iPad mini iPad Mini 4 - do u miss lock rotation button?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ron7624, Sep 20, 2015.

1. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I carry my Mini in my back pocket. With the Mini 2, I was endlessly having to flip the Silent/Screen lock button back to the up position when taking it out of my back pocket.
    This morning I just realized that I no longer have that problem when using my Mini 4. When I was reading about the new Mini while waiting on delivery, many people were complaining that it was gone. To me, it's is a welcome loss.

2. addictzz macrumors 6502

Not at all. Tried Mini 4 just now. I'd say it's perfect for me. The only thing that I might miss from Mini 2 is that almost totally non-vibrating casing. But that comes from much reduced sound volume. iPad Mini 4 is just loud and clear.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

4. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I stopped using that button when Apple introduced the control center.

5. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

I had not intentionally used it, it got flipped every time I slid it my back pocket. Actually I never thought of it as a problem, till the Mini 4 fixed it for me.

6. erasr macrumors 6502

7. dyn macrumors 68030

The iPad Air 2 also comes without that switch and I was a bit sceptical at first. Having a physical switch is quite nice. When it comes to muting I don't miss it all as the volume down button is rather quick in turning it down to 0 (I think it can do this in 1.5 secs or something). Rotation lock isn't something I'm using a lot and I'm used to how the iPhone does this (the switch on the iPhone only mutes, it's only since iOS8 that it can do rotation lock).

What I still dislike a lot is the fact that when I mute by using the volume button it only mutes the system sounds and not ALL the sounds.

8. newellj macrumors 601

Was wonder the same thing, LOL. No Bend-gate with the Minis??? :D

9. dyn macrumors 68030

Oh there is already a thread about someone only "mildly" pressing on the backside. I still find some peoples usage of these devices quite amusing. Apparently there are people pressing the backside of their device each day. The only thing I'm pressing are the buttons and the front side (hey, it's a touchscreen, right?!).

10. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

Mini 2 fits easily in the inner pocket of all my jackets :cool:

11. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I suspect I would miss the lock rotation switch if I upgraded from my mini 2 to a 4. The design of the control center makes it more awkward to rotate the screen than it ought to be. To go from being locked in portrait mode to locked in landscape mode using it, first you bring up the control center, then turn orientation lock off, then dismiss the control screen, then rotate the screen, then bring up the control center, then lock the screen, then dismiss the control center. You ought to be able to rotate the screen within the control center without having to dismiss it and bring it back up.

Has this improved at all in iOS 9?

12. ron7624, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015

ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

erasr said:
    What kind of pocket fits a Mini?!

All of my shorts, and most of my jeans. I never put full weight when I sit down and remove it before I do. Common sense would go a long way in aleviating problems such as Bendgate

13. newellj macrumors 601

That, and you probably have a better memory than most of us! :D