iPad iPad mini 2 to iPad Air 2 worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thadoggfather, Oct 27, 2014.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Can get $175 (though +$50 coupon towards Air2) so $225 from best buy towards a new one and I have a 10% movers coupon from actually moving apartments.

I also have $225 from trading in my slightly aged and worn iPhone 5.

Also debating whether I'd get 16 or 64 since I use iPad 80% for Safari.

Has anyone made the leap?

I played with an iPad air 2 today, and the laminated screen and increased color gamut is nice (as is 2GB of RAM and A8x) but I don't know that I should upgrade or not..

But it does seem like a tempting deal.

Plus my rMini has 7.1.2 and is tweaked to perfection. I might inevitably be on iOS 8 jb anyways (like my iPhone 6) but.. I have come to like rMini size and move past its screen spec flaws.

2. mfr1340 macrumors regular

rmini. To air2

I have had them all except the 1. I had the air and rmini at the same time and liked the rmini so much when I had a chance to return the air because it just quit working after 3 months I did so. Then when the air2 was coming out I got cought up in the interest of all the upgrades. Now that I have the air2 I love it. It is so fast when surfing the web it makes it much smother. I will keep the rmini for the bed and when I go outside. I have it in a Zagg Rugged Fiolo and I am waiting for the Rugged Fiolo comes out for the air2. I just received a Poetic Slimline case and they are great for slim coverage. Also it was $5.00 and $4.96 shipping. It came and I recived a e-mail saying they are making a slight change to the new ones and they will send me a new one when they are done and I can keep the first one. Good co. Poetic.

3. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

I'm doing pretty much the same thing. I initially got the Air because the release date for the rMini was not guaranteed. Then when the rMini was released randomly I returned the Air for the mini because it was finally exactly what I wanted. I LOVE the mini but still miss the bigger size for doing certain things.

I could trade in my rMini but the value, to me, is not worth it. I would rather keep it for the uses it still gives me. That's why I am going to keep it and then also have the Air 2. Going to get one after work today! Excited. *crosses fingers for no defects*

4. mfr1340 macrumors regular

upgrade worth it.

I also updated from the 64gig to the 128gig when I went to pick it up because the extra 64gig for $100.00 means it will fit for the long run.

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Another thing to consider if not holding onto rMini or trading up for air2 is keeping and getting/test driving an air2 and maybe getting the two.

Not a fan of excess though

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Have the rMini 2 and love it. Looked at the Air 2 in the store and really liked the screen. Bought it Friday and been using it over the weekend.

Plus:
    Best iPad screen (easily)
    Very thin
    Fast
    Solid and well built
    Fast wifi and LTE
    Touch ID works great

Minus:
    Bigger than the mini

Still undecided but I truly love the screen on it.

7. jm5309 macrumors regular

Yes to all of this. It is gorgeous and powerful, and I did miss the big screen, but I still love the size of the Mini. I think if they made the specs equal, I'd probably stay with the Mini. Being an Apple fan is getting to be far too confusing for me with the recent decisions of rMini/Air 2 and iPhone 6/6 Plus.

8. taedouni macrumors 65816

I had an iPad mini 2 and didn't really use it that much when I got the 6+. The iPad Air 2 is a beast. Hands down the most improved iPad since the iPad 2.

9. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

I upgraded from the mini 2 to the air 2. I carried the mini to work most days. I loved/love it but after sometimes using my boyfriends air, I would feel it was just easier to read on his iPad. Videos are much better on a bigger ipad. So I considered selling my iPad mini 2.

Here are my thoughts, hopefully will help you:
    - air 2 much faster
    - wifi speeds are faster
    - more enjoyable to read and use the Internet.
    - it is light, very light. If you're at home - you won't notice a difference in weight from your mini.
    - When you're carrying it around say to work, you do notice a difference because of the form factor rather than weight. I am more afraid of ruining the air 2 than the mini if putting it in a bag (using a backpack for work) but this is easily fixable with a good cover. I'm using a Smart Cover right now and an old sleeve but ordered a dodocase because I like to carry it around like that if I take it outside the house. Just feels safer.
    - tabs don't need refreshing
    -screen is nicer and text more crisp.

So the main pluses are speed (and it is noticable but not HUGELY), 2gb of ram helps things run smoothly, it is lighter than the air and not MUCH different than the mini 2. The screen is better and larger just is nicer on your eyes.

The con is portability. You will now not be carrying around a small novel, you'll be carrying around a small novel but a medium size one (not a hardcover!).

Hope this helps.

10. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

Pretty much agree with all of this. Except I do believe the speed increase to be HUGE. It is SO much faster than my rMini and its also much faster than my 6+.

Because I love the portability of the rMini I ended up keeping it. It wasn't worth letting go for the miniscule trade in value. I will be keeping the rMini to take to work and as my travel iPad. The Air 2 is now my primary home use iPad. It is so nice. You really have to just get one and play with it for a night to understand how great it is. I got mine last night and couldn't put it down.

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy the Air 2.

12. sird28 macrumors member

I did the change from iPad mini 2 to iPad air 2 through the best buy deal. It was actually pretty decent. $200 for the trade in which was eh ok.... Then $50 additional when used for iPad Air 2.

So $250 off 599.99 wasn't a terrible upgrade cost.

Anyway I also went from a iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 plus which helped my decision. They were just too close for size, and now with Handoff and Continuity I basically use the iPad as my home Computer/Phone.

When out and about the iPhone 6 plus is awesome just like the mini was for videos and internet, but when I'm home the giant iPad is awesome.

I really think I picked the right thing for my needs and it makes it really nice vs the small screens I had before.

I totally think it is worth it, and touch ID on both devices is great!

13. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

test driving an Air2. jailbroke it out of the box.

Used the 10% movers coupon to get a 16gb wifi for $449, and after using $225 gift card (what I got for my iPhone 5), I paid $263 including taxes.

Best buy was giving $175 + $50 coupon ($225 effectively) if I traded in my 16gb wifi rMini at the time of.

Glad I didn't though, I already think I would miss the mini tablet. Plus if I jump ship I'd probably get at least that if not more on Craigslist

But I am enjoying the air, and its speed

I can't tell if its color profiles or not, the screen is nice for the most part ,but my rMini looks nicer looking at a lot of pictures. Very odd, bolder colors (even if not accurate) and sharper because of higher ppi.. I forgot cause I went iPad 3->rMini.

its also not as thin or light as I would have thought, but its certainly a good thin-ness.

14. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

In the end went back to rMini. Air2 is good stuff but not for me.

15. TJone macrumors 6502a

Wow I did the same and use the rMini to bring to work and for travel especially business air travel. I love the Air 2 but use it primarily at home. I love the portability of the rMini for business travel and if I am on a plane I can just put it in a large fleece jacket inner pocket. Also helpful when you don't want to leave it at your seat or in a bag when you go use the facilities. :) Its still a great iPad.