iPad Mini 3..worth it now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CaptMarvel, Sep 10, 2015.

1. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

I've been contemplating an iPad for a few months and came to a crossroads between the mini 3 or Air 2. I have a iPhone 6 Plus but plan on getting a MacBook Pro next year, so either iPad decision would be close in screen size as it relates to the iPhone and MacBook respectively.

With the iPad Mini 3 axed from the iPad lineup, is now the time to snag one? Does Apple stop support for devices no longer in their lineup which are technically predecessors of products still available ie. iPad Mini 1 & 2?

2. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

The Mini 3 is the same device as the currently under specked Mini 2. The Air 2 if leap years ahead internally. If you are speculating between the 2 devises you mentioned, the Air 2 is the way to go. So much more bang for the buck.
    The Mini3 is the same device (loosely) as the Air 1
    That being said, I have an iPad Mini2 and love it, and although it is currently my go to device, I would not buy another. I just ordered the Mini 4 and will be selling my Mini 2 straight away.

3. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

iPad mini 3 will probably be cheaper to snag but as someone who owns ip6 plus and a rMBP I find having a mini to be too small. It might be nice and convenient but that's what my plus is for. Air 2 is more of a sweet spot between having the phone and laptop..not to mention it has more to offer in terms of ram & upcoming iOS features. I'd recommend going for the air 2.

4. CaptMarvel thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Hmm...sounding like the Air 2 hands down, at least I'll be able to use split view as it was intended by going that route.

5. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

What exactly got updated with the iPad Mini?.. It was barely mentioned in passing as a device during the Hey Siri presentation. Seems like it got short shrifted.

6. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Yup. Barley mentioned, but it seems to have received the love from Apple it deserved last year. The Mini 4 now has the same specs as an iPad Air 2 - the processer isn't as powerful, but all other fronts have been updated to the current Air 2 specs

7. newellj macrumors 601

I don't think the Mini 3 *ever* made sense. It was a Mini 2 with a TouchID sensor and a much higher price point. The specs and performance for the Mini 4 aren't clear yet but it's probably a very worthy candidate if you want performance and features similar to (though maybe not the same as) the Air 2 in a smaller physical package.

8. insoc macrumors member

I can't by any reason recommend anyone to buy the iPad Mini 3 now that the 4 is available.

9. iceman42 macrumors regular

if they are looking for bigger storage on the iPad mini and want to save some money i would go with a refurbished iPad mini 3 from the apple refurbished store.

10. newellj macrumors 601

Unless you absolutely had to have TouchID, I would get a Mini 2 rather than a Mini 3. Other than TouchID, the hardware is the same and the Mini 2 is a much better value.

11. striders macrumors 6502

I have the iPad Mini 3 and I got it for 2 reasons:
    - TouchID: made my life so much easier now when it comes to password entry. I can create super strong password (long alphanumeric with symbols) and just use TouchID to login to sites, apps, etc.
    - Form factor: I need something small to carry around and the iPad is too big for me.

If you DO NOT need Split View and 2GB of RAM, you can save money getting the iPad Mini 3. Everything else are pretty much the same: TouchID, the rest of iOS 9 features, etc.

Oh and I got it 8 months after launch for cheap, brand new: $569 for 128GB LTE version. :)