Resolved Ipad Mini 2 vs Ipad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tenganis, Nov 6, 2014.

1. tenganis macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I cannot decide between the ipad mini 2 refurbished, 32gb for $300 or the ipad air 2, 64gb, for $600 :eek:. What are your thoughts? I know the ipad air 2 is better overall (better screen, ram, more storage, faster, etc...), but it is twice the price, and I do like the form factor of the ipad mini 2 (and the fact I can basically hold it with one hand).

Has anyone gone through the same dilemma? What did you choose, and are you happy with that choice?

Thank you for your input!

2. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

There are many threads on this topic. The bottom line is some people (like myself) prefer the convenient form factor of the mini, while others prefer the larger nicer screen of the Air, and with the Air 2, there's also more memory and a faster processor. No one can tell you which will be more important to you.

Are you looking for a device to use mostly at home, or do you want one to take absolutely everywhere with you? If the former, the Air might be better for you; if the latter, perhaps the mini. Do you want to use it for sheet music? I'm told the mini is a bit small for that. Do you want a device you can hold in a line or on a subway without feeling conspicuous; some people prefer the mini for this. Do you want a device that fits in a purse or in a suit jacket pocket? Definitely the mini for that. Do you expect to carry it in a brief case or backpack; the Air is fine for that. Do you want to use a stylus or draw? Probably the Air is better for that. Do you want to make heavy use of Safari, typing in messages and switching tabs without losing your work? The Air 2, definitely. The speakers on the mini are on the quiet side.

One nice thing is Apple does have a 14 day return period (actually, much longer around the holidays), so if you get one and decide it's not the right one for you after all inside that window, you can switch.

3. Downs2011 macrumors regular

For now, there aren't many apps that allow you to utilize the extra ram. You probably won't notice the processor bump much because most comparisons have shown that performance on the Air 1(same specs as the iPad Mini 2) vs Air 2 have been extremely close. Within the next 8 months or so we should start to see apps use the 2 gb of ram more exclusively. But I don't think developers will make anything right now that would be so advanced that the older generations will decline in performance. So I would say go with the Mini 2 because you would be saving roughly $300 and still have a great device. If you do want something more powerful in the future, just sell your Mini 2 and upgrade. And hopefully by this time most developers will actually utilize the extra ram.

4. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

If you ask me, the refurbished Mini 2 at 259 euro is the best deal on offer of any Apple products right now. Sure the Air 2 is better spec wise but will you need those? rMini has the higher ppi on it's screen. Bot have their annoyances too, most notably colour gamut vs. vibration/rippling screen. Air2 doesn't do anything meaningfull that the rMini doesn't and the rMini does those things plenty fast. If you can live with the smaller screen, I'd say go for the rMini, save some cash and maybe upgrade it next year when hopefully a new even more awesome Air is released that brings something new to the table like splitscreen on iOS 9. And that has no compromises like the Air 2.

5. highdefjunkie macrumors 6502

highdefjunkie

I've always been a fan of the mini, however I sold my Mini 2 for an Air 2 and have had zero regrets. The Air 2 is amazing.

6. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Same. It's just too good not to get. My decision was made easier by the fact that I also have an iPhone 6 Plus. It's my iPad Nano. I've been using the Air 2 / Plus combo for a week now and it's pretty great. Only thing I would change is making the Plus 5.2" or perhaps reducing the bezel by a bit. Over time the size has become slightly annoying. For me I was also able to justify the iPad Air 2 because I was going from LTE to WiFi, which means it's cheaper and costs less per month. Now I just tether to my Plus, which is fast and easy in iOS 8 and has enough battery to tether for extended periods.

7. Charliebird, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I did the same thing. I was perfectly happy with my rMini however I'm also perfectly happy I switched to the iPad 2 Air.

Heck, just buy them both!

8. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Considering the OP brought up the financial aspect, being perfectly happy and keeping 300 dollar/euro in the pocket is the sensible thing to do.

9. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I fully concur and you definitely get a heck of a deal on the 32 GB models.

10. newellj macrumors 601

A local Apple dealer has cell+wifi 32GB rMini iPads for US$450.

11. tenganis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thank you everyone! I plan on going with the retina mini 2 32gb for $300! This will my first ipad. It's a good deal and I can always reconsider next year (aka. sell the mini and get next year's upgrade). :)

----------

Apple has it for $459 new and $439 (I think?) refurbished. I won't get the cellular version, but will probably get it from apple!

12. newellj macrumors 601

$479 new.

13. Finn61 macrumors newbie

Why upgrade next year? Buy the air 2 and keep it for two years, it's more logical.

14. tenganis thread starter macrumors member

Because I prefer the form factor of the mini 2 and it's $300 cheaper. Most likely the ipad mini 2 is enough for my needs. If after using it for one year, I no longer feel that way, then I can upgrade. However, I plan on keeping the mini 2 for more than one year if I continue to be satisfied with it.

----------

$459 in the education store though.

15. newellj macrumors 601

OK - but not all of us are still eligible. ;) BTW, that's a pretty miserly ed discount. :(

16. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Congratulations on your decision. I'm pretty sure you're going to love your rMini:D!

17. tenganis thread starter macrumors member

I won't argue with that! :)

18. New Apple macrumors regular

i also went for the mini (form factor is key to me, speed or size is secondary or not important, considering we are not comparing an ipad air 2 versus an iphone 1 -speed/size-)

and hey 12/24/36 months will fly
    all of the sirens and bells for the air2 will be gone and forgotten with the 3 4 and 6

enjoy the mini!

19. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

20. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Yeah the Mini 2 is a pretty decent price, who in their right mind would pay the big chunk extra just for Touch ID on the Mini 3.