Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A sketchy rumor suggesting Apple will release an iPad mini with 120Hz ProMotion was revived today in the Asian media, but a well-connected display industry analyst has already reacted to the reports with skepticism.

ipad-mini-9.jpg

Responding on Twitter to a question from The Mac Observer's Jeff Butts about the rumor, Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC) analyst Ross Young said he would be "surprised" if it was accurate, given that the LCD panel that Apple uses for the iPad mini isn't compatible with ProMotion.

Apple currently uses a-Si LCD backplane technology for iPad mini 6 screens. A-si, or amorphous silicon, is the go-to display tech in the display market for its low cost and relatively simple production process.

By contrast, Apple's iPad Pro models use Oxide LCD panels, notes Young. Oxide LCD technologies, one of the most popular being "IGZO," are preferred in the premium smartphone industry for their ability to provide higher contrasts, refresh rates, and resolutions.

Suggestions that Apple could conceivably adopt ProMotion for a next-generation iPad mini began to receive attention shortly after the "jelly scrolling" phenomenon was identified. The term refers to the slanted/wobbly text effect that some users see when scrolling through text on the iPad mini 6 in portrait mode.

Since LCD screens refresh line by line, there is a tiny delay between when the lines at the top and lines at the bottom are refreshed. While this is normal behavior for LCD screens, it can appear more obvious when observed on the ‌iPad mini‌.

This isn't the first time we've heard rumors of an iPad mini with ProMotion. The claim first appeared in Korean forums in November, with claims Apple is testing a Samsung-supplied display for a future ‌iPad mini‌. The latest revival of the 120Hz iPad mini rumor appears to lead back to LeaksApplePro, who has no track record for accurate Apple leaks or rumors.

Article Link: iPad Mini 7 With 120Hz ProMotion Unlikely, Says Display Analyst

Last edited:

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
People like the idea of the iPad Pro mini, but in a typical Apple fashion, adding some Pro features and "Pro" moniker will increase the price to 599 USD.
One day, the mini will get all the bells and whistles of the iPad Pro. But not this year. 2026, perhaps?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
The just need to reorient the display controller so that it’s optimized for portrait mode - just like it always was in previous generations of the iPad Mini.
So it would have the “jelly” scroll in landscape? How is that better? It’s an overblown problem for most people anyway. A better screen is always appreciated though.

Reactions: SFjohn and wbeasley

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I'm happy with my current mini 6. Never saw the "jelly scroll" that a lot of people here doom & gloom over.

The one thing I do wish Apple would bring back-- but I know they never will-- is the dock (similar to the Lightning Dock from the iPhone 5-6 era). As they move towards (inefficient) wireless charging tech, all I can do is leave my devices flat on my desk as they charge. Except my phone and AirPods, which charge on those docks.

Reactions: coachingguy

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
It will one day when the air gets it since the mini is basically a smaller air. All the pro features eventually trickle down. I wouldn’t hold my breath for at least a few years though for that to happen.

Reactions: SFjohn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.