Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
I've never had a thing for the iPad mini's....always thought too small and what's the point, why not just buy a 9.7 inch iPad?

Well, I had the opportunity to use a friend's iPad Mini for a few hours and I loved it! It was the perfect size and fell in love with it. My question is, with rumors stating Apple may discontinue the Mini line, would it be worth it to buy an iPad Mini 4 this day in age? How is the Mini 4 on iOS 11? Can the Mini 4 hold up a few more years? It has already been out since 2015....:eek:

I fell in love with the iPad Mini a little late in the game :(

Reactions: Ravi_MR

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
Definitely my favorite iPad. The perfect size for travel and using on the couch, in bed, etc.

ios 11 runs fine - just don’t expect everything to be perfectly smooth.

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Yes, it’s worth it, still good for mail, Safari, twitter, kindle on ios11. Newest kindle app is getting a little sluggish on load of a book but is ok while reading.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have one and it works fine with iOS 11. Just don't pay full price, look out for discounts or buy a good used one.
I agree with looking around for good prices. Unfortunate for the OP, they just missed out on some Black Friday deals on the mini 4.

As for buying a used one, I wouldn't recommend it unless (A) it is a great price and (B) know how long ago it was sold new. I'd be hesitant to buy a used 2 year old iPad because I wouldn't know how well the battery will hold up for the NEXT 2 years.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Worth getting but not a full price as others said. If you can find it for $299-279 yes. Full price it's a rip off considering Apple will need to either update it or kill it this spring. Its already well over a year old and only sports an A8 chip. I love the form factor and hope to high heaven Apple releases a Mini Pro this spring. That is the one to hold out for if you are going to pay $400+.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Unless it is under a substantial discount, imo it is very difficult to recommend the mini 4. Even worse, it's the only model on the mini lineup. So if you really like the form factor, you don't have much choice, unless you want to wait next year and see if Apple decided to refresh it (or kill it).

Reactions: Jmacc

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
Thanks everyone. I'm hoping Apple will keep the Mini line and refresh it in the coming months....fingers crossed. I think I'll hold out until then.

Reactions: pacorob

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I was a bit weary to update my Mini 4 to iOS 11, but it's running the software pretty smooth thus far. I toyed with the idea of getting the 10.5" Pro, but I decided my Mini does everything I need it to. All packed in a nice, travel friendly size.

I still can't beat getting it for $250 from Best Buy (had a $50 GC that I used on it).

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
No, it's not. The A8 chip is starting to show its age. I can't believe Apple didn't just give it the A9 like they did with the current 9.7" iPad to keep the mini going.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
No, it's not. The A8 chip is starting to show its age. I can't believe Apple didn't just give it the A9 like they did with the current 9.7" iPad to keep the mini going.
Because every Apple product with Mini in it's name either gets killed off or gets treated like the red headed stepchild.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I still love my iPad mini2 and will update one day to mini 5 if it will arrive otherwise I might buy the 4 at a discount price. I won't however buy it in the App Store for 400+ euro for a 64bit version these days because that is way too pricy for such an older device.

Jmacc

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
SF, CA
Definitely one of the best sizes for reading, accounts, quick transactions, word games. A8 chip starting to stutter though. They will hand a bunch of business to the Kindle Fire if they kill it.

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
It really depends on what u use it for.

Netflix, iTunes/Music/Movies, Reading, Games, Web surfing. Nothing crazy.
[doublepost=1512132431][/doublepost]
Definitely one of the best sizes for reading, accounts, quick transactions, word games. A8 chip starting to stutter though. They will hand a bunch of business to the Kindle Fire if they kill it.

I was actually considering a Fire tablet, but after reading it appears Amazon has an old a** version of Android underneath their operating system. I had the very first Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 that came out, and after a few months its basically a paper weight; slow, choppy, a big mess. Very very hesitant on going back to anything android.

Hoping Apple refreshes the iPad Mini line next year.
[doublepost=1512134505][/doublepost]Ok, so Best Buy is doing the 20 Days of DoorBusters event. Everyday you go online and check what the Doorbuster of the day is. Looks like on Dec. 11th they will have an iPad on doorbuster (don't know which one yet, maybe it will be a nice deal on the Mini 4)

By the way, Dec. 2nd and Dec. 19th they are going to have MacBooks on Doorbuster.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The Mini 4 is still a very good tablet, in my opinion.

I still use mine quite extensively, even though I also have an iPhone 8 Plus.

That being said, I do think that Apple is pricing it too high. It makes little sense to buy one at full retail price over the 2017 9.7” iPad, unless you’re really in love with the smaller form factor, or laminated display.

To anyone thinking of getting a Mini 4 now, I would suggest looking for a sale, or maybe hold out in the hopes that Apple will launch some kind of Mini 5 in 2018.

Reactions: Jmacc and Ravi_MR

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
The iPad Mini 4 is an amazing tablet. The ONLY fault I can find with it is that I wish it had Apple Pencil support.
It’s fast, snappy, and all around amazing! I carry and use it daily. I have no idea what people are talking about being “sluggish” or “not smooth” on iOS 11 - my iPad Mini 4 is just as smooth as any of my other iPads.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I also use my mini4 extensively, and have no problems with it whatsoever. If it goes to $299 again at Best Buy, I would recommend picking it up, as others have said!

Reactions: iApple_man

PKoz

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
Sad truth. These days Apple seems to think bigger is always better. But sometimes smaller is better, especially in consumer devices. But not as high margins...

I hope Apple sticks with it. They should add pencil support to it. It will find its niche if they keep advancing it. Without updates I think people get more cautious and thus Apple finds themselves in this situation. It’s self fulfilling in my opinion. They need to keep updating each device with compelling new features.

Reactions: subjonas

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
If you're just using it for basic tasks, yes, the ipad mini 4 is still a viable ipad and will continue to be for awhile. But keep in mind, it is over two years old at this point already. And ipad mini tech was already behind other ipad tech as it is. So It's that much closer to where future ios updates & apps may slow down your ipad mini or not work at all. I believe that if you can honestly use something productively now, you shouldnt play the waiting game, and go ahead and just buy it....however, theres something to be said for waiting too. Especially if you're concerned about the longevity of your ipad.

I could see Apple releasing a new ipad mini as early as March/Spring and then update the ipad pros in the sumer/fall. Thats kinda what Apple did earlier this year when they released the low cost 9.7" ipad before the latest pros. I really could see apple doing this again in 2018, but releasing an ipad mini update in March/spring before the 3rd gen ipad pros later in the year.

Theres also the posibility of Apple releasing an ipad mini pro in March...and then a radical redesign of the 10.5" & 12.9" ipad pros in the summer/fall. Many rumors are circulating that the 2018 ipad pros will mimic the design elements of the iphone x with face scan ID and go borderless...but without oled screens. If this is the case, then what will the screen sizes be? Will Apple keep the current 10.5" & 12.9" screen sizes but just do away with the bezels? How will that affect the current smart keyboard covers? Or will Apple actually increase the screen sizes to fill the space once used for the bezels? And if so, will Apple then release a bezel-less ipad mini size as well? And have 3 ipad pro sizes?

This would be cool...but there are also rumors of Apple releasing an even BIGGER 6.8" iphone X next year alongside the 5.8" iphone X and a 6.1" bezel-less but LED screened iphone 8s! If so, this news may actually confirm the death of the ipad mini...especially if next years iphones will be able to use the apple pencil.

So many possibilities! It's anyones guess. But there is a consnsus of opinion that the ipad pros will see a radical redesign next year. Wether this includes an ipad mini update is not certain.

Last edited:

PKoz

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
If you're just using it for basic tasks, yes, the ipad mini 4 is still a viable ipad and will continue to be for awhile. But keep in mind, it is over two years old at this point already. And ipad mini tech was already behind other ipad tech as it is. So It's that much closer to where future ios updates & apps may slow down your ipad mini or not work at all. I believe that if you can honestly use something productively now, you shouldnt play the waiting game, and go ahead and just buy it....however, theres something to be said for waiting too. Especially if you're concerned about the longevity of your ipad.

I could see Apple releasing a new ipad mini as early as March/Spring and then update the ipad pros in the sumer/fall. Thats kinda what Apple did earlier this year when they released the low cost 9.7" ipad before the latest pros. I really could see apple doing this again in 2018, but releasing an ipad mini update in March/spring before the 3rd gen ipad pros later in the year.

Theres also the posibility of Apple releasing an ipad mini pro in March...and then a radical redesign of the 10.5" & 12.9" ipad pros in the summer/fall. Many rumors are circulating that the 2018 ipad pros will mimic the design elements of the iphone x with face scan ID and go borderless...but without oled screens. If this is the case, then what will the screen sizes be? Will Apple keep the current 10.5" & 12.9" screen sizes but just do away with the bezels? How will that affect the current smart keyboard covers? Or will Apple actually increase the screen sizes to fill the space once used for the bezels? And if so, will Apple then release a bezel-less ipad mini size as well? And have 3 ipad pro sizes?

This would be cool...but there are also rumors of Apple releasing an even BIGGER 6.8" iphone X next year alongside the 5.8" iphone X and a 6.1" bezel-less but LED screened iphone 8s! If so, this news may actually confirm the death of the ipad mini...especially if next years iphones will be able to use the apple pencil.

So many possibilities! It's anyones guess. But there is a consnsus of opinion that the ipad pros will see a radical redesign next year. Wether this includes an ipad mini update is not certain.

A 6.8” iPhone X would be great with pencil support. Reading a book on that screen would be pretty good too.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

Do you have anything to back up “iPad mini is fine only if you’re doing basic tasks” or are you just speculating (incorrectly) that the iPad Mini can’t handle more than just basic stuff? Other than not working with AR Kit what makes you think the mini can’t handle more?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.