iPad mini 4 Storage Options

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Trin813, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Trin813 macrumors member

Trin813

picked up my mini yday from Apple 16gb wifi only...starting to second guess my storage option. I realize that response will vary on how you use your device but what configuration did you choose?

2. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

My personal rule of thumb is 64GB minimum on any Apple device I own. Apps will continue to grow, update files grow, picture quality will increase...64GB just seems to future proof things for the time being. I tend to be a file hoarder sometimes or just the comfort of having the files I need on the device in hand. To each it's own, however Apple's iCloud storage options aren't that bad for file storage if you have a 16GB device.

When the 128GB storage option was announced for the iPhone 6 Plus, that was all I needed to hear.

Attached Files:

3. royinla14 macrumors regular

I got the 16 and by the time I left the store already started guessing. I had the 16 ipad mini 2 and then got the 32 cause it wasn't enough and just wished they would already drop the 16 option and start at 32. Anyway I thought I'd test the mini 4 16 and then return if needed a larger storage but then decided I'm not even gonna do that and drove back to pick up the 64. It gives me a piece of mind to know I have more than enough space to download whatever I want. So I guess if you can spend extra 100 then do that

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Still can't believe they are starting at 16GB again on iPads.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

6. Trin813 thread starter macrumors member

Trin813

I do have the 50gb additional cloud storage however that space is also used between my other devices as well..you hit it on the head about future proofing as I have been able to slide by with 16gb in the past but I think I'm going to go return and purchase the 64gb as iPi plan to keep for a few years.

7. Trin813 thread starter macrumors member

Trin813

I'm feeling the same as you were getting ready to pack this guy back up

8. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i had a 32 mini and it was always near capacity.... I would have to delete stuff often...

I went with the 64 and hope I'm ok with that... I did go back and forth over which one to buy before ultimately decided that twice as much was a good jump!

that said... I would never buy a 16GB (I have a 128 phone and ordered 128 again in the S version)

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I bought a 16GB mini 2 from AT&T for $99. Before I had any music or pictures or movies, I had 2.8GB free. Nah. I traded it for a 128GB mini 4 at the Apple Store. Now I loaded 12K pics, 3.5K songs, a couple of movies, and have 40GB left. Oh yeah.

10. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

64gb minimum. 16 gigs was criticized 4 years ago for being insufficient.

11. Trin813 thread starter macrumors member

Trin813

Wow that is plenty content and available space, nice! I'll stick to just getting the 64gb on the mini but I have my 6s+ on the way with 128gb that should serve me better on that device.

12. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

How much usable space is available on a 16GB mini 4 out of the box ?

13. Trin813 thread starter macrumors member

Trin813

It was at 11.4 or so if I remember correctly. Yea that's not going to work for me

14. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

I dithered on this. I have 64GB on my iPad 3, and have 10 GB free. But I figured over the next several years, my usage would grow. So 128GB.

15. newellj macrumors 601

I totally agree. It's probably a bigger issue with the iPhones because people tend to use them more than iPads for video and still photos, which can eat up storage very quickly at a time and place where you can't quickly or economically off-load your videos or photos. Even so, just the OS and a reasonable number of apps can go a long way toward filling a 16GB device.

I'm happy with 32GB on my Mini 2, but I have almost no media stored on it. My Air 2 is 64GB, which I think is a good number for normal use.

16. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I have NO problems whatsoever with the 16GB Mini 4. I have just installed everything I'll need, and still have 8GB left. No need for music on the device, as I always use Spotify. Generally I use a lot of cloud services that offloads the need for space..

Have everything I need like:
    - Word, Excel, Powerpoint
    - Textastic
    - Working Copy
    - Dropbox
    - Spotify, Netflix
    - Facebook + Messenger
    - Trello
    - 1Password
    - Adobe Acrobat
    - Google Maps
    - FotMob
    - Banking apps

It more than fulfills my need.

17. croaker macrumors newbie

Went for the 126GB, which gives you an actual 110Gb

I went for the largest after filling up my 32gb mini 1
    Its good enought room for some apps, I'll keep photos on Amazon Cloud, but the space is really for magazine subscriptions