Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

depi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Hi guys,

I finally got my iPad Mini 6, not even 1 month ago and a serious issue just arise.

When I'm charging it's super hot and it charges very slow, like I had it connected for hours and I got only 12% battery (btw I used my macbook pro cable/adapter to charge it).

There is the "ipad needs to cool down" temperature warning and once I unplug it and it cools down the battery drains very fast by itself.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I tried the original adapter and cable now, but it still overheats and shows me the warning.

I think it started happening after the last 15.3.1 update.

Thanks

Attachments

• 90556487e591e18e7e4fe9ff0ac27dfa7a9ec35f0ac062e12e1858b6cd020a46.jpg
    90556487e591e18e7e4fe9ff0ac27dfa7a9ec35f0ac062e12e1858b6cd020a46.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,538

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
What’s the ambient temperature where you are charging? If the ambient temperature is too high then that might be slowing down the charge and causing the error. But under normal temperatures, like 21° C (70° F) it would indicate a hardware problem.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I would need to verify my current iPad mini 6 software (which I will update this post when I do). I have not had this issue yet, I use mine for gaming quite a bit too and even have played games while charging and the charger I use is my m1 mbp one. You may need to exchange this one for a new one as I haven't heard of overheating problems with the mini 6.

depi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
OK I just got in touch with support via the Apple Support app. They run a remote diadnostic on my device and they say there is a "safety concern", they recommended me to not use the iPad and I have to wait for another team to look into it and let me know for the next steps.

Wow.

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
OK I just got in touch with support via the Apple Support app. They run a remote diadnostic on my device and they say there is a "safety concern", they recommended me to not use the iPad and I have to wait for another team to look into it and let me know for the next steps.

Wow.

Tell them to do that on their own time and just replace the iPad.

depi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Tell them to do that on their own time and just replace the iPad.
Call is tomorrow, well I hope they will do it, it's not even month old + I also paid for Apple Care.

Reactions: BF1M

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Call is tomorrow, well I hope they will do it, it's not even month old + I also paid for Apple Care.
They'll make it right. Depending on the model though there is a backorder. Near me, I see several 64 GB iPad minis with both WiFi or WiFi and cellular. No 256 GB though.

depi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
They'll make it right. Depending on the model though there is a backorder. Near me, I see several 64 GB iPad minis with both WiFi or WiFi and cellular. No 256 GB though.
Yeah this could be problem, I was waiting 1 month for it. Its full spec cellular with 256gb

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
Purple seems to be the hardest to get everywhere(I can’t tell the color from your photo).

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
You should be more than covered--they'll take care of it. I feel your pain though--I have the same model, fully loaded just like you, and I would hate giving it up now. I love it to death.

Reactions: depi

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
You should be more than covered--they'll take care of it. I feel your pain though--I have the same model, fully loaded just like you, and I would hate giving it up now. I love it to death.
Same. I carry the iPad mini with me everywhere like a phone (I also carry my iPhone). At this point, I could switch to an iPhone mini given how often I use the iPad mini instead of my iPhone 12 Pro.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Hi guys,

I finally got my iPad Mini 6, not even 1 month ago and a serious issue just arise.

When I'm charging it's super hot and it charges very slow, like I had it connected for hours and I got only 12% battery (btw I used my macbook pro cable/adapter to charge it).

There is the "ipad needs to cool down" temperature warning and once I unplug it and it cools down the battery drains very fast by itself.

I tried the original adapter and cable now, but it still overheats and shows me the warning.

Thanks
Where do you live? I get this when I leave the iPhone or the iPad inside the car sitting in the sun. If the ambient temperature is not superior to 30ºC, it would seem you have a hardware problem.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I live in Florida and he gets really hot here but I’ve never had this even begin to overheat or slow down because of heat I hope they take it get it taken care of for you

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Just got my mini 6 yesterday and it got pretty hot charging while setting up iPad OS. It didn't give a warning but it got a lot hotter than my iPad Pro 11 ever did - not to the point of me worrying (or seeing any slowdown) but definitely going: "Wow this little thing can get warm" - bottom right corner when holding in portrait mode.

Last edited:

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I have the mini 6 and my first one just wouldn’t charge for the first 30 minutes or so on charge, then eventually would start charging, so I returned it and had to order a new one, I think there might be an issue with some of these devices batteries, probably getting a bit rushed out the factory due to the shortages and delays.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi guys,

Thanks

This ’heating’ while charging or visiting macrumors site seems to be common with iOS/iPadOS devices since iPhone 12 series to current. Not sure if there is a specific thing that is causing this. That said my iPad Pro M1 doesn’t overheat but my 12 mini every time I visit macrumors boom heat-appliance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.