Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Just perused Amazon. Still no iPad 5 Mini back shells, compatible with Apple's Smart Cover. Just a bunch of non-compatible cover shells and full cases. I like using the shell + Smart Cover because then you can remove the cover when not needed to save even more weight.

I don't mind that Apple didn't change the core design of the Mini (big bezels, etc). But then they changed it "just enough" to make a lot of cases useless or at best ill fitting. Very annoying.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Just perused Amazon. Still no iPad 5 Mini back shells, compatible with Apple's Smart Cover. Just a bunch of non-compatible cover shells and full cases. I like using the shell + Smart Cover because then you can remove the cover when not needed to save even more weight.

I don't mind that Apple didn't change the core design of the Mini (big bezels, etc). But then they changed it "just enough" to make a lot of cases useless or at best ill fitting. Very annoying.

You can get a back shell with the front cover, then use a ruler and craft knife to cut the front cover off so that you can use the SC. That’s what I ended up doing on my iPP 10.5.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

It is annoying.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017

Or if you like the Applie silicone back cover, you can find those on eBay. There’s no microphone opening in the right spot and the camera opening doesn’t match the camera position but doesn’t affect the camera’s function.

Rafterman

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Or if you like the Applie silicone back cover, you can find those on eBay. There’s no microphone opening in the right spot and the camera opening doesn’t match the camera position but doesn’t affect the camera’s function.

I have the Apple back. But, as I said, it's ill fitting. Yes, the mic ports and the camera - but also the volume buttons are misaligned too. Unacceptable to me.
[doublepost=1554140707][/doublepost]
You can get a back shell with the front cover, then use a ruler and craft knife to cut the front cover off so that you can use the SC. That’s what I ended up doing on my iPP 10.5.

Yes, I thought about the Xacto knife route. But for now I just bought one of the cheap front and back cover cases and will have to wait and see what else comes out.

I hate that Apple treats the Mini like an afterthought.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009

Wow, that’s awesome....never thought of that!

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London

Actually the camera is slightly affected if you put a mini 5 into an Apple Mini 4 Silicone Case. I have one, I took a picture today and the very top left of the picture is a fraction darker. It looks like the misaligned camera hole blocks out light coming from the top right. Hubby is going to try and drill out a bit more of a hole for me.

The volume buttons don’t bother me as they work fine and I don’t care about the mic. I just really like the apple silicone case so hope to be able to use one permanently with my mini 5.
[doublepost=1554151870][/doublepost]
Wow, that’s awesome....never thought of that!

If you do buy a case for the mini 5 and plan to cut off the front make sure you get a silicone back as it appears in most cases you’ll need to cut a bit of the frame off as well, either side of the front cover fold. You can’t do that with a plastic hard back.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Actually the camera is slightly affected if you put a mini 5 into an Apple Mini 4 Silicone Case. I have one, I took a picture today and the very top left of the picture is a fraction darker. It looks like the misaligned camera hole blocks out light coming from the top right. Hubby is going to try and drill out a bit more of a hole for me.

The volume buttons don’t bother me as they work fine and I don’t care about the mic. I just really like the apple silicone case so hope to be able to use one permanently with my mini 5.
[doublepost=1554151870][/doublepost]

If you do buy a case for the mini 5 and plan to cut off the front make sure you get a silicone back as it appears in most cases you’ll need to cut a bit of the frame off as well, either side of the front cover fold. You can’t do that with a plastic hard back.

If you have a Dremel, you can probably gently grind a little off the plastic case to accommodate the Smart Cover. Not everyone has a Dremel, though.

I have a silicone back cover that has some breaks and dings in it so I’ll use that to experiment on for reshaping the camera hole before the cover I ordered comes in. If I’m not happy with that, I have my eye on a front/back cover on Amazon that comes in pine green, seems to be soft/flexible, and has gotten a couple of positive mentions on the accessories forum.

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK

That’s a good idea. I just got a third party all in one front and back case for my new 5 and while it fits well it just doesn’t feel anywhere near as good as the Apple version for my 4.

Please please please Apple make a rear cover for the new 5.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
That’s a good idea. I just got a third party all in one front and back case for my new 5 and while it fits well it just doesn’t feel anywhere near as good as the Apple version for my 4.

Please please please Apple make a rear cover for the new 5.

I have an Apple silicone Mini 4 back cover on my Mini 5. The camera cutout isn’t properly aligned but I took a photo and other than a little darkness in the upper right corner (which could be because of the lighting, not the camera), I don’t see anything unusual about the picture. I’m not sure whether I’ll try to use a Dremel to reshape the camera cutout a bit or leave well enough alone.

I don’t use the mic so I don’t car about the mic cutout(s) being wrong.

eBay has the Apple silicone Mini back covers.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
I have an Apple silicone Mini 4 back cover on my Mini 5. The camera cutout isn’t properly aligned but I took a photo and other than a little darkness in the upper right corner (which could be because of the lighting, not the camera), I don’t see anything unusual about the picture. I’m not sure whether I’ll try to use a Dremel to reshape the camera cutout a bit or leave well enough alone.

I don’t use the mic so I don’t car about the mic cutout(s) being wrong.

eBay has the Apple silicone Mini back covers.

Hubby is going to try and adapt my Apple Silicone Mini 4 back cover too.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
For a device this thin and light I will just keep it naked. The extra cost quickly adds up to a large percentage of the original price of the device.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
For a device this thin and light I will just keep it naked. The extra cost quickly adds up to a large percentage of the original price of the device.

Must be some fancy cases you are considering if they add up to a large percentage of the price of a Mini. Mine gets hauled to our camp. It may get put in an Otterbox case and hauled around in a UTV in the woods when I run cameras or on the mini excavator when I’m running that. Naked is not an option for my electronic devices. I’m a klutz and have nothing but wood and tile floors in my house.

Reactions: haruhiko

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I've ordered a iPad Mini 5 with a smart cover. I would really like to get something that covers the back, but also allows the use of a smart cover. I want something on the back to protect against scratches from just placing the device down on a table, or perhaps a minor fall. I like the smart cover because a lot of the time I'll be using the mini with a lightweight back cover on only (if I can find one), and the smart cover is easily removable.
For me the smart cover serves as a screen protector when packing the mini around and will also see some use as a stand for watching videos, for example.
I really hope a lightweight back-only cover that allows the use of the smart cover becomes available.
The upcoming Otterbox offering looks interesting but it's more money than I'd really like to spend.

Reactions: MCMaster

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I've ordered a iPad Mini 5 with a smart cover. I would really like to get something that covers the back, but also allows the use of a smart cover. I want something on the back to protect against scratches from just placing the device down on a table, or perhaps a minor fall. I like the smart cover because a lot of the time I'll be using the mini with a lightweight back cover on only (if I can find one), and the smart cover is easily removable.
For me the smart cover serves as a screen protector when packing the mini around and will also see some use as a stand for watching videos, for example.
I really hope a lightweight back-only cover that allows the use of the smart cover becomes available.
The upcoming Otterbox offering looks interesting but it's more money than I'd really like to spend.

I have gotten rubberized shell with attached front cover for my iPP 11 and use a craft knife to cit the front cover off so that the Apple Smart Keyboard fits. There are already similar cases on Amazon for not a lot of money that you might be able to do the same thing with if you can’t find what you are looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.