Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
The bezel can be retained, even if there is no home button.

What purpose would the (bottom) bezel have then, if there is no home button? If it's about holding it...

And as for one-handed operation, this thread is about the possible discontinuance of the iPad mini, which still leaves all the other iPad models that can't be held easily without a bezel.

Why would they have to apply that to all the other iPad models?

They're not going to implement a new design on the mini that isn't also used on the larger iPads. The reverse is far more likely.

And yet Apple introduced the iPhone X that is a design not used on the larger iPhone 8 Plus ...

The edge-to-edge design is a necessity to get decent display size from a small phone. It's unnecessary for an iPad which, even with a bezel, still has plenty of space to work with.

I would argue that is not true of the iPad mini, which is the smallest and most portable iPad. True, if you use it with a smart keyboard in landscape most of the time the bezels are largely irrelevant, but if I can get more real estate from the iPad mini without compromising the form factor? I am all for that.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What purpose would the (bottom) bezel have then, if there is no home button? If it's about holding it...
It is.
And yet Apple introduced the iPhone X that is a design not used on the larger iPhone 8 Plus ...
The iPhone X is a model that is more advanced than the iPhone 8. It has been very clearly proven that iPad mini advancements are well behind other iPad models, usually by 1-2 years.
I would argue that is not true of the iPad mini, which is the smallest and most portable iPad. True, if you use it with a smart keyboard in landscape most of the time the bezels are largely irrelevant, but if I can get more real estate from the iPad mini without compromising the form factor? I am all for that.
Because most can't comfortably hold an iPad mini in the same way they hold an iPhone. That means the edge-to-edge display would interfere with comfortably holding the iPad mini. If display size is more important to an iPad user, they can simply buy a larger model, without having to worry about fitting it in their pocket or holding it with one hand.

The other factor is price. The OLED display used in the iPhone X would push the iPad mini price to a point that most people wouldn't buy it. A far more likely scenario is that they add TrueDepth camera system for Face ID (which Apple offers as a more secure authentication system), but leave the iPad form factors as they are. It's also quite likely the TrueDepth may be added to the iPad Pro, but the mini (if not discontinued) will get the A10 chip and a few minor spec bumps, but not get any leading edge features.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

I think the "holding" issue is a bit overblown. However, I will concede that you might still need some bezel at the bottom where your palm rests to support the iPad mini. It still doesn't mean you can't have smaller bezels on an "iPad X". Maybe not completely edge to edge at the bottom, but if the iPhone X can have a notch and still call itself "edge to edge"....

The iPhone X is a model that is more advanced than the iPhone 8. It has been very clearly proven that iPad mini advancements are well behind other iPad models, usually by 1-2 years.

So maybe the next iPad mini is the reimagined iPad X. That's actually the point I was trying to make. There's no reason that it can't be the leader for the iPad line.

Because most can't comfortably hold an iPad mini in the same way they hold an iPhone. That means the edge-to-edge display would interfere with comfortably holding the iPad mini.

See above, I suppose some bottom bezel (but still reduced) is fine for that purpose. The side bezels are already pretty thin, and the top bezel is irrelevant for holding purposes.

If display size is more important to an iPad user, they can simply buy a larger model, without having to worry about fitting it in their pocket or holding it with one hand.

I disagree. I want to retain the portability while having a larger screen, because why not?

The other factor is price. The OLED display used in the iPhone X would push the iPad mini price to a point that most people wouldn't buy it. A far more likely scenario is that they add TrueDepth camera system for Face ID (which Apple offers as a more secure authentication system), but leave the iPad form factors as they are. It's also quite likely the TrueDepth may be added to the iPad Pro, but the mini (if not discontinued) will get the A10 chip and a few minor spec bumps, but not get any leading edge features.

I'll admit I'm speculating more than making any reliable predictions. However, your argument is actually for the iPad mini as the first iPad with an OLED display - which would cost less since it is smaller, and as I suggested above, it wouldn't be called an iPad mini anymore, it would be an "iPad X" - high end consumer iPad in an iPad mini form factor. Besides, the larger size doesn't mean it's more expensive - iPhones are regularly at least or more expensive than iPads despite being smaller.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So maybe the next iPad mini is the reimagined iPad X. That's actually the point I was trying to make. There's no reason that it can't be the leader for the iPad line.

I'll admit I'm speculating more than making any reliable predictions.
Believe me, I wish you were right about the idea of having an iPad mini X lead the iPad line, not necessarily minus a bezel. However, Apple has already made it quite clear that it's moving in the opposite direction, introducing even larger iPads and giving the iPad mini the 2 year old leftover specs. I'll be happy if they just update it once more to an A10 chip, more RAM and maybe higher capacity. I don't expect anything more, since we may not even see that.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah I’m not on board with the whole bezel eradication across all devices. Bezels are many times necessary for a user because 1) accidental touch rejection doesn’t always work, which for me means it doesn’t work (I need to know when I’m holding my device I can hold it comfortably without ever accidentally triggering something, otherwise it would become subtly stressful to use my device), and 2) I don’t ever want to cover up part of a screen with my fingers.

So for me this is true on all iPads. On a phone however, which you comfortably hold in your hand in portrait orientation with fingers/palm on the sides, the side bezels aren’t necessary. But I prefer having the top and bottom bezels because in landscape orientation I can’t hold the phone the same way. I need a bezel to hold it comfortably and securely.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Alright I surrender, I shall rephrase - not edge to edge, not bezel eradication but reduced bezels.

Ultimately I'm not insisting on zero bezels. Samsung did it with their edge devices, which I believe wasn't very successful and made little sense anyway. I trust Apple to get the ergonomics right - no compromise on handling while still reducing bezels which is enabled via discarding the home button.

But bottom line, I'd love a flagship mini-sized iPad heralding "the future of the iPad / tablet" for the years to come.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi folks

I am tempted to buy Mini 4 but i am a bit disappointed that iPad Mini is most likely discontinued, no more update or new version

I like form factor and this is the perfect size to me

I am afraid iOS 11 will slow down iPad Mini 4

Would it be better to buy iPad Pro 10.5?

For basic usage such as streaming video, youtube, reading comic, manga and web browsing...

Thanks

I have an iPad mini 4 that I have purposely kept on iOS 9.3.5 because I was not a fan of iOS 10 (having used it extensively on my First Generation 12.9" iPad Pro) and between gauging iOS 11 performance on the iPad mini 2 and 3 (and adding a year as the mini 4 will surely run similarly to how the mini 2 and 3 ran iOS 10 and then run iOS 12 as horribly as the iPad mini 2 and 3 run 11 now) as well as peeking into my local Apple Store and playing with the display iPad mini 4 units running iOS 11, I have determined that, if I care about sticking with the iPad (sub)platform (of the iOS platform), which I do, then I need to find a successor. Long winded way of saying that I'm, more or less in the same boat.

The 10.5" iPad Pro appeals greatly to me, but I'm not getting it because it bears a new screen resolution and I'd rather forego a year of processor improvements to at least so that my older apps work fine on the iOS screen resolution that's been out for five years as opposed to the one that's barely been out four months. Also, the really big improvements to iOS device processor architecture came during the bump from the A8 processor family and the A9 processor family. So, I'm likely getting a "Fifth Generation" 9.7" iPad to supplant my iPad mini 4. That said, if you have the additional money to spend and aren't nitpicky about native resolution support on apps like I am, the 10.5" iPad Pro IS the better iPad of the two to get; no question.

There's an identical thread running here now.

It's not likely discontinued, and that's your real problem. You have no idea whether to buy a frankly dated piece of tech or to wait for the next gen, because none of us have any clue when Apple will update the Mini - but like the iPod Touch, I'm sure it will happen.

You have zero facts that you can point to, and no statistics to even suggest that your prediction is even likely. Trust me; more than anything, I hope you're right. But all logical signs point to the opposite. And the fact that you're giving advice that are neither based on facts nor statistics is sort of wrong.

It’s pretty irrelevant if the Mini gets discontinued (unless you’re waiting for a new model). The Mini 4 will continue to function and be supported for years to come. It’s not like Apple will stop providing OS updates or repair services.

Let’s say Tomorrow Apple announces there’s no more iPad Mini. First we have to ask ourselves why they are making the announcement on a Saturday, but that’s not the point.
What happens to the iPad Mini?
Apple will sell (most) of the remaining stock. Likely they will keep some around as replacement units. Buying today, with Apple Care, means you have repair support for at least two years. Apple will continue to provide iOS updates until something on the device makes an OS upgrade not possible. At which time the Mini will continue to function. At some point you will look for an updated device (maybe next year, maybe 4 years from now).

Long story short - the ONLY thing you need to worry about is a new Mini possibly coming out.

Consider trends and technology. For example, here's a trend to consider: iOS, with few exceptions (iOS 9, perhaps), requires more processing power than each previous release, causing older devices to run it slower than the previous version. It has been this way since iPhone OS 2.0.

Now, let's look at technology, the lowest CPU capable of running iOS 11 is the Apple A7 processor. The Apple A8 processor wasn't that substantial of a jump. The iPad mini 4 got an extra GB of RAM more than its iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, and sixth generation iPod touch counterparts did, sure. But as far as the processing power, it wasn't as big of a jump as the jump from the A8 to the A9 where we got a massive upgrade to storage data throughput.

So, it would stand to reason that iOS 11 is probably the A7's last hurrah and iOS 12 is likely the A8's last hurrah, barring any kind of iOS 9-esque release where the minimum requirements do not change version to version. iOS 9 mostly sorted through the bugs and glitches of iOS 8, and iOS 11 is pretty buggy and glitch-tastic, so we'll see. But if the trend continues as it otherwise has, then the iPad mini 2, at best, has until two years from now before it no longer receives iOS updates. Two years. Not many years and not "years to come" (unless "two years to come"). Two years.

Also, he comment about Android updates making it better for older devices is so very laughable. Android wishes it had half as good of resource management than iOS has.

I think you read the wrong meaning from the comment. iOS devices get regular system updates, the annual major bumps of which make devices run slower on average. Android devices, on average, only get one or two of said updates and these days, performance seldom takes a hit, which means that devices running Android 7 that are only getting the Android Security patches don't run any slower because they're not getting the massive bumps that make them run slower like iOS devices get. So, yeah, it's fragmented as all hell, but device performance doesn't take a hit anywhere near as rapidly.

The displays on the iPad mini 3 and the iPad mini 4 have the same specs, according to Apple:
  • 7.9-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display
  • 2048-by-1536 resolution at 326 pixels per inch (ppi)
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
The 4 also has:
  • Fully laminated display
  • Antireflective coating
But those are coatings on the display, not a change to the display itself. I've held the mini 3 in one hand and the mini 4 in the other to compare, and I don't see any display difference to justify the upgrade. I'm satisfied with the display. I would like significantly better performance, especially now with iOS 11, and perhaps better battery life, and the compatibility with things like ARkit. The mini 4 delivers none of that.

The mini 3 (and 2, for that matter since it's the same freakin' display) are a night and day difference between that of the mini 4. If all you are looking at is Apple's marketing pages, then you are really not getting the full picture. The mini 4 has a SUBSTANTIALLY better color gamut.

The iPad mini’s refresh cycle is reminding me of the Mac mini’s

Incidentally, neither one seems to have a long future at Apple. Real shame; Apple could totally make a Mac mini akin to Gigabyte's Brix line of PCs and it would be a very welcome change. Given Apple's desire to move away from replacable RAM and SSDs in favor of soldered-on equivalents, they could make them even smaller than the Brix systems (though it really wouldn't be necessary to do that and certainly not worth the cause).

You may be right for the broad market, but I tried a 6S+ for a few weeks on the theory that maybe I could ditch my iPhone 6 and Mini. It didn't work at all for me. It was too big to carry easily as a phone in a work environment, and it didn't provide either the functionality or the screen size of the iPad. I assume I'm a minority and that Apple's lack of interest in the Mini at this point is driven more by market demand than Steve Jobs' doctrinal views, but I really find the Mini a perfect iPad.

Someone else pointed out that there are quite a few Apple products in the "about to be extincted" category, if you look at product refresh cycles: the iPod Touch, the Mac Mini and the iPad Mini are all in some sort of slo-mo product cycle. But they're not dead till Tim says so.

The "Mo" in "Slo-Mo" implies that there's still motion. Two of those product lines haven't been touched since 2015, except to have models culled through 2017. The other one simply hasn't been touched since 2014. Period.

Also, when it comes to technologies in this day and age, products are only as viable as their continued development. While an iPad mini 4 is still functional in today's day and age, as is a sixth generation iPod touch or a Late 2014 Mac mini, buying something that is so out of date with no sign of being updated on any kind of regular basis (let alone, at all) isn't very forward thinking.

