iPad Mini 4 - Apple Smart Case Question

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by BigMcGuire, May 22, 2016.

1. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Picked up a heavily discounted Apple Smart Case for iPad Mini 1, 2, and 3 at Target today for my iPad Mini 4. Before buying it I googled around and people say it should work - might be a little small as the iPad Mini 4 is taller (it was a tad small).

However, upon putting it on my iPad Mini 4, the magnets are so weak that I can't even wrap the smart case around the back without it falling off. Even opening it causes it to fall off most of the time.

Am I doing something wrong or are weak magnets kinda normal? Probably going to return it to Target.

Thanks,

2. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I have an apple mini 4 cover on a mini 4 and the magnets are quite strong. I never need to align the cover because the iPad grabs it from about 1/2" away.

3. BigMcGuire thread starter macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Thanks jrs22 - figured maybe that's why the Target one was on discount, because it keeps getting returned (which is what I'll be doing). lol. Will get a new one from the store next time I'm at one.

4. Mac2me, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

So you bought a cover for the older models and are trying to get it to work on the new iPad mini 4?

I don't have a mini-iPad (have iPadPro) but thought I read somewhere here on the forum that covers for one model didn't work for the new version. The placement of the magnets inside the iPad were different so magnet alignment is different.

I was in my Target last night (started a thread in this section) and noticed one of my stores had some covers on clearance specifically for the mini 4. Might try looking for one specifically for your model. They are out there but it's hit or miss by store.

For what it's worth my iPadPro cover snaps right on, perfect alignment, and is a strong connection. Sure your issue is using a cover not made for it. Return it and I hope you can find the Mini4 on clearance.

5. BigMcGuire thread starter macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Yep, that was basically it @Mac2me - I just went back to Target tonight, they took back the old case without a problem, found an iPad Mini 4 case (not on sale, so only $20 more) and yep, got home, it snaps RIGHT on and locks on super strong - I have to work hard to get it to fall off.

iPad Mini 1,2,3 definitely won't work on an iPad Mini 4 - like @Mac2me and @jrs22 said - need an iPad Mini 4 case. I'm happy with a nekkid back and a much lighter iPad :) lol

6. jrs22 macrumors 6502

Just so you know, and I'm speaking from experience, the magnets aren't strong enough to lift the iPad by the cover.