iPad Mini 3 WiFi/Cellular Model Question

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thesaz123, Mar 30, 2016.

1. thesaz123 macrumors member

Hi all,

Hope I am posting this in the appropriate subforum. I have an iPad Mini 3 WiFi/Cellular model (A1600) I bought a little bit less than a year ago. Turns out I don't use it as much as I thought I would, so I have listed it on a few local sale sites. I just wanted to confirm some information about it though.

When I bought it (at a Best Buy), I had it activated on-site with one of the AT&T Reps that hover about the store. They told me that I had a 2 year data agreement when purchasing it, and I had to sign something.

Stopped in at my local AT&T store this past Monday (28th) and the rep there confirmed that I would be able to sell my iPad Mini no problem, but I would have to continue paying the extra $10 a month for it. All good.

Now my main question is, is this iPad Mini ONLY able to be used on AT&T Cellular Networks, or do iPad Minis come unlocked from the factory? I have read differing information on a few different online forums, and want confirmation here. For example, if someone bought my iPad Mini from me, could they then take it to their current cellular service provider (Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc) and have it activated for use? Is this iPad Mini only able to be used on GSM networks, and not CDMA?

Thanks a ton!

2. thesaz123 thread starter macrumors member

3. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

I believe that all iPads, from the beginning, were unlocked. Some are only able to be used on the same band type, i.e. CDMA or GSM, but they are all unlocked. Your mini may not have all the LTE bands, but it should be "unlocked."