iPad Mini 2 or Galaxy Tab S2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nviz22, Dec 23, 2016.

1. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

The Tab S2 has the better multitasking and features, but is it better than the Mini 2? I don't want a laggy experience. I used a Tab A 7.0 and I don't like how the Wi-Fi signal message keeps on appearing. Apple's library and price point makes it better?

I want to surf the web, read emails, watch Netflix, see Youtube videos, play games. I do like the idea of a fingerprint scanner and AMOLED display with split screen multi-tasking, but not make or break experiences there.

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The Tab S2 is a worthy rival to the Mini 4. I have to say that it is better than the Mini 2.

3. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

iPad, hate to say it but Apples App Store is a lot better, especially for games. Doesn't the iPad Mini 2 do split screen?

4. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

No, it does not. But the Tab S2 does.

My response is the same as it was on your topic in the other section. Tab S2 over mini 2 any day, or get a mini 4.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

But based on the usage the OP described, an abundant App Store isn't required. If you want to use a tablet for some specialized tasks, it's more likely that you'll find the apps you need on a iPad. But for general tablet tasks like web surfing and media, an Android tablet is just as capable, even if Android apps tend to be a bit less polished than their iOS counterparts.

6. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Tab S2 all the freaking way. I love the 8" version carry one to work everyday.

7. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

The OP wants to play games, and iOS is much better for this. I have both platforms and the iOS store is a lot better and is better supported by Apple too. It gets a lot more games with early exclusively then Android does.

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

OP also wants to browse the web, and the iPad mini 2 sucks at dealing with multiple tabs thanks to it's lack of RAM. Plus, Android has plenty of games, including most of the major games. There are a few iOS exclusive games, but unless OP wants one in particular, OP will find plenty on Android.

9. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

10. double329 macrumors 6502

I had the Galaxy Tab S2 when it was first released. But, I ended up returning it after using it for three weeks. I returned the Tab S2, not because I didn't like it. It was more like I want to stay with Apple eco-system. I had been using quite a few version of the Samsung Galaxy tab. I think, the Tab S2 is the best Android Tablet. The performance was really good, no lag and good form factor. If I had to choose Android tablet, Tab S2 is my second choice next to the Pixel C tablet. The iPad mini 2 is slower model. I would got with the more current mini. I think it is mini 4. Whatever the model that uses the same processor as iPad Air 2. That would be the one to get. I bought my iPad Air 2 when it first came out and I am still enjoying using it everyday. it is still snappy and a really good performer.

11. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

By games, it's run of the mill like Temple Run 2 or even Fantasy sports.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I was actually close to getting a Tab S2 over the Mini 4. Compared to a Mini 2, unless budget is an issue, or you have a strong preference/need for iOS, it doesn't seem like much of a contest to me.

13. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I have a strong preference for iOS. It's a $100 difference, which is sizable enough for the Mini 4. I tried to get a 16gb model for a discount at Staples. They refused to help me out. Tab S2 has the better specs, but it worries me that reviews complain it heats up a lot and that the battery life is bad.

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Yes, the criticisms regarding battery life are mainly what made me decide to go with a Mini 4 in the end. At the time, I was using a Nexus 7, so getting another Android tablet wasn't an issue to me.

But still, compared to a Mini 2 which is now over 3 years old... And I do sometimes play around with the Tab S2 in stores, and I still think that it's an impressive tablet.

15. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I would go Mini 4 if I could've found the 16gb model at a good price range ($200-$220 range). I could get the Tab S 4 for $210 + tax.

16. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I currently own both a 8.0 Tab S2 and an iPad Mini 4, and previously owned a iPad Mini 2. The S2 is my favorite Android tablet so far, however it still pales in comparison to the Mini 4. The Mini 4 is just so much smoother, touchid is way more accurate, and every app that I use that exists on both is just plain out better on iOS (Trivia Crack, SSG2, SSG3, Mint, Zillow just to name a few).

Now the S2 vs. iPad Mini 2 would be a tough call for me. The Mini 2 is still a good device, my previous one my mom uses., but is 3+ years old now. Unless I absolutely needed one today I'd save a few more $ and get the iPad Mini 4. They were going for as low as $274 for the 32gb version. And if you aren't committed to the smaller form factor the iPad Air 2 goes for about the same (Target had it for $269 for a day earlier this week).

17. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I got the Mini 2 brand new in box for $199 + tax yesterday, just waiting to open it. It's a $100 difference, which is quite a bit at this time.

18. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

Let's see if the Air 2 or Mini 4 go around the $250 price range soon.

19. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I should be getting the iPad Mini 4 soon. It's going to be better than the Tab S2 by a long shot?

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

If you prefer iOS the Mini 4 is better. If you prefer Android the Tab S2 is better. If you have no strong preference, they're both really good 7.9"/8" tablets. I'm not sure which I would say is better. It largely depends on which features you prefer.

21. nburwell, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You're going to like the Mini 4. My fiancée purchased the Mini 4 for me over Christmas. I came from the Mini 2 which was starting to lag in my end (even with iOS 9.3.5 installed). I appreciate that the Mini 4 is a tad bit lighter, has improved screen, and runs very smooth compared to my old Mini.

22. srminton macrumors member

srminton

Samsung's commitment to the slate tablet market is dubious, to put it mildly, given their lack of updates. Google may also be veering towards hybrids with Android/Chrome in 2017. So if you want a traditional slate tablet for reading, games, etc., which you know will be supported for the next few years, I would go with iOS.

Repeating what others have said, I'd strongly recommend getting the Mini 4 over the Mini 2, even if you have to wait a bit longer to save up for it. It's much snappier, and also lighter/thinner, and has Touch ID, and does split screen. But Mini 2 is still a good budget option, especially if you get a refurb model for less than $200, and is fine for reading, browsing, videos, light games etc.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Samsung and Google get out of the slate tablet business and try to compete more in hybrids, because that's where the profit margins are now fatter (for everyone except Apple). Google will try to compete with the Surface, and Samsung will launch hybrids which run both Windows and Android/Chrome.

23. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I can't wait to get it later on. Touch ID and improved specs are the biggest additions I am looking forward to. I am glad I made the right decision.

24. nordique macrumors 6502a

As many have said get the Tab S2 or the mini 4

Both are superior than the mini 2 in every way and both will give you more mileage for your $

Personally I'd go with the mini 4; that's what I did. Tablets are things that many people don't purchase frequently unlike for example phones, so you want something that is supported for a long time (which apple does better than samsung)

25. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie