Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
I'd appreciate some opinions from you folks. I currently have a 16GB iPad 3 which gets fairly consistent use. It's mainly used for browsing, facebook, email and reading(iBooks and some magazines. I'll occasionally play the odd game, watch some movies and show people my photo stream.
In the next few months, I'll be putting my head down to start studying again (Preparing for Emergency Medicine fellowship) and have previously used iPads for my textbooks. With my current iPad (I previously had a 64GB Gen 1), space has been an ongoing issue. I usually check usage on a monthly basis and delete as required. This is with very little in the way of music, photos loaded.

My partners MacBook recently died a horrible death so she's been using my iPad quite a lot. It seems to fit her needs which are browsing, Facebook and emailing. For the bigger stuff she has an account on the 21 " iMac and I also have an 11" MBA. Admittedly since the iPad 3 arrived, the MBA doesn't see much use unless A: partner is using the iPad or B: I have a presentation to write.

I've recently considered getting a second iPad and giving the 3 to my partner. I'm well aware of the impending 5 /mini 2.0 later this year but my sights are currently set on a refurb model as the prices are quite appealing. My opinion of the 3 is that the screen is amazing but it's not a very comfortable iPad to hold. This applies regardless of whether I'm on the couch or in bed. It's heavy. I've been trying out the demo minis in local stores and find the weight very appealing. It's incredibly comfortable to hold and seems pretty responsive in my limited testing. I've compared the screen with an iPad 4 and there's no denying that the difference between retina/non-retina is noticeable. I didn't particularly mind it in the shop but I can't comment on how I would find reading on a mini for prolonged periods.

My dilemma is this. Regardless of how much I try to convince myself to stick to a full size, I keep coming back to the mini. The refurb store in NZ has two mini options currently: iPad mini 16GB or 64GB. The 64GB runs for 649$ (a 16GB iPad 4 is 619$)/32GB iPad 4 749$). All I want from the "new" iPad is portability, good battery life, comfort in the hand, a decent useable lifespan(~2 yrs) and it has to be comfortable to read on for long periods.

From my reading it seems to win on the form factor requirement. With regard to lifespan, I know it has less RAM than my iPad 3 but if it can run ios7 comfortably I'd be happy. I'd appreciate comments on how people find its responsiveness and how useful it is for long periods of reading.

Many thanks

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
It seems to me that you best bet is to get the refurbed 16GB mini now and then see what the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2 bring whenever they are released.

The reason I say this is that you sound to me to be a power user in terms of your schoolwork and I think you may find that the iPad 5 works better for you as a balance between power and portability.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
It seems to me that you best bet is to get the refurbed 16GB mini now and then see what the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2 bring whenever they are released.

The reason I say this is that you sound to me to be a power user in terms of your schoolwork and I think you may find that the iPad 5 works better for you as a balance between power and portability.

I'm not sure about buying something with a view to selling it in a few months time. Traditionally, I've tended to hand down my tech to family. 16GB wouldn't be enough that's for sure and I don't want the hassle of juggling space again.

I ended up playing with a mini for about half an hour tonight and found it very comfortable to hold. It's amazingly light. I did a fair bit of reading in the iBooks app and while the text wasn't sharp as I'm accustomed to, it wasn't disastrous either. My eyes were a little bit sore but I suspect that was glare from the overhead store lighting which was pretty intense.

I don't think I'd classify myself as a power user per sé. I thought I'd get some more feedback from mini users to be honest. The most burning question for me to current mini users is "If apple released a mini with no retina but more RAM +/- faster CPU would you see it as a must have upgrade from what you currently own."

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I have a 64gb mini as my grad present (graduating today) and I'll love it, I had an iPad before but it was stolen. I'm a film lover so idk if I'm a little bias but I wish I had the 128 gb so i can fit even more movies on here. Only 55.8gb of useable space though which sucks, I only have 11 or 13 movies on here right now lol

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
My eyes hurt a little the first day I got my mini. Now they don't anymore. It's just the adjustment period after the hi resolution I'm used to on my iPod touch and Galaxy S3.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I have had 2 Mini's since Christmas and I have loved both. The first mini had a wifi problem and I took it back, got a new one and couldn't be happier. I use it for notes in school (Bluetooth Keyboard and Note taking app). I mostly use it for watching YouTube Videos because it has Stereo sound (which most look over when comparing iPads). The screen doesn't bother me in the least, yes it isn't the Retina that pretty much every other apple product has but it keeps the weight down and the form factor to a minimum. I can play music for two hours in the car and only go through 5% of battery doing it (with wifi, location services, etc. off).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.