iPad mini iPad Mini 4 in six months?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by royinla14, Oct 17, 2014.

1. royinla14 macrumors 6502

I certainly hope that this is going to be a case similar to the iPad 3/iPad 4 upgrade after 6 months given the lack of any update or change to the iPad Mini 2 vs. 3.....very disappointed and not sure what is the logic behind not updating at least the processor and form factor. First time I am skipping a product launch. :mad:

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I think it's quite obvious that they're going to announce the iPad pro alongside an updated iPad mini.

3. Wbutchart macrumors regular

I so hope they do that, it would be hilarious.

4. applefanatic11 macrumors newbie

There is no way they'll have two ipad events in the same year. The ipad 3 and 4 were an anomaly.

5. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

Wasn't the iPad 2 released less than a year after the 1? I bought a first gen a few months after release and it seemed like the released the 2 very shortly afterwards. I remember feeling a bit screwed.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Not a chance. They will upgrade the rMini to an A8 next fall when the iPhone and Air get an A9.

7. scupking macrumors 6502a

I don't think we are going to see any changes with the mini for a long time. Just think the first mini is using the A5 and they are still selling it.

8. New Apple macrumors regular

6 months i really doubt, they would if they didnt present that crap v3

they might shorten the usual 12 months to 8-10 after they notice how ridicolous the last up....date was.

9. aneftp macrumors 601

Ipad 1 wifi was announced Jan 2010. But wasn't released beginning of April 2010. Cellular model wasn't released till end of April 2010.

iPad 2 was released March 2011. So almost one year in between releases.

Attached Files:

10. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

How did you come to this conclusion? Based on the iPad 4 release?

First time you skipped a launch, so either way you're no worse off. You aren't upgrading so if a new one does come out in 2, 5 or 12 months you're still happy, right?

When the original iPad Mini was released it was a previous generation chip so this may just be how Apple are going to roll with it.

11. 617aircav Suspended

Where is the evidence that makes it obvious? It's just wishful thinking.

12. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

No chance. If an iPad Pro is going to appear, it will be at the October 2015 iPad event.

13. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

It's not necessarily obvious, but they did update the specs of the iPad 4 and added lightning 7 months after iPad 3.

And it's not wishful thinking, I have no interest in the mini.

14. aneftp macrumors 601

iPad 3 to ipad 4 (7 months in between release) was only done

1. Switch to lightning cable
    2. Better processor

But more importantly it was to shift iPad release from late spring to early Fall release.

Similar to iphone release. Apple delayed iphone 4S (launched mid October 2011) to switch iphone release from Summer to early fall.

Apple probably realize summer month release for big revenue products wouldn't drive as many sales as fall releases that could capture some of the holiday months as well.

Think about it. How many video consoles have been released in the summer months? Most I know are released in late fall

15. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

I don't expect we'll see another Mini Refresh until Fall 2015. What is their incentive? The iPad 4 was pushed out early (as others noted) to get the tablets on a Fall cadence like the phone, give more horsepower to push the Retina display, and change to lightning cables. The Mini has none of those types of issues.

I could see a price drop and eliminating some of the older models perhaps, as the channel dries up after the holidays pass. Next fall, I expect bonded screen, A8, and a better camera. To me, I think they intentionally did a minor update to place more emphasis on the higher margin 9.7" models moving forward, which will in turn be usurped by the rumored 12.9" as brand flagship.

16. 617aircav Suspended

That's was done once.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Unlikely. The iPad3 to iPad 4 was to "reset" the launch period from spring to fall. The 3 and 4 were similar except for the processor. It was more of a speed bump than "all new model."

The mini 2 is decent. I'm not sad I'll be keeping it for another cycle. An update would have been nice, but clearly there was a cost or availability issue with the A8. Either they cost too much for the mini's price point, or Apple needs every one made to support the iPhone 6/6+.

18. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

It depends why apple made the 2 so good. Did they want full parity with the air or did they have to go a7 because they had to go retina and the a6 couldn't do it?

I expect minis to remain out of parity for the foreseeable future.

19. New Apple macrumors regular

imho it's not important if the mini will be upgraded LESS than the Air, it's important that it gets upgraded properly, and not NOT upgraded and more expensive

this year's 'non upgrade' and 'price up' was a total joke, hope they will be selling this year model within 5 years from now, that means they have loads in stock that nobody is buying, unless they offer them for 50% less.

not to say that gold option is useless and honestly crap (for snobs)

i can deal with it being the second in line (as power, behind the air) that's no issue

as my ipad3 is still running nicely, a miniRetina(1) is supposed to be better than that.

20. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

So now gold is for snobs.... The irony of such a statement.

21. awests macrumors regular

I think the iPad Mini will only be updated if there is a iPad Pro event in Q1 or Q2. Even then, that is a short life span for the mini 3 (~4 months), and mini 4 (~7 months). If not, they will skip the A8 processor and upgrade to A9 in October 2015.

22. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Well, carpola. I've got to wait another year now?
    I wanted them to take my money this year.