All iPads iPad Mini 3 in the roadmap

Discussion in 'iPad' started by metsjetsfan, Oct 16, 2014.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

does anyone think that this was in the 3-5 year product roadmap - to just give it touch ID even though they made the mini pretty equal to the air last year?

i wonder if the inventory on the mini 2 was just too high and they need to get rid of them and this will be the only one left.

2. MrGuder macrumors 68020

mark my words...it's the end of the road for the iPad mini w/ retina. Today's news is evident of that. In another year, the market will change and Apple will say sales of iPhone 6+ outshine the need for the iPad mini. Sad day.

3. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

I've mentioned it in some of the other posts, but I think it's all marketing strategy.

Last year, the Mini 2 sold very well, in part because the Air and Mini 2 were virtually identical in specs. So people that normally bought the "flagship" had a $100 cheaper option. From what I understand, the Mini 2 also had a lower profit margin than the Air, so it compounded the issue.

So, this year, they do a minor revision for the Mini 3, re-using most of the parts from the Mini 2. That lets them improve the profit margin on the Mini line (as they likely have bulk quantities of the parts), as well as push people back to the higher margin 9.7" model because it is significantly better by comparison.

Show people several less attractive choices to push people to the product you want them to buy, in this case, the Air 2.

4. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

i digg that. it wouldnt be too surprising if there was a june refresh of a thinner mini along with ipad pro