iPad mini iPad mini 2, spec bump only?

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I see the mini like the MacBook Air both are lightweight and aimed at specific market. That said the consumer has more choices to pay less and get a casual experience or pay more to get the full gloss of the retina display and the powerhouse that comes with it. I would than have to agree with this thread.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I think the smallest lightest tablet right now is the Nook HD and it has very good resolution/ppi. We will see what Apple can do with the Mini 2.

Plenty of small android tablets out there currently and I guess we will also see if they can beat the Nook's size and weight along with the screen quality going forward.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
I don't think they'll up the resolution until they can go to the full resolution of the larger iPad. They're always saying they don't want to make things more difficult for developers by having too many resolutions for them to develop for.

That said, they did change the screen size of the iPhone, so I guess anything is possible...!

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
How do you propose they do that without adding a new extra resolution that developers now have to target?
Developers have been given the tools they need to target that extra resolution.
Good chance to iOS 7 will make it easier still. Lots of carrots Apple needs a stick to drive adoption by developers.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The sticking point will be size and weight. Why a Mini 2 if it isn't much difference than the iPad 5?

I already posted back when about the rumored weight of the 5. If it comes to fruition, I would get it for size as it will be the bigger screen of the two.

Last edited:

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Retina is a bigger deal on the mini, as you hold it much closer and individual pixels are much easier to make out than Air.
Thats a good point, I have to hold the mini pretty close to make out necessary details. I don't think Apple will give it a retina this next pass, but you have to know its coming. My wife uses the Nook HD and its 7 inch screen its nicer IMO at half the price. Not a better overall product, but a nicer screen for sure.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
if the developers care about making money they'll go along with it
I think this go round that Apple is going to make it a very hard decision between the iPad 5 and Mini 2 to avoid the prior cannabilization. I would not even be surprised if the 5 costs less than $499 if the new Mini is $329.