Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipqtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
Hello all,

It is a tragedy how you can end up getting 0$ value for an iPad that costed you over 1000$. Especially those who got iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd gen with touch unresponsiveness issues.

In this thread, I would like to record my experience with my new iPad Mini 5 and feedback to keep it as a reference for those who are planning to get one. I have recently sold my iPad Pro 2nd gen 12.9" for half of its price because of the never-ending touch issues. I have consulted MacRumors folks about the 3rd gen iPad Pro 11" and it seems that even the 3rd gen is infected.

It is worth to mention that @kazmac reported here that his iPad mini 5 got some touch issues.

I got the iPad mini 5 two days ago (June 26th, 2019) and things are good until this moment, I am not facing any issues of unresponsiveness or any touch related bugs. I will keep posting here.

Always remember that your mileage might vary; however, we are doing our best to document our experience.

Last edited:

ipqtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
I am still with the out-of-the-box firmware— iOS 12.2. Although 12.3.1 is available, but I have no plans to update it. I am just scared that mine will get infected with the nasty touch unresponsiveness issues. I do not want to waste my time chasing Apple people to give me a replacement, especially that I we do not have Apple Store in my country.
[doublepost=1561731390][/doublepost]@kazmac reported here that his iPad mini 5 got some unresponsiveness issues due to heat. Since I got mine I have been using it for gaming (PUBG) with the maximum configuration and never got any heat issues or unresponsiveness — until now.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I got the Mini 5 on April 3rd and no touch issues. Though it did stutter (if that’s the word) between home screen pages last night.

I didn’t update straight away but I’ve probably been using 12.3.1 for about 3 weeks now.

ipqtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
One more thing to add— charging the iPad mini 5 while gaming DOES NOT cause any responsiveness issues. Again — until now.
[doublepost=1561731616][/doublepost]
I got the Mini 5 on April 3rd and no touch issues. Though it did stutter (if that’s the word) between home screen pages last night.
Thank you @*~Kim~* for sharing this with us! That's much appreciated!

Let's keep an eye on this. Sometime such behavior happens if the iPad (or even the iPhone) was idle for sometime or there are some notification on the way or a call to be received in a moment; such things happen but it should not be always the case.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
One more thing to add— charging the iPad mini 5 while gaming does not cause any responsiveness issues. Again — until now.
[doublepost=1561731616][/doublepost]
Thank you @*~Kim~* for sharing this with us! That's much appreciated!

Let's keep an eye on this. Sometime such behavior happens if the iPad (or even the iPhone) was idle for sometime or there are some notification on the way or a call to be received in a moment; such things happen but it should not be always the case.
Ugh, sorry you are both also dealing with this on the Mini 5. I returned mine as soon as that irresponsiveness started.

I am gutted this has spread to just about every iPad.

ipqtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
Ugh, sorry you are both also dealing with this on the Mini 5. I returned mine as soon as that irresponsiveness started.

I am gutted this has spread to just about every iPad.

Hello @kazmac,

Actually I did not report any issues with my mini 5. I am just documenting my experience with the iPad mini 5 and until the moment all seems to be fine. @*~Kim~* did not report a solid issue and only some stuttering appeared yesterday; I am wishing things won't develop similar to your mini 5.

Can you @kazmac tell us more about your mini 5? was similar to what people suffer with the iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen were the unresponsivnness was happening almost the entire day?

Thank you,

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
I returned my cellular mini5 because its having a touch issue when gaming...

I took another wifi model today... This one is better....

ipqtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
I returned my cellular mini5 because its having a touch issue when gaming...

I took another wifi model today... This one is better....

Thank you @mackie8 for sharing your experience!

That's so horrible! I am glad that you got a new different model. hope things will be fine.

Can you kindly advise of when the issues started (after how many days from the first use the issues started)? Was it performing normally while gaming at the first X days? Or all the issues started once you started gaming?

Thank you,

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
The stuttering was only for a few moments, it’s a one time issue at this point. I have had the iPad for nearly 3 months so all that I can do is to take it in should the issue reappear and persist. I will of course post back here if I have any further problems.

Looking on the forums though, it really does seem as though Apple’s quality isn’t what it used to be. If anyone is concerned about their unit and within the returns period, then taking it back no questions asked may be for the best.

Reactions: kazmac

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I've had the iPad mini5 since launch - 64GB with LTE and currently on iOS 12.3.1. It has had no issues including stuttering or unresponsiveness. My only complaint is that the font size on some websites is a little too small for my old eyes.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
About 24 hours after my Mini 5 got very hot downloading movies from iTunes (on Day 1 release date), I had touch irresponsiveness on it and touch & pencil irresponsiveness in Procreate. I returned the Mini within 72 hours of purchase.

As I’ve said numerous times, Excessive heat causes my touch and pencil issues in every single iPad I have purchased since 2017 (6 different models).

I will try to exchange my 2018 iPaf, but at this point I either need to start drawing traditionally, or incorporate a Wacom tablet into my usage.

Apple needs to redesign their iPads and work on the software too.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have had many ipads and still have 6 (3 pros, 3 minis, different generations), no issue so far, but I don't tend to do things that make them hot. I have had touch issues on my iphone SE instead... but I don't use it as my main phone....

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Thank you @mackie8 for sharing your experience!

That's so horrible! I am glad that you got a new different model. hope things will be fine.

Can you kindly advise of when the issues started (after how many days from the first use the issues started)? Was it performing normally while gaming at the first X days? Or all the issues started once you started gaming?

Thank you,
Just right after i setup i notice the touch issue ..
Even the 5finger pinch to close app is erratic....
So next day decided to return

noboranka

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2019
I got my Mini 5 on launch. I haven’t personally had any touch issues, overheating, or screen abnormalities that I’ve noticed, and I use mine daily.

Although, to be honest, I haven’t had any of the aforementioned issues on any iOS device I’ve owned.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Dun dun dun... :D

Yeah he should say "up to now" if there still aren't any problems
[doublepost=1561823702][/doublepost]
I got my Mini 5 on launch. I haven’t personally had any touch issues, overheating, or screen abnormalities that I’ve noticed, and I use mine daily.

Although, to be honest, I haven’t had any of the aforementioned issues on any iOS device I’ve owned.

Are you aware of any genetic disposition for highly conductive digits? Is there a family history of being struck by lightning?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Same for me...

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I bought my iPad Mini 5 on launch (64 GB LTE) - no issues at all.

Place I work for also bought 20 iPad Mini 5s - (64 GB WiFi) - no issues.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
So I've had my Mini for a couple days now. I have an iPad Pro 10.5" that serves as my main computing devices (will replace it with 11" eventually) and an iMac.

The mini was really a replacement for the iPod touch 7th generation. I like having a device just for music and I found the iPod lackluster. I plan to use this mini for local music, occasional reading, and occasional iOS gaming. I'll upgrade to iOS 13 and then leave it there so it stays speedy.

My impressions as a first time mini owner: it's almost absurdly small and light. Not as discreet as the iPod touch, but the difference isn't as big as I thought. The screen is fine for my select use cases once I increased the text size, but man I don't see how people using the iPad mini as there main device - the screen is uncomfortably small to me.

Overall I'm happy and may try seeing if games are too small.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I purchased my 64 go WiFi Mini 5 on launch. No issues with touch or stuttering. It’s been a great little device. I use it alternately with my 10.5 Pro. The fonts could be larger in Safari but I manage with no problems. I also have not had any heat issues although I live in a hot humid climate. I still love my Mini and I am thankful they updated them.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I’m now getting intermittent issues with the space bar only registering the touch on one side. At this point I imagine it won’t do it on demand at the Apple Store. With any luck I’ll get to 80% battery before AppleCare+ is up, as it doesn’t seem so impressive of late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.