iPad Mini 2 Worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jerhen, Feb 22, 2016.

?

iPad Mini 2 Worth it (16gb for $199)?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  1. Jerhen macrumors regular

I am thinking about getting a 16gb iPad Mini 2. Staples currently has it on sale for $70 off and it is priced at $199. I currently have an iPad Air 2 128gb and I was thinking about getting a cheap mini that would be more portable and easy to talk along with me. My Air 2 is basically my iPad that stays at home and I don't really take it anywhere. Is it dumb to have two (or 3 in my case because I have an old iPad 3 along with my Air 2) iPads? I think 16gb of storage would be enough because I could switch stuff back and forth between the mini and air 2. Is $199 worth it for a mini 2? I have never owned a mini and am thinking I would enjoy it because I currently have an iPhone 5s and an Air 2 and I feel like I need something in between for screen size because sometimes the Air 2 seems to big for portability and my iPhone 5s is too small.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is really up to you. I suppose I would rather get a new iPhone with a slightly larger screen than to buy a third iPad. However, if you think you really need something more portable that is larger than the current iPhone offerings, then it is a good deal to get that iPad. Have you looked at Apple's refurb store? I wonder if you could get it even cheaper.

3. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is that my phone contract isn't up until July of this year. It will be a while before I can upgrade. I think I checked the Apple refurb store and they are $229 which is more than the sale price at staples of $199.

4. Phuturism macrumors newbie

Got a mini 2 last year that our 5 year old constantly uses to play Minecraft and a smattering of other games she likes. It's perfect for reading or just sitting around to play a game or even watch something on.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

This is my combo:
    iPhone 6s, used when I'm on the go without iPads, and is tethered to my Apple Watch;
    iPad mini 4, used mainly at home;
    iPad Pro, used mainly at work.

My point is, what works for me won't necessarily work for you. You need to decide what you could afford and use.

6. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I voted no, but honestly it would really depend on your usage for it. I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad mini 2, but I never would have bought the iPad mini 2 myself, especially after using it. The amount of RAM in the iPad mini 2 is a real killer. Apps and Safari tabs constantly reload in the background, and the performance is a little sluggish.

If you're going to use it very lightly, maybe to read books, browse the web a little, or watch some videos, then $200 is a pretty good price for it. But definitely do not expect your iPad Air 2's performance in the iPad mini 2.

7. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

I kind of expected the performance to be a little bit sluggish since it has the A7 from 2013 paired with iOS 9. I kind of just want the mini as a device that I take with me and kind of do light stuff on. I usually leave my air 2 at home and kind of wanted a more portable device along with my air 2. What do you use your mini 2 for? Do you think $200 is worth it for a mini 2?

8. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

i this got me a ipad 4 LTE i would per too have the ipad 4 LTE for my go too go tablet then the ipad air 2

9. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Yeah, but it's even worse than the iPhone 5s. Honestly, I have no problems with the iPhone 5s on iOS 9.2.1. Tabs and apps don't reload constantly like they do on the iPad mini 2. I know that the iPad mini 2 has a higher resolution screen than the iPhone 5s, but I don't see why performance is so much worse.

But yeah, I really can't tell you if the iPad mini 2 is worth it for $200. If you get it and find it works fine for what you need it for, it's worth it. If you find the performance is just too bad and you don't use it, then it isn't worth the money. But if you really just intend to use it lightly, I'm sure you'll be fine with it.

I use mine for everything I use my iPad Air 2 for, and just wind up getting frustrated a lot when apps and browser tabs constantly reload, or the iPad takes a second to register input.

10. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you guys for your help. I have decided to forget about buying a mini 2 and when my phone contract comes up, get a bigger iPhone. My iPhone right now is basically my daily driver and looking at the size of the 6s, I think the 6s and my Air 2 would be a perfect combo and the mini would be kind of redundant.

11. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

i wouldn't buy it, but worth is all a matter of opinion..!

12. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

I love my iPad mini2 with 32GB and also have an iPhone 5s (32GB). I would never buy an iPhone or iPad with 16GB though.

