iPad Mini 4 or iPad Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ghsNick, Nov 20, 2016.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I love my iPhone and iMac but I want a little device on the go while I'm traveling. I don't need a "Pro" iPad but this thing will be bumped around a bit and won't be used for work.

I'm noticing that the Mini 4 and Air 2 are the same price at all storage options (is that right?!) and I'm trying to see which iPad is better...

I know the Air 2 has the A8X vs the Mini 4 having A8...other than that are there any major differences? It seems like the Air 2 would be a better bang for my buck (since they're the same price) but I thought I'd ask everyone on MacRumors. Thanks!

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

The air 2 is definitely superior with regards to internals; but personally, I've owned both of those at the same time, and didn't notice any real-world difference in performance. From a paper standpoint, the air 2 would definitely be the way to go, but I personally kept the mini 4 because I much rather the size for portability (it fits in my pockets of certain clothes).

I would say it really depends on personal preference. How you plan to carry it, and how much screen you need.

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I used to have the 12.9 Pro and it was just a hassle sometimes. I'm sure the Air 2 wouldn't be too large but I also have the DJI Mavic and read the Mini 4 would fit in my controller so I may just go smaller for that.

Crazy how Apple made them the exact same price even though the sizes of the screen are different.

4. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

The mini 4 is the better traveling tablet. You won't see a huge difference performance wise between the a8 and a8x for just your basic apps. Best Buy has a great deal right now for the mini 4 btw

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Yeah I know that feeling! That one was a beast. Looks like the mini is the better choice for what you want

I think it's just the way it worked out over time. In comparison of iPad lines, the iPad Air 2 has been replaced by the smaller iPad Pro, while the mini 4 is still at the top of its line. So there is more justification for the air 2 prices to drop since there is a better 1-to-1 option out there.

6. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

The BB deals are pretty good for the WiFi models. Are there any good deals on the iPad Mini 4 LTE versions though? The BB deals on those stink.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The Air 2 is regularly on sale and is my preference. Preferably, I like the 9.7 screen for the extra viewing space and it's speeds are similar to the 9.7 Pro. The Mini is smaller than what I appreciate. Also, just for reference, the mini is due for a refresh in March 2017, according to latest rumors.

8. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Well, I pulled the trigger on the BB deal on the Mini 4 (128gb) and got it for $375.

What I'm debating is the same deal for the Air 2 will be available on Black Friday and it would cost the same...

On the plus side I can use the Mini 4 with my DJI Mavic Pro drone...on the negative side I could get a larger screen / A8X for the same price.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It seems like this question comes up every week!

Anyway, I'll say what I always say: You're right that the only real difference between them is the A8X vs. the A8, and of course the size. I don't think that in most scenarios the extra power of the A8X makes a significant difference, unless you are doing a lot of processor/graphics intensive tasks. So I suggest going for the size that you prefer. When I bought my Mini 4 it was less expensive than the Air 2, but price wasn't a factor. I probably still would have gotten the Mini if they had been the same price back then because I like having a fully functional iPad that fits so nicely in the palm of my hand. However, others feel that the Mini doesn't offer enough screen real estate.

10. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I just got the Mini 4 and I'm super satisfied. One thing I noticed - the bottom right side gets a bit warm...is that normal?

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Excellent! Thank you for mentioning the Best Buy deal. I've been waiting for EXACTLY a deal like this.

12. WashupDawg macrumors regular

Indeed it does. I've had a mini 4 since March and the device heats up quite easily, both from normal use and charging.

The circuit board is placed on the right side. So that's where the heat comes from.

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I've had the Mini 4 since launch. I've only ever noticed it feeling warm while performing certain tasks while charging.

14. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what happened with Best Buy and the LTE models. Last year, right before Christmas I got a great deal on one and now you have to get a 2 year contract??? :-/