Only if the sole purpose of the mini was to offer a cheaper iPad, which many here will argue it wasn’t.

The opinions of the many here are irrelevant.

I think the size is perfect for home entertainment use. The bigger iPads are better for productivity but more of a chore to hold.

I won't disagree with your second sentence here. Your first one is totally subjective though. Incidentally, if I'm sitting on my couch and I want to watch a movie or a TV show, am I going to watch it on an iPad or am I going to watch it on my Apple TV? Probably the Apple TV.

But much better to carry around compared to bigger iPads. Mainly because they’re the biggest a screen can be while still being able to fit in a coat pocket.

There is a very wide range of preferences and uses. We can’t really make definitive statements about the demands of the masses based on the little data we have. There are too many factors to take into account, some unknown. Until someone does a very thorough mass survey that asks something like “If all specs and prices were equal, what size iPad would you prefer? And how would you use it? And what other devices do you have?”—until then it’s ultimately conjecture.

The demands of the masses are irrelevant when Apple's marketing is already telling of their plans. Clearly, the mini 4, based both on Apple's marketing trends, pricing, and emphasis (and lack thereof) is going to be phased out, whether people want it to be or not. Tablet sales trends, sales figures, all of that is pretty much irrelevant, likely with one exception: The mini tablet market came and went. Phablets are cannibalizing the mini tablets especially for those who are not likely to afford a mini tablet after buying such a big phone (which usually costs a premium).

Apple's actions suggest they've done the survey. And the results are in.

Apple has stopped selling the 32GB iPad mini. They haven't refreshed the mini line and instead introduced bigger and heavier 9.7" iPad.

The research data referenced in this Adweek article suggests tablets are used outside of the home less than 15% of the time. Given the "stay at home" role, the portability aspect of an iPad mini has little value. A few posters have emphasized the "pocketability" benefits of iPad mini, but in reality few people do that.
[doublepost=1507491608][/doublepost]

I agree it's a niche use and that's the main problem. Perhaps if current fashion weren't skewed towards skinny or muscular clothing, the mini would have a better market. For the average consumer, carrying two devices when one phablet can do the job (until they get home or to the office) makes more sense.

To be fair, I have often pocketed my iPad mini 4, but, like you said, it's a niche use and all of the things that make the mini form factor preferable to me over the 9.7" and 10.5" form factors are niche uses. The 9.7" 2017 "Fifth Generation" iPad is no worse for reading books, watching video, playing games, reading and composing e-mail than the iPad mini 4. I'm just less inclined to put it in my pocket and go places with it, or mount it in my car. Two cases that are obviously niche as all hell.

That is true for some people, but not others. There are many who prefer a more portable iPad, which is certainly not the same as a phablet.

It's true for Apple, and that's really all that matters.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The mini 3 (and 2, for that matter since it's the same freakin' display) are a night and day difference between that of the mini 4. If all you are looking at is Apple's marketing pages, then you are really not getting the full picture. The mini 4 has a SUBSTANTIALLY better color gamut.
My quote was not from marketing pages, but rather, technical specifications in the support section. As already stated, I (and others) see no difference between the 3 and 4 displays, so color gamut is irrelevant if it can't be seen.
No, it's not true for Apple. If it were, Apple wouldn't still be offering the iPad mini 4 along with the 9.7" iPad.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
My quote was not from marketing pages, but rather, technical specifications in the support section. As already stated, I (and others) see no difference between the 3 and 4 displays, so color gamut is irrelevant if it can't be seen.

Not that big of a difference between their marketing pages and their technical specifications. As for not seeing the color gamut, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe get your eyes checked? There is definitely a difference.

No, it's not true for Apple. If it were, Apple wouldn't still be offering the iPad mini 4 along with the 9.7" iPad.