13. Johnny365 macrumors regular

Johnny365

I don't really notice the ram limitations. I do video streaming services, and use Chrome browser with 1-2 tabs open at once. If I need more than that open, I just use the computer then.

14. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I traded in my mini 2 for a mini 4 and it was really worth the upgrade. The laminated display and Touch ID are both worthy of an upgrade and the faster processor is also very noticeable.

15. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

And the RAM. Very glad I never upgraded to the iPad Air and waited until the iPad Air 2.

16. family_guy macrumors newbie

I snagged a 128 LTE Mini 2 for $350 and would say it's worth it...if you don't have a large phone. My Note 4 is used much more than the Mini 2. However I do prefer the Mini for reading when I'm at home. Also playing games are easier in my opinion than on an full sized iPad.

17. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

18. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

That's really a matter of opinion. It's still supported with the latest software updates and therefore runs all apps. Is something out of date just because it's not the fastest model anymore?

19. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

It's out of date because it was released in 2013; the Mini 4 is a vast improvement with speed, screen quality, extra RAM and features etc.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Well it depends really for £199 it's not bad for an entry level iPad. You get access to the App Store and iTunes and if you can manage 16GB then it's ok. I think for most people the performance will be fine. I have the iPad mini 3 which is the same as the 2 except for Touch ID. It's not my main iPad, I have the air 2 and also have the iPhone 6S plus. It's slower in comparison to those devices but it serves it's purpose, I use it on my commute to work and occasionally in bed. The mini 4 is better for sure but as it only accounts for about 20% of my iPad usage it's good enough.

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

But still, that doesn't mean that the Mini 2 isn't still sufficient for lots of people's needs, and therefore may be a better buy if the price is low enough. I wouldn't make a specific recommendation either way without knowing more about the buyer, but I wouldn't say that a Mini 2 is never worth buying at this point.

22. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

It depends on your use cases. I have a WiFi-only 128GB Air 2, a cellular 128GB mini 4, and a 32GB mini 2. That sounds like overkill, and to most, it is, but it breaks down accordingly:

128GB cellular mini 4 - used for cellular and as a back-up to my phone should it run out of juice or should I want to do things that would cause it to run out of juice

128GB wi-fi only Air 2 - almost identical in terms of use, but like yours, mine only really travels with me home or to other people's homes...maybe to Starbucks to do writing, but that's it

32GB wi-fi only mini 2 - used exclusively for trying out beta versions of iOS or Jailbreaking

Taking the mini 2 places isn't all that much less inconvenient than taking the Air 2 places, especially since both only get internet from WiFi. However, taking the mini 4 places is better than both because I get internet everywhere. The difference in portability doesn't matter, however, prior to my having the Air 2 and mini 4, I had a cellular third generation iPad and that combination totally sucked because it was the worst iPad (in terms of both speed and portability) with the best connectivity. So, right now, unless I want to show off how much of a gadgetwhore I am or if I'm going to a friends place (or Starbucks to write on my Air 2), I only take the mini 4.

All that is to say that if you take your Air 2 to the usual places where you'll get WiFi, you probably won't have a need for a mini 2, unless, you have very specific use cases for it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2016 ---
    Also, to answer your original question: 16GB is terrible; you will barely be able to fit anything but streaming apps, Facebook, maybe one of the iWork/Microsoft Office apps, and that's about it. Given that hassle, while not a bad deal for an entry-level still-sold iPad, $200 isn't worth it.

23. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I manage just fine with 16GB, especially on my cellular iPad Air 2 with unlimited data. I use Google Music, Google Photos, Netflix, and TV streaming sites, so I don't store any pictures, videos, music, movies, or shows on my iPad but still have access to all of that whenever and wherever. I also only play a few casual games, so 16GB is fine for someone like me, and I wouldn't consider myself a light user. I just have a constant and unlimited internet connection.

24. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Unlimited data on an iPad isn't common, nor was the OP talking about a cellular iPad mini 2.