iPad Mini 2 users, upgrading to Mini 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thadoggfather, Sep 19, 2015.

?

mini 2 to mini 4?

1. yes

59 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. no

32 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. undecided

22 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

so are you gonna do it?

i'm undecided but color gamut and higher ppi than air2, but with laminated display, and touch id is tempting.

2. nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

If Im going to upgrade Im going for an iPad Pro + pencil. Ive been waiting for a long time for a competent stylus for drawing.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am holding out for Force Touch. Hopefully, we will see that in next year's iPad refresh...

4. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

I did, and I highly recommend it. It's an incredible upgrade in-hand.

5. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

The iPad mini 4 looks like a fine upgrade. However when it comes down to it, my iPad retina does what I need it to do, and I think I'm better off waiting for now.

I did upgrade from my original mini to the mini retina the day it was released (after owning the original mini for less than a year). But I use my mini for reading a lot, including pdfs, and the retina screen made it significantly more pleasant, so I'm happy with that decision.

I admit I am tempted though, and I haven't actually gotten to put my hands on one and try it out for myself yet.

6. MrGuder, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

MrGuder macrumors 68020

I'm undecided, got my mini 2 from the apple refurbished store and works great but I really hate the hollow sound it makes when taping the screen. I wished I had waited, the mini 4 has some great features, touch id, more ram and better laminated display but for the 64GB model it would cost as much as the ipad air 2 which is currently having some great deals. I'm thinking of just keeping the mini 2 and getting an ipad air 2. Still not sure. I think the ipad pro will be a bit too big.

7. radiologyman macrumors 6502

I will upgrade... Eventually, when price is right. Mini 2 is no slouch and I don't do anything on it that requires more horsepower. Better screen will come handy though

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

9. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I did and have been using it for 2 days. The iPad Mini 4 is incredibly fast and smooth. It is much louder and has a more solid sound then the Mini 2. The screen is noticeably more colorful - vivid. I am very glad I got the 4. It's a keeper.
    That said, the Mini 2 is still a magical and capable device. I had planned to sell my 32gb LTE Mini 2, but may not be able to part with my old friend. Is that being selfish? Maybe mount it in my car permanently.
    At any rate, I will hang on to both for a while before I make any rash decisions.

10. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

What has been the biggest part of the upgrade for you?

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

For me the speed and the increase in quality of the screen colors, not dimmed out like the mini 2. Huge improvement in my opinion. The thinner and lighter is pretty nice as well.

12. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

my wife had the first mini and she is blind and it was showing its age. it was stuck on 7 because we tried 8 and it sucked. lucky was able to bring it back to 7 before it was too late.

13. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

14. ipadking77 macrumors newbie

Which one is which?

15. newellj macrumors 601

Undecided.

Finally fixing the color issues with the display is very nice.

Touch ID felt like a gimmick a couple of years ago but my Mini 2 is the only iDevice I own that doesn't have it, so that would be nice.

The louder volume is nice but it doesn't get to the Air 2 level which is what it would need to do to make a difference to me (yes, I understand the physical limitations of the smaller case).

I'm wondering if Apple will introduce a nicer case option than the silicone rubber case.

For my needs for the Mini size, 64GB is overkill, so I may wait until refurbs turn up if I decide to upgrade.

16. Violafab macrumors member

Violafab

I'm not upgrading yet. My Mini 2 works perfect without lag or other problems I read about on MR.

I can't justify buying a new one, when my current Mini 2 is superb. But if I had the Mini 1, I would upgrade instantly.

17. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Undecided . . . for my use, the Mini 2 is fine--I use it all the time. But do like a few of the upgrades in the 4.

18. No-Me macrumors 6502a

I upgraded and I'm really happy I did, the screen looks nicer, it's lighter and a lot faster and that's what I needed, the mini 2 felt sluggish very often.

19. ozaz macrumors 65816

No.

If it supported Apple Pencil, I would have upgraded.

20. Yorkshire Lad macrumors newbie

Yorkshire Lad

I'll be changing from Mini 2 to Mini 4, but that's mainly because when I got my Mini 2 last year I made the mistake of getting a 16Gb version - should have bought the 32Gb one. 64Gb is probably too much for what I use it for, but heigh ho. My mum will get my Mini 2, since she likes to look at photos from relatives on Facebook and never got the hang of the laptop I gave her!

Gary

21. AintDutchNotMuch macrumors regular

AintDutchNotMuch

I'm not going to upgrade to the Mini 4. My Mini 2 is a super fast, stable and reliable little friend:)

I've seen that Apple ditched the mute/rotation switch, and I use that a LOT for locking and unlocking rotation. So I can keep using that. Also to me, the upgrade from the A7 to A8 processor is not significant enough to upgrade. I do like that the Mini 4 is thinner and lighter, has a better screen, 2GB RAM, and Touch ID would be very useful too. But, I will just patiently wait for the Mini 5 next year.

22. Nozuka macrumors 65816

was really disappointed about the mini 3 last year, which is why i bought the cheapest mini 2.

since im running out of space already and the biggest let downs (RAM, color gammut and cheap sound when touching the screen) were fixed, i'm upgrading to the 64GB mini 4 now.

23. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

I would love to upgrade to the Mini4 (from the Mini2) in the near future when i have the money for it.

24. goox2 macrumors newbie

goox2

Yes

Now using the mini4 and I love it so much
    Better color & better sound,
    And I really LOVE how light it is
    No problem to hold it by one hand all night

25. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

The Mini2 was on par with the frontline iPad of the day (Air 1). As such the Mini2 is no slouch today. I think I will holdout until a future Mini is on par with the latest Apple SoC used in the Pro; not wanting to be stuck using 1 year old technology right from the gate.