Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
My wife has an iPad mini 3 that she uses primarily for mail and web browsing. I was thinking about upgrading to a 5 for her in the hopes that she would see some significant speed improvements, but given her use I'm not sure if it is worth it. So 2 questions: (1) should the mini 5 be a good bit snappier than the 3 for web browsing? and (2) Assuming we go ahead with the upgrade, is there any reason to wait for a possible replacement (I assume not as it hasn't been out that long) or maybe until later in the fall for possible sales?

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
There would be possible sales in the fall, yes. The processor is significantly faster, and it has triple the RAM, so it should feel like a big improvement, even for small tasks. I wouldn’t wait around for a refresh, since there’s no way to know when another Mini will see the light of day. The Mini 5 is a solid upgrade and it’s quite future-proofed, so if you can get it for a price you feel is right, I say go for it.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I replaced my mini 2 (which is the same as the mini 3 sans Touch ID) with the mini 5. The performance and experience is night and day. The mini 2 was at its last leg on iOS 12, gasping for air due to its 1GB if RAM. The mini 5 is a huge jump. Everything is smoother and faster. Browsing is snappier and less likely to crash Safari. I highly recommend the upgrade.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
My wife has an iPad mini 3 that she uses primarily for mail and web browsing. I was thinking about upgrading to a 5 for her in the hopes that she would see some significant speed improvements, but given her use I'm not sure if it is worth it. So 2 questions: (1) should the mini 5 be a good bit snappier than the 3 for web browsing? and (2) Assuming we go ahead with the upgrade, is there any reason to wait for a possible replacement (I assume not as it hasn't been out that long) or maybe until later in the fall for possible sales?

This is a hard question to answer. The release cycle of the iPads seems a little bit erratic to me. Some iPads are maybe just being released to accommodate the supply chain.

The iPad mini was not updated in a while. Hard to say how it will be.

But the iPad mini 5 is definitely faster than the mini 3. If you are having issues with the mini 3, you may try the 5.

Reactions: jazzer15

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I upgraded my ipad mini 2 to the mini 5 and noticed a HUGE difference. Much snappier. I would assume your wife would experience a similar difference. It really is a great ipad. Especially if your wife prefers the smaller form factor. Plus it can use the apple pencil. It took Apple FOUR years to upgrade the ipad mini 4 in 2015 to the ipad mini 5 in 2019...so i wouldn’t wait for the next update. It may never come. Apple seems to neglect the ipad mini. I was hoping that apple would release an ipad mini pro someday, but i doubt that will ever happen. So to answer your question, i think now is a great time to buy the ipad mini5 for your wife. Her mini 3 is already 5 years old. She will definitely appreciate the speed difference.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
As much as I’d love for one to exist, I don’t believe a Mini Pro will ever be released. So far, all iPad Pros have included a smart connector for an Apple Smart Keyboard. I don’t think a Mini would be large enough for a proper keyboard, so it probably wouldn’t be considered appropriate in a Pro context. Then again, I could see them introducing more Pro features, like quad speakers, Pro Motion and/or Apple Pencil 2 support. So we have that to potentially look forward to hopefully.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
A7 to A12 is a big jump! Go for it!

emokidsloveme

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2015
I had a mini 3 64gb, I got for $149 three years ago during a Walmart clearance. I traded it in at Best Buy last week for $90 to help get an iPad Pro. I barely used that mini. I’ve already used the pro more than I ever used the mini. I can’t say I didn’t love her though, she held her value like a champ.

Reactions: Macintoshrumors
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.