Yet, which of them is the most affordable entry-level tablet? It used to be the iPad mini. Now it isn't. You literally have to pay more money to get an iPad mini than you do the entry-level iPad, and if space and physical size isn't an issue, but cost is, guess which iPad is the one that people will be more likely to buy? The fact that Apple hasn't discontinued it yet holds very little meaning to your argument when it's obvious that (a) they will and (b) in a matter of time. Great, so it's in the lineup for another six months to a year; that doesn't mean that Apple cares about it or will go out of their way to continue supporting it. All that means is that you can still buy one new for the time being. When it's that out of date and clearly besides the point of all of the other iPads, what good is that?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have an iPad mini 4 that I have purposely kept on iOS 9.3.5 because I was not a fan of iOS 10 (having used it extensively on my First Generation 12.9" iPad Pro) and between gauging iOS 11 performance on the iPad mini 2 and 3 (and adding a year as the mini 4 will surely run similarly to how the mini 2 and 3 ran iOS 10 and then run iOS 12 as horribly as the iPad mini 2 and 3 run 11 now) as well as peeking into my local Apple Store and playing with the display iPad mini 4 units running iOS 11, I have determined that, if I care about sticking with the iPad (sub)platform (of the iOS platform), which I do, then I need to find a successor. Long winded way of saying that I'm, more or less in the same boat.

The 10.5" iPad Pro appeals greatly to me, but I'm not getting it because it bears a new screen resolution and I'd rather forego a year of processor improvements to at least so that my older apps work fine on the iOS screen resolution that's been out for five years as opposed to the one that's barely been out four months. Also, the really big improvements to iOS device processor architecture came during the bump from the A8 processor family and the A9 processor family. So, I'm likely getting a "Fifth Generation" 9.7" iPad to supplant my iPad mini 4. That said, if you have the additional money to spend and aren't nitpicky about native resolution support on apps like I am, the 10.5" iPad Pro IS the better iPad of the two to get; no question.

You have zero facts that you can point to, and no statistics to even suggest that your prediction is even likely. Trust me; more than anything, I hope you're right. But all logical signs point to the opposite. And the fact that you're giving advice that are neither based on facts nor statistics is sort of wrong.

Consider trends and technology. For example, here's a trend to consider: iOS, with few exceptions (iOS 9, perhaps), requires more processing power than each previous release, causing older devices to run it slower than the previous version. It has been this way since iPhone OS 2.0.

Now, let's look at technology, the lowest CPU capable of running iOS 11 is the Apple A7 processor. The Apple A8 processor wasn't that substantial of a jump. The iPad mini 4 got an extra GB of RAM more than its iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, and sixth generation iPod touch counterparts did, sure. But as far as the processing power, it wasn't as big of a jump as the jump from the A8 to the A9 where we got a massive upgrade to storage data throughput.

So, it would stand to reason that iOS 11 is probably the A7's last hurrah and iOS 12 is likely the A8's last hurrah, barring any kind of iOS 9-esque release where the minimum requirements do not change version to version. iOS 9 mostly sorted through the bugs and glitches of iOS 8, and iOS 11 is pretty buggy and glitch-tastic, so we'll see. But if the trend continues as it otherwise has, then the iPad mini 2, at best, has until two years from now before it no longer receives iOS updates. Two years. Not many years and not "years to come" (unless "two years to come"). Two years.

I think you read the wrong meaning from the comment. iOS devices get regular system updates, the annual major bumps of which make devices run slower on average. Android devices, on average, only get one or two of said updates and these days, performance seldom takes a hit, which means that devices running Android 7 that are only getting the Android Security patches don't run any slower because they're not getting the massive bumps that make them run slower like iOS devices get. So, yeah, it's fragmented as all hell, but device performance doesn't take a hit anywhere near as rapidly.

Incidentally, neither one seems to have a long future at Apple. Real shame; Apple could totally make a Mac mini akin to Gigabyte's Brix line of PCs and it would be a very welcome change. Given Apple's desire to move away from replacable RAM and SSDs in favor of soldered-on equivalents, they could make them even smaller than the Brix systems (though it really wouldn't be necessary to do that and certainly not worth the cause).

The "Mo" in "Slo-Mo" implies that there's still motion. Two of those product lines haven't been touched since 2015, except to have models culled through 2017. The other one simply hasn't been touched since 2014. Period.

Also, when it comes to technologies in this day and age, products are only as viable as their continued development. While an iPad mini 4 is still functional in today's day and age, as is a sixth generation iPod touch or a Late 2014 Mac mini, buying something that is so out of date with no sign of being updated on any kind of regular basis (let alone, at all) isn't very forward thinking.

The opinions of the many here are irrelevant.

I won't disagree with your second sentence here. Your first one is totally subjective though. Incidentally, if I'm sitting on my couch and I want to watch a movie or a TV show, am I going to watch it on an iPad or am I going to watch it on my Apple TV? Probably the Apple TV.

