iPad Mini 4 Screen creaks

Discussion in 'iPad' started by boo98, Sep 29, 2015.

1. boo98 macrumors newbie

I just picked up an iPad mini 4 last week and got it all set up and played with it for a couple of days. Then I started to notice that there's one spot on the screen that slightly creaks when pressure is applied. I'm normally not the kind of person who listens to every little sound a device makes to believe something is wrong with it so it was noticeable. I brought it in to the Apple Store today and had one of the Genius guys check it out and he couldn't identify it but wasn't worried although he did say that if it really bothers me I could return it and get a new one. Just the thought of having to wipe out my iPad and go to the store to get a new one is a bit of a chore but I was wondering what everyone here thought. Does this sound like normal usage or should I exchange the unit?

2. Tapper123 macrumors member

I never noticed anything like that on any of my iPads, and I currently own a Mini 4 and Air 2.

If it bothers you, I suggest you do an exchange ASAP. Apple charges far too much money for these devices for you to feel anything less than 100% satisfied in its build and operation. There are going to be a small percentage of these mass manufactured devices that have small but annoying defects. Apple and all companies know this, and they account for a certain number of returned units when calculating prices.

3. iAmNotNeo macrumors newbie

I picked up a 64gb cellular space grey mini 4 last week that also creaks, on mine its the bottom right quarter of the screen. Pretty much anywhere in that area creaks as long as you aren't putting pressure on it from behind.

I took it to the genius bar for replacement, they didn't have any replacements in stock, but had new in the box unit's so I ended up doing an exchange.

It also exhibits the same behavior, looking up the serial numbers the first unit was week 36, the second week 35 both from the Foxconn factory in China.

For now I think I'll stick it out with this unit, and try a genius bar replacement later after they've hopefully fixed the manufacturing problems.

Anybody else or am I just unlucky?

4. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Picked up a 64GB Space Grey Mini 4 while I was in HK last week. Just tried applying pressure to the bottom right corner of the screen and have zero creaking noise.

5. vlinkz macrumors regular

Got the 128GB space grey model and it's built solid.

Get it replaced since they offered to do it.

6. macrumorsuser10 macrumors 6502

I just bought an iPad Pro, and it also makes an unusual creaking sound, like an unusual tap. Usually I cannot hear it, but when it's late at night in a quiet room (which is when I would use the iPad), it is audible. I may return it for a new one.
    ipad_pro_sound_2016_01_05.png

7. xixi.li macrumors regular

Your iPad is under warranty so just send it to apple store

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I've had my Mini 4 for a few months not and I definitely have not experienced any creaking. The thing is solidly built!

9. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

My iPhone 6 did that same thing. take it in to Apple Store and they will replace it. However the replacement one did it too so I just let it go. My newer ones don't do that anymore