iPad mini iPad mini 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by twdawson, Dec 11, 2018.

1. twdawson macrumors regular

twdawson

is this still a viable purchase in 2018.
    The reason I am asking is that I like the form factor.

It will be used for Netflix and reading books and other general stuff.

I need your opinions please.

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

It's still a very good tablet, and really without competition in the 7-8" form factor.
    However, at full price, it is a bit overpriced at this point. I think that Apple is still selling it for the same amount as when it launched in 2015!

If you can get used to the larger form, the 9.7" iPad is much better value.

3. twdawson thread starter macrumors regular

twdawson

I can get the 128 gig for £299 from Argos in the uk. Apple are selling the same one for £399.

I do worry why the Argos one is that much cheaper.

I have a 9.7 but can’t get used to the size.

4. macbookhair macrumors regular

I'm amazed they're still making it. I had an iPad Mini 3, great little device. It's a shame they did the Plus iPhones as they totally killed the iPad Mini's market position in doing so.

It seems like a zombie product right now, very underpowered. Safari is not very snappy on it, for example.

5. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Yeah Safari may not be snappy on your mini 3 but i have no issue with it on mini 4 with the extra GB of ram.

6. 0970373 Suspended

I still have my Mini 4 and while browsing can still be a little slow, it's a perfect size for reading and watching video on the tube/subway. It still runs really great as long as you aren't expecting to do a bunch of crazy stuff on it or do a bunch of multitasking. It's a consumption device.

I did cave and got the 9.7" as well but also could not get used to the size. Well, it's not that I couldn't get used to it. I just don't like it. It's too big to be the portable device that suits me and my needs. So I still use the Mini 4 more often. The 9.7" never really leaves the house and I already have a MBP and a MBA so what to I need this for at home?

Anyway, I think £399 is too much to pay for it at this point. If that Argos one is new in box, that's pretty good. But you can probably find a used one in good condition for less. Depends on how much time & effort you want to put in.

7. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

My Mini 4 is still running great and doesn't ever feel slow (even during web browsing). The experience has been consistently better than the Mini 2 I had before (I upgraded to the Mini 4 in 2015). That said with the A8 in it, it is definitely not worth paying full price for as it will likely only be supported until fall 2020. If you get it for a good deal then maybe...

8. ImAnAgent Suspended

ImAnAgent

I bought a mini 4 yesterday to kind of replace my mini 2. The mini 2 still works but I wanted a little bit more updated mini. I just didn't realize the 4 was so old. I thought it was released this year. Not sure if I will keep it.

iOS 12 had taken away the ability for me to manage my data plan through the iPad. It worked on iOS 9.0.1 which I was running until just a few days ago and now it's gone on iOS 12. The mini 4 still allows that.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Yeah, I would say that performance on the Mini 4 is still quite good, it's just ridiculous for Apple to expect people to pay the same price for a device in 2018 going into 2019 as they did in 2015 when its specs were much more current. It's like if they were still selling the iPhone 6s at its launch price!

10. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

iOS 12 saved the mini 4, was brutally slow before for me, runs decently now.

11. EssModelsRule macrumors regular

Well, $399 only got you 16GB of storage back then, but yeah, it is long overdue for an update and/or price adjustment.

12. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I love my mini 4, and if it broke I would quickly replace it. It's in my jacket pocket as I write this. Yes I know the 2018 iPad is better value, but for some of us the form factor is worth it.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I really have loved the iPad mini form factor. I've been holding off on replacing my mini 3 with another, hoping for a bigger spec bump than the mini 4 offers. Now it's looking like Apple may discontinue the mini altogether. I was disappointed by that prospect until I was recently in an Apple store and had a chance to check out the new iPad Pro. I must say, it's not as big as I expected, and now I'm leaning toward the 11" Pro to replace my mini. The form factor may be larger, but the trade-off is getting the latest and greatest in terms of available specs. My opinion only. YMMV.

14. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Well if size is of no importance to you the 11" Pro is a fine device. But it is no way a viable alternative to the Mini 4 for those who need an iPad in the Mini form-factor.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree that it's not a replacement for the form-factor, but since it's looking like there won't ever be one, it becomes a matter of adjusting criteria to find the next best choice.

16. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Two facts lead me to believe Apple still has plans for the mini: 1. Ming Chi Kuo stated that it would receive an upgrade and 2. The fact that Apple actually acknowledged the product during the October event. I would love the same form factor Mini with an edge to edge display like the new Pro’s.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would love that, too. Based on the history of upgrades I fear, however, that any upgrade would be a minor spec bump that would still leave it far behind the most current models. I would certainly prefer that they offered the iPad Pro in the mini form factor, with all of its capabilities. I'm not holding my breath on that.

18. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I have a new iPad Pro at work but prefer using my mini 4 at home for Netflix and other entertainment use. Is it noticeably less snappy? For sure, although it is still acceptable. I really wish Apple would refresh the mini line soon, as I still use it daily and love the form factor. But if my mini 4 broke now, I definitely would not pay full price to replace it. It’s not worth it with the dated hardware.

19. ImAnAgent Suspended

ImAnAgent

I’m still trying to decide whether or not I want to keep mine. Luckily the Apple Store has the extended rerurn period through the middle of January so I can return it anytime until then. I used my 12.9 inch iPad Pro 2018 model to post this.

20. kierennyc, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

kierennyc macrumors regular

Aside from a very specific work related task that I can only perform on OSX, the iPad mini 4 is by far my most used electronic device. Period. I own an iPhone XS Max and it’s not even close to challenging the mini 4 for any ‘digital consumption’ that I do. Sadly, if you pay full price you’re not getting a great deal, but it’s still a very capable tablet on iOS 12 and imo the best form factor for everyday prolonged use.

21. EssModelsRule macrumors regular

You can routinely find them at Best Buy or other US retailers for $250. It’s still a capable device but as others have said paying full retail today is a bad deal. If your Mini 2 can make it until March, maybe try to hang in there with it.

22. subjonas macrumors 68020

For me, there is no device that beats an iPad mini for prolonged consumption (mostly reading/browsing) and quick productivity tasks. It gets more screen time than any of my devices (iPhone, iPad Pro 12.9, MBP, Mac mini, TV), and with weekends maybe even more than my work computer haha.

By far the main reason it gets the most use for me: its size. It has a bigger screen than a phone, but still small enough to grab and read with one hand (a pop socket helps). This enables me to rather comfortably use it all around the house for hours on end. Bigger iPads simply cannot effectively fill this role for me, regardless of their better specs. Sure, I’d like to pay for higher specs on the mini if I could, but the specs are secondary to the size for me. It only needs to perform decently, which the mini 4 does.

But the price does need to match the performance, and the projected remaining years of support. I made sure to wait for a good sale before I bought my mini 4, since I bought it later in its life.

I bought the outdated mini 4 not only because it’s more useful to me, but also because I felt it was important to vote with my wallet. By buying an outdated mini, not trading up to the bigger “better” iPads even at comparable prices, I, a regular consumer, was able to send Apple a message in the only language they understand that there is indeed demand for an updated iPad mini.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would love to get a new mini. The only thing that put me off is the rumors that the mini 5 will be out after the first of the year.

24. pete480 macrumors regular

pete480

My mini 4 is running great, especially with iOS12. I’ll definitely upgrade to a mini with smaller bezels and better specs though.

25. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Love my Mini 4....... But the battery is slowest dying......... Im down to 65% of its original capacity.....typical apple battery hit 20% and it shut down on its own. Looking into replacing the battery myself....