iPad mini iPad mini 4 recommendations

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PBMB, Sep 22, 2015.

1. PBMB macrumors regular

After reading several reviews and opinions about the new iPad mini (4), I think this may be the time that I will buy my first one. I have some questions though. I see that Apple does not offer a 32 GB model, which I consider like the best option for relatively light use during 2-3 years at least. Considering the price and the use intended, this essentially leaves me with the 16 GB option only.

My questions now.

(1) Will 16 GB be sufficient for light use, like occasional web browsing, some extra applications like Skype or a game? What about word processors for iOS? Are there any compatible with MS Office documents, allowing to edit and save such documents? If yes, will they work properly with only 16 GB storage room?

(2) How the GPS/GLONASS technology works in the iPad? Does it depend on a SIM card? Or is it completely independent? I see that only the cellular model has it. I know nothing about it, so don't hesitate to be detailed in your explanations.

(3) Can I buy in Belgium an Apple SIM card? The first Belgian Apple Store opened its doors a few days ago, but still Belgium is not listed in the countries where one can buy such a card. I don't see why, because Belgium is one of the 90 countries covered. Of course I will visit them to ask, I just wondered if someone here knows the answer already.

(4) I am new to iOS. I have the mentality of desktop computer operating system. It was quite a surprise to learn that there is no such thing as a file system in iOS. If you have any suggestions, tutorials, guides, applications that may ease my transition, feel free to post them here.

(5) What about file transfer? I am very reluctant to use any cloud service. Is it possible to perform local (iPad <---> computer) file transfers? If yes how?

Thanks!

2. PBMB thread starter macrumors regular

OK, here I am with a 16GB iPad mini 4. Regarding storage, the sum of "used" and "available" was 11.6 GB before updating to iOS 9.0.1 and it stayed that way after the update. According to some reports, iOS 9 takes up less room than iOS 8. Is that so? If yes, is there any way to free some more GB in this iPad? Which is the typical usage of iOS 9 alone with the default applications?

By the way, I asked about the availability of the Apple SIM in Belgium. The sales person said that it is not available because of some legislation restrictions. So, you can buy it from all countries around and use it in Belgium, because it is one of the countries covered, but you cannot buy it in Belgium. Nice!

3. jrs22 macrumors 6502

As far as file transfers - if an app allows for 'independent' files you can transfer them through iTunes, or email. In email you send them as an attachment and then 'open in' the appropriate app. What's appropriate depends on the file type and what apps are installed. So for example you can open a pdf in iBooks, but if you have a PDFs reader installed that would be another option that you're offered. If you're concerned about space and you're counting on being able to delete files you need to make certain that your apps permit that.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

1. No

2. The Cellular model has a GPS. The wifi model doesn't.

3. I not aware of Apple SIM cards being sold by themselves. Why would you need one? You'll get one with your Mini4.

4. There is no transition. There just is not a file system. Ios9 gives you limited access to you iCloud Drive. That's about it.

5. There is using iTunes, but I'd get used to iCloud if you are going to use an iPad. They're designed to work together. You will suffer needlessly trying to avoid the cloud. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

It's enough for surfing and Skyping and many casual games. Some games can be large though. There is an official Microsoft Word app for iPad. However, you'll probably find that editing Word documents on an iPad is not very convenient due to the lack of a physical keyboard.
    No SIM needed.
    Don't be fooled by the "90 countries". Only in the US and UK can you use local carriers with the Apple SIM. The other countries are covered through a company called GigSky, and their rates are expensive. You can get much better rates using a local SIM in Belgium.
    Many applications support iTunes File Sharing.