Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I found my wayward Apple Pencil, and it was, obviously dead, so I dropped it on my Mini, and plugged it in. But the next day, the Pencil was still dead (0%). I had to put it on the iPad Pro in desperation to see if it would charge, and within a couple of hours, it was fully charged.

Anyone else had that happen? I was surprised that the Mini, apparently, won't charge a dead Pencil. At least that's what I experienced. Weird. It does recharge the Pencil in the case with it. I was surprised...

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Maybe the pencil is at the end of its lifespan? I have one pencil that was dead and the mini was able to charge it after a while, but my 2nd pencil, around the same age would not charge on the mini or the 11 IPP.

• Wow
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Maybe the pencil is at the end of its lifespan? I have one pencil that was dead and the mini was able to charge it after a while, but my 2nd pencil, around the same age would not charge on the mini or the 11 IPP.

It's not even a year old. I had thought that, but if it's already dead that doesn't show the usefulness of the things. If they don't last a year, or won't charge if dead, really dead, they are more of a joke, less of a 'must have', and more of a joke.

I am glad I could get it charged. I wonder if it required a 'jump start' charge that the Mini can't deliver. *shrug* I've put it in active rotation and will keep an eye on it. I'm amazed at how usable the thing is. I was gifted a V1 Pencil too. It charges fine. steve was right. An inert plastic stick stylus is a poor tool for interaction.

Reactions: beach bum
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.