The demands of the masses are irrelevant when Apple's marketing is already telling of their plans. Clearly, the mini 4, based both on Apple's marketing trends, pricing, and emphasis (and lack thereof) is going to be phased out, whether people want it to be or not. Tablet sales trends, sales figures, all of that is pretty much irrelevant, likely with one exception: The mini tablet market came and went. Phablets are cannibalizing the mini tablets especially for those who are not likely to afford a mini tablet after buying such a big phone (which usually costs a premium).

To be fair, I have often pocketed my iPad mini 4, but, like you said, it's a niche use and all of the things that make the mini form factor preferable to me over the 9.7" and 10.5" form factors are niche uses. The 9.7" 2017 "Fifth Generation" iPad is no worse for reading books, watching video, playing games, reading and composing e-mail than the iPad mini 4. I'm just less inclined to put it in my pocket and go places with it, or mount it in my car. Two cases that are obviously niche as all hell.

Just don't know how to have a discussion and/or let things go?
[doublepost=1507598953][/doublepost]
Not that big of a difference between their marketing pages and their technical specifications. As for not seeing the color gamut, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe get your eyes checked? There is definitely a difference.

Yet, which of them is the most affordable entry-level tablet? It used to be the iPad mini. Now it isn't. You literally have to pay more money to get an iPad mini than you do the entry-level iPad, and if space and physical size isn't an issue, but cost is, guess which iPad is the one that people will be more likely to buy? The fact that Apple hasn't discontinued it yet holds very little meaning to your argument when it's obvious that (a) they will and (b) in a matter of time. Great, so it's in the lineup for another six months to a year; that doesn't mean that Apple cares about it or will go out of their way to continue supporting it. All that means is that you can still buy one new for the time being. When it's that out of date and clearly besides the point of all of the other iPads, what good is that?

Is this some kind of compulsive need to argue?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not that big of a difference between their marketing pages and their technical specifications.
Technical specs are technical specs, regardless of where they're mentioned.
As for not seeing the color gamut, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe get your eyes checked? There is definitely a difference.
My eyes are fine, just old. Many others have also stated they see no difference. Read earlier posts in this thread where that was discussed.
Yet, which of them is the most affordable entry-level tablet?
Price is irrelevant. The 9.7" iPad did not replace the iPad mini, as it's a completely different model with different specs. Whether Apple discontinues the mini or not, the 9.7" iPad is not a replacement for the mini.

Reactions: sorcery

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Legit thought. I still enjoy mine as a secondary and remote control. I wouldn’t pay full price for one but BestBuy keeps putting them on sale for $280-299. Possibility even better pricing as we get closer to the holidays. Apple should continue to support the mini 4 for a few years so you’ll get good use out of it.

I bought a Mini 4 from BB for $269.00 in July. Good suggeston to watch BB for sale price. At $269 I am more than pleased. Not at all worried about discontinuation or future updates.

Hope you find one!

Reactions: canali and rgarjr

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Just don't know how to have a discussion and/or let things go?
[doublepost=1507598953][/doublepost]

Is this some kind of compulsive need to argue?

umadbro?

Technical specs are technical specs, regardless of where they're mentioned.

Indeed. Therefore your inability to recognize the better color gamut does not preclude it from existing, just because it's not listed in Apple's pages.

My eyes are fine, just old. Many others have also stated they see no difference. Read earlier posts in this thread where that was discussed.

You must have missed the DisplayMate discussions about the display earlier in the thread. Also, have you ever done a side-by-side comparison of an iPad mini 2 or 3 alongside an iPad mini 4? Sorta helps.

Price is irrelevant. The 9.7" iPad did not replace the iPad mini, as it's a completely different model with different specs. Whether Apple discontinues the mini or not, the 9.7" iPad is not a replacement for the mini.

It replaces it in that price point in the lineup. Price is not irrelevant, price is everything given that Apple is a marketing-focused company. The iPad mini is no longer the most inexpensive iPad in the line-up, which is significant, whether it serves the same practical function (which I'll agree with you, it doesn't fully) or not.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

If you’re expecting to run your Mini 4 on the latest version of iOS and in tip-top shape.. then yeah, i’ll Give you your two years.

However, I have a second generation iPad at home running iOS 7 and it runs great for casual tasks. It’s not a workhorse, but it runs perfectly well. Just because an iOS update comes out, doesn’t mean you have to upgrade. If you don’t upgrade your version of iOS off of 11, it will last you as long as the battery and the screen lasts.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
If you don’t upgrade your version of iOS off of 11, it will last you as long as the battery and the screen lasts.

