iPad Mini 4 ??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marc55, Aug 12, 2017.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

1. I need to replace my current iPad Mini 4, and am wondering if the current version has any upgrades over the original Mini 4, as I would hate to buy an iPad version that's 2 years old

2. Have any of you guys seen any news on an iPad Mini 5?

Insight appreciated; thank you
    M

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

No upgrades... exactly the same... and no Mini 5 rumored or real... It's a sad day for iPad Mini fans.

3. lookn4wifi macrumors regular

lookn4wifi

The current Mini 4 has a higher storage capacity at 128GB, which is the only option currently offered. Earlier releases of the Mini 4 included 16, 32 and 64GB models.

4. Greenmeenie macrumors regular

Greenmeenie

This is the big question. Im currently still using my ipad mini 2! There were rumors of an ipad mini pro being released alongside the 10.5" & updated 12.9"...but they obviously didn't pan out. It may still happen, but there have also been rumors that Apple is going to discontinue the mini altogether. I hope thats not true. But the mini 4 is 2 yrs old already, so i really wouldn't buy one of those. Perhaps Apple will update the mini during the release of ios11 this fall. But i've seen no leaks about it anywhere. So its anybody's guess.

Becuase of this, im going to upgrade to an ipad 10.5" pro. Cant keep waiting for a pro mini....or any mini for that matter. Still, part of me thinks Apple won't discontinue the mini and will update it eventually. You just have to ask yourself if you can afford to wait.

5. 007p macrumors 6502a

Worth waiting till after the iphone keynote, two years ago they updated the mini 3 to the mini 4, with a year old processor and less than 10 seconds of a mention during the keynote.

There's a very small chance they could update the mini 4 processor to A9, but that's about it. There wouldn't necessary be any rumours as it's only a spec bump, but it could happen. Given the recent iOS 11 features, A9 upgrade would be very beneficial to it, whether it's enough to warrant Apple bothering who knows :(

If it doesn't, might as well get the mini 4 as it's either dead or next update possibility wouldn't be till around March/April.

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

good point about the mini 4 announcement at the keynote.
    But I'm a bit more optimistic about the future of the mini's future. I think there's a possibility (longshot) that Apple releases a Mini "Plus" that has a processor bump AND support for the Apple Pencil.

7. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Would love to see this. I would also be perfectly happy if they introduced a Mini that matches the iPad (2017) and keeps pace - two entry-level models taking advantage of mature production lines and higher profit margin. Same processor, same screen tech, same storage, knock $50 per model off the Mini. Continues the same screen resolution, etc etc.

8. 007p macrumors 6502a

I think we might have heard something about that by now for it to be in September.

I'm very much hoping the mini isn't dead, I just don't see much happening 'soon', by that I mean in 2017. Anything could happen in 2018 though :)

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Nobody heard about the 2017 9.7 iPad before it dropped. It was literally out of the blue. So there's hope. :D

I admit that this is a heavy dose of "wishful thinking" as I'd love to ditch my 12.9 Pro and get a maxed out Mini Plus (to complement my 11" MBA as my mobile solution).

10. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

Went to the Apple Store today for a repair issue. While waiting, I noticed that all the employees were carrying around the 9.7" iPad as their work device. I believe the mini used to serve this function.

I didn't take it as a good sign.

11. bensisko macrumors 65816

Not really higher, but I guess you could say higher entry level. I bought a 128 Mini 4 as soon as they were announced.

I can't recall Apple Store employees ever using the Mini 4 (or any other mini) - they always use the 9.7" models and the phones.

There really isn't any solid data one way or the other. If Apple sees the Mini just as a low-cost entry iPad, then there will be no more Mini. If Apple sees the Mini as a true alternate form factor, then they will make the Mini 5.

12. Greenmeenie macrumors regular

Greenmeenie

Bummer. But I"m still gonna wait until next months iphone & iOS 11 release. Still hoping an ipad mini update will be quietly announced. If Apple doesn't do it then, i think the last chance is when the ipads get the rumored radical redesign in 2018. Don't know what it'll be, but some are saying the ipad pros ext year will follow the design of the iphone 8. No bezels and with an OLED screen. If Apple does do this, maybe the 10.5" & 12.9" will stay the same physical size but just increase the screen sizes? Or maybe the screens will stay the same size, but the bezels will go away? I just wonder if they'd also release an ipad mini pro into this lineup.

I can't wait until next year tho. So if Apple doesnt announce new mini ipads next month, I'm just gonna pull the trigger on the 10.5" ipad pro.

13. bensisko macrumors 65816

Here's a run-down:

• Who should NOT buy an iPad Mini 4:
      • If you already have a Mini 4
      • If you HAVE to have the absolute latest hardware and can't rest at night if you don't have the maximum about of RAM and the latest processor
      • If you think a iPhone+ is big enough
    • Who SHOULD buy a Mini 4
      • Anyone who wants an excellent mobile iPad

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I don't know if I would look at it like it's not a good sign. I can tell you that Apple Stores or other retail stores tend to use the latest iPads for work reasons and it's also a way to market the product to the consumer. In my local Apple store. they do use the latest iPads from my experiences. I think it can be a conversational piece if the customer wanted feedback from the employee what they thought about the iPad or questions pertaining to the 10.5 more specifically.

15. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

No employee at an Apple Store I have ever visited used a Mini

16. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

That's not true at all.

We heard about the low-cost 9.7" iPad more than 6 months before it was launched. More than 2 months before it was launched, Kuo confirmed it was running an A9.

17. Col127 macrumors 6502

thanks for posting this - i was going to ask about the 4 and roadmap. i'm allowed to buy an iPad for work and i don't want a pro - it's too big and heavy , i just want something lightweight.

part of me wants to wait until september to see if they release a mini 5, but it seems doubtful since it's already been 2 years.

18. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

We would have heard something by now. Apple iPad sales aren't exactly stellar. They're not waiting several quarters for a timed leisurely launch.

A refreshed mini would have come out in March 2017 with the low-cost 9.7". TSMC's 10nm production was pushed back to Q2'17 which is probably one of the reasons why the iPad Pro refresh was launched in June.

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Well, it was 2 years and 5 months between the iPad Air 2 and the 2017 iPad. :)

20. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

21. Dave-Z macrumors 6502

They sold more iPads than Macs and increased iPad unit sales by 28%. "Stellar" is probably an understatement for iPad sales.

22. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

You make it sound like that's unexpected. Every analyst on the planet expects Apple to sell more iPads than Macs. The ASP of iPad is far lower. Apple is also expected to sell more iMacs than Mac Pros.

iPad sales have declined significantly since 2014. That's the metric, not after 13 quarters.

23. Dave-Z macrumors 6502

@JPack,

Most analysts I read are ridiculous in their interpretation of Apple's performance. It’s okay for us to disagree though, I’m only responding to your comment about them not being stellar when most companies would love to have that lack of "stellar" in their portfolio.

24. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk