iPad mini iPad mini 5 support fast charge?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by magbarn, Apr 4, 2019.

1. magbarn macrumors 68000

Has anyone tested to see if the mini 5 supports usb c to lightning fast charging?

2. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

I remember seeing one YouTuber test it out…

3. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I have a few 29w and usb c to lightning and will time it next time it’s pretty low to give some stats

4. magbarn thread starter macrumors 68000

Alright with my trusty kill-a-watt (yes I know it's not as accurate as USB amp meter), I did some experimentation with my Mini 5. With the stock 12 watt with USB A-Lightning it draws 15 watt max which I assume is due to power loss between 15-12 watt. Using my iPP 12.9 18 watt charger with Apple USB C-Lightning cable draws 20 watts - same as my iPP 12.9. So yes, CONFIRMED the Mini 5 does fast charge at 18 watts (at least faster than 12 watt max with USB A-Lightning can muster). I then tried it with my rMB 29 watt adapter and it's drawing about 23 watts so about 21 watts max. I haven't done time testing to see how much it's shaving off vs the standard adapter.

5. ChineseBots macrumors newbie

6. Blue Hawk macrumors 6502

I’ve charged my Air 3 overnight with the 30W charger and it took 2 hours from 24% to 100. Is that fast too?

7. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I don’t have stats but it does fast charge

Awesome !

Small capacity battery and fast charge. Another perk of the mini 5

This thing is so great

8. magbarn thread starter macrumors 68000

Still wish it was usb C. But since I’m stuck with lightning on my 8+ anyway it’s not much of an inconvenience when traveling
    I don’t have hard numbers but it definitely charges much faster than Air 2 and mini 2!

9. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Thanks for all the reports! Very nice. All my USB-C PD chargers I have invested in the past 2 years can fast charge my mini 5 now. Cool. I wouldn't even buy one without USB-PD anymore now. Including power banks.

10. Wokis macrumors regular

I’ve never experienced fast charging, don’t own one. Am I missing out? How fast from 10 to 80% does the mini 5 charge with it? Good for say an emergency charge at the airport where you might have just 5 min at an outlet?

11. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

The fast charge depends on your battery level. The lower your battery level, the faster the charging.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-x-fast-charging-speeds-compared/
    Here is a quick comparison. It's faster but not that faster than the 12W iPad charger. Not sure about those with even higher wattage, but I doubt if the iPad mini would accept anything higher than 30W?

12. ziyuel macrumors newbie

yes!
    Almost all devices with USB-c Cable have fast charging!