I would agree but what happens if you ever have to restore your device? It forces you to update to the latest iOS. That's the problem for me.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
The bezel can be retained, even if there is no home button. And as for one-handed operation, this thread is about the possible discontinuance of the iPad mini, which still leaves all the other iPad models that can't be held easily without a bezel. They're not going to implement a new design on the mini that isn't also used on the larger iPads. The reverse is far more likely. The edge-to-edge design is a necessity to get decent display size from a small phone. It's unnecessary for an iPad which, even with a bezel, still has plenty of space to work with.

I disagree. I think an ipad without bezels is as valid as an iphone without bezels. To retain the same size screen, but shrink th over all size of the ipad itself improves portability. Totally valid.

Reactions: canali

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Also, have you ever done a side-by-side comparison of an iPad mini 2 or 3 alongside an iPad mini 4? Sorta helps.
Your question is evidence that you didn't read the earlier comments in this thread, as I had suggested. Sorta helps.
It replaces it in that price point in the lineup. Price is not irrelevant, price is everything given that Apple is a marketing-focused company. The iPad mini is no longer the most inexpensive iPad in the line-up, which is significant, whether it serves the same practical function (which I'll agree with you, it doesn't fully) or not.
Price is indeed irrelevant. As you can see, if you read this entire thread, the discussion about the iPad mini is not about its price, but rather its form factor. It is its position as the smallest-sized iPad, not the least expensive iPad, that makes it appealing to those who are concerned about its discontinuance.
I disagree. I think an ipad without bezels is as valid as an iphone without bezels. To retain the same size screen, but shrink th over all size of the ipad itself improves portability. Totally valid.
Try holding a full-sized iPad with one hand with no bezel. Good luck with that.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Your question is evidence that you didn't read the earlier comments in this thread, as I had suggested. Sorta helps.

Price is indeed irrelevant. As you can see, if you read this entire thread, the discussion about the iPad mini is not about its price, but rather its form factor. It is its position as the smallest-sized iPad, not the least expensive iPad, that makes it appealing to those who are concerned about its discontinuance.

Try holding a full-sized iPad with one hand with no bezel. Good luck with that.

Lol. Wait...how is that hard? Im holding my ipad now in landscape mode...and my palms or fingers aren't even touching the bezels on any side. Apple already has palm rejection. Youre telling me that even IF yourfingers touched the side of the screen on a bezel-less ipad, apple couldnt do something similar with side finger tip rejection? Really? Gimme a break. A bezel-less ipad would totally work. It'd have a smaller physical size and the screen would not only look amazing, it'd be easy to hold.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Its a matter of compromise, an iPad Mini like iPad Pro 10.5 sounds good to me but not fully borderless, otherwise there isnt much bezel to hold enough with your hands

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Is there a situation you need to do a restore outside of a messed up update?

Well just for messed up phone software in general, doing a restore is one of the final troubleshooting steps. It doesn't happen often of course, but it has been known to be necessary on occasion. So it's a small gamble (? for lack of better word), but it's a gamble.

Edit- I suppose that since a device eventually can't receive iOS updates, the real question is does Apple allow devices to get updated to the point that they are significantly less usable than they were with their original iOS version? If no, then most people shouldn't need to worry about buying an "old" device such as the mini 4 (as long as they get a fair price). It will be pretty much guaranteed to work sufficiently for the entire life of the hardware. If yes, then the same will likely be the case, the only difference being there will be an off chance that a person will have to do a restore, thereby slowing down their device (or dropping support of older apps).

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If you’re expecting to run your Mini 4 on the latest version of iOS and in tip-top shape.. then yeah, i’ll Give you your two years.

However, I have a second generation iPad at home running iOS 7 and it runs great for casual tasks. It’s not a workhorse, but it runs perfectly well. Just because an iOS update comes out, doesn’t mean you have to upgrade. If you don’t upgrade your version of iOS off of 11, it will last you as long as the battery and the screen lasts.

The problem with that is that you run into installed apps that no longer update and therefore don't offer full current functionality, which may or may not be a problem, and new apps that won't install. Even the native apps can be problematic. I've done this with an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. It can work if you have limited expectations. It's not a panacea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.