Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
Does anyone know if there is a back protective shell for the new iPad mini 5 that is smart cover compatible? There are a lot out there for the mini 4, but I couldn't find any for the mini 5. Maybe it's just my Google-fu that isn't up to snuff, but no luck so far. Thanks!

Edit: I know there are cases that have a sort of smart cover built-in, but there are times I like to be able to remove the smart cover....

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Does anyone know if there is a back protective shell for the new iPad mini 5 that is smart cover compatible? There are a lot out there for the mini 4, but I couldn't find any for the mini 5. Maybe it's just my Google-fu that isn't up to snuff, but no luck so far. Thanks!

Edit: I know there are cases that have a sort of smart cover built-in, but there are times I like to be able to remove the smart cover....

Other than cutting up one of the available cases to make your own shell-only case, there are none yet. Ive been looking myself.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I had to use my iPad mini 4 one. Speaker holes are smaller than the mini 5 speaker holes, the camera isn't perfectly aligned and the mics are covered but otherwise it's great.

Why did apple give up on these things?
[doublepost=1554742564][/doublepost]
Ah, okay. Thanks! May have to go for a cheap Moko all in one...
I can't stand the weird texture of the Smart Cover part of these cases..

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Actually, its kind of ridiculous. Amazon has about 30 full case options and about 7 or 8 shell only that aren't compatible with the smart cover. But zero that are shells that work with the smart cover. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenhalls

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Cut up an available case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.