iPad ipad Mini 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NorthSeaBeach, Dec 8, 2014.

1. NorthSeaBeach, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

I'm reading all these stories about a possible Mini 4 to be introduced alongside the iPad Pro, maybe as soon as in spring. From what I read, Apple will drop the original Mini and the Mini 3 from the line-up and will keep the Mini 2. On Macrumors some seem to be convinced that the Mini will be dropped altogether. To me that would be both a shame and foolish. I love the Mini and according to Tim Cook user satisfaction is a stunning 100%. Can't imagine Apple leaves this part of the market to the competition.

I'm curious about your take on this. Will we see a Mini 4 in springtime, will it be on par with the Air 2, or are these all just rumours and is the Mini 3 the end of the Mini?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi

It's just that -> Chinese Whispers and Conspiracy Rumours.

Apple do as they see fit usually but one hopes they do keep a good solid line up of available choices.

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I personally don't think so. The reason is that the iPad mini, in my opinion, was always supposed to tail behind the full sized iPad in terms of specs, much like a what they do with the iPhone line. Last year, the SoC used in both the iPad Air and iPad mini had very few differences. Really the only difference was the screen size.

Go back one year, and the orginal mini had last years specs (at the time, A5) just like this years model. I believe the only reason the mini 2 got the A7 was to move more of the product line to 64-bit ARM. Otherwise, it would have gotten the A6 chip. I believe that next year, the mini will be upgraded to the A8 (not A8X) processor since the iPad mini after all is supposed to be an entry model.

4. New Apple macrumors regular

any time you buy an ipad on launchday, Cupertino already has prototypes of next generations
    it's all a matter of time

5. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I wish I knew the answers. My hopes are to see the Mini 4 in spring, but my gut tells me that I'll be waiting till October. I also do feel that it will have the majority of the current Air 2 features, while the Air 2 will leap to newer heights in October. Only Apple knows the sales ratios, but from what I see, what my friends and family have purchased, I see a lot of Mini 2"s in use. I don't think it will be discontinued.

6. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I would think if they were to drop any models they would drop the Mini 1 and Mini 2 - it would make more sense to keep selling the Mini 3 as I'm sure Apple want to get TouchID into the complete product line asap to push Apple Pay.

7. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Next spring, I'm fairly certain Apple will release a large iPad plus, an iPad mini 4, and an iPod touch. The iPad mini 4 will, unbelievably, be 30% thinner. The larger iPad will get the A9 chip, and the iPad mini 4 and iPod touch will get the A8.

8. quailman421 macrumors newbie

9. matraco macrumors regular

A new ipod touch with the latest stuff would be great, cant see it though.

10. NorthSeaBeach thread starter macrumors regular

You're right. That would make sense.

11. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I don't see why the iPad mini is "supposed to be" an entry model... I like the mini for the size. I seriously think the full size iPads are way too big after using my friend's air for awhile. The mini is more comfortable for me as a couch device. The cut price of the mini is nice... But I would be willing to pay like for a $449 16GB, $549 64GB, $649 128GB iPad mini where the full size iPad would be $499 for 16GB, $599 for 64GB, $699 for 128GB. I know that would never happen but I don't want to compromise things just because I like a smaller form factor... I would have been willing to purchase a mini 3 if it had everything the air 2 had, but at those price points.

But still, I can seriously stick my iPad in my sweatshirt pocket for a second if I need to use both hands for something. I can comfortably lay in bed and use my iPad, I can curl up on the couch on my side and have the iPad still fit in the small space that's left. I love that.