us, buy it and enjoy.