iPad mini 3 at discount vs iPad mini 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jazzer15, Sep 27, 2015.

1. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

I picked up a 16GB mini 3 with cellular at Best Buy during their $175 off flash sale. This would be used by my wife (replacing a broken 16GB mini 2), whose use is pretty much limited to internet browsing and email. I am wondering if I should return it and just get her the mini 4 for longevity purposes or if the discount is sufficient to justify buying the older tech. She isn't one to replace her devices very often. As an example, she is still happily using my old iPad 2 when in the house.

Thoughts?

2. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Based off of the scenario you described, keep it.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yup. Keep it. No need to spend the extra dough.

4. newellj macrumors 601

I am not a big fan of the Mini 3 because in general I think it's very expensive for what you get compared to a Mini 2, but you got a fabulous price on the Mini 3 so that isn't an issue. The only reason to second-guess your decision would be if you and your wife think she'd really get use out of Split View, which is the only multi-tasking function in iOS 9 that won't run on the Mini 2/3. I have a Mini 2 (same hardware as a Mini 3 except for the Touch ID sensor) and although part of me would really like to find an excuse to upgrade to the Mini 4, the Mini 2 (and therefore a Mini 3) still performs well enough that it's hard to find a compelling rationale. I think you're probably just fine where you are...

5. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

While the iPad mini 4 may be considerably better than the iPad mini 3, at $225, the iPad mini 3 was a MUCH better buy than the iPad mini 4 at $399. I suggest keeping it.

6. rkuo macrumors 6502a

it sounds like your wife liked the iPad Air form factor? So why not get the Air 2 on sale? The mini 3 still isn't a great deal at that price.

7. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Keep it. Unless her usage change, she should be good for a while

8. jazzer15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all of the responses. The consensus seems to be where we are coming out -- i.e., keep it.

newelj - I seriously doubt she would use split view, so that isn't an issue. The only thing I can see her doing that she hasn't done in the past (web browsing, email, review Facebook, check weather ...) and it would be very rare (if at all) might be to add a movie or two temporarily to watch on a plane flight.

Andres -- well it was a little more than $225 because we got cellular, but same idea.

The iPad Air form factor is fine indoors, but she prefers the mini form so she can throw it in her purse and if she is out somewhere and killing time she can check email or browse the internet. She doesn't have an iPhone and that screen would be too small anyway. The mini is a good compromise in terms of size and weight.