Resolved iPad Mini A7?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by VanillaCracker, Sep 12, 2013.

1. VanillaCracker macrumors 68020

VanillaCracker

Soo now that the iPhone 5S has come out with a 64-bit processor, what does everything think they will do with the next iPad Mini? I think it's obvious the iPad 5 would get an A7x to take advantage of 64-bit, and I'm thinking it's also guaranteed the iPad Mini will too, if not the A7x, then the A7. Which would also mark some truth in the previous rumor we saw a couple weeks ago, projecting the iPad Mini 2 and iPad 5 to have the same processor.

Thoughts? Concerns?

If you haven't caught on already, I'm in the market for a iPad Mini retina ;)

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I think the Mini will always be a generation behind to keep costs down. I expect Mini 2 to have an A6/A6X.

3. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

I am forced to sadly agree with you, the geek in me wishes it was not so but the pragmatist in me thinks you are correct.

I know i probably won't be able to even notice the difference until maybe iOS 8 or iOS 9 but I don't think i can bring myself to buy last years processor the same way i could not buy the iPad 4 today knowing the iPad 5 is right around the corner :(

4. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

It's sad, but probably true.... :(

5. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68020

VanillaCracker

It's like you guys are just ignoringggg the fact that Kuo believes we'll see an A7x retina mini this fall ;) :D

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/04/a7x-based-ipad-and-ipad-mini-expected-to-launch-in-4q-2013-lower-cost-a6-ipad-mini-to-follow-in-2014/

Na but I think that if anything it'll likely to be the other way around. They're going to want to milk the "2nd generation" iPad Mini with no retina before launching a retina mini early 2014.

Does anyone think they'd do that? It would be similar to what they did with the rMBP and cMBP. They would refresh the current non-retina mini, while launching the retina mini at the same, or a similar time (early 2014). That's what they did with the full size iPad. They still sell the non-retina iPad 2. They have that with their iPhone's now also. I think we'll see 2 iPad mini's being sold after October.

With that, my question is are they going to refresh both of them, and if so, then that likely means that the retina would have an A7.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

A6X at the most, prob A6.

----------

I can't believe you actually believe an apple analyst. There is a 50/50 chance he is wrong. :p

7. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68020

VanillaCracker

Lol I put the winky face in there for a reason. I don't believe his opinions outright, but he does have inside information about what's going on regarding manufacturing, so if you're smart enough you can make connections as to what is more likely to happen.

I don't think it'd get an A6. If they were to spec bump the existing non-retina, then maybe, and an A7 in the retina mini.

----------

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/504360/20130907/ipad-mini-2-release-date-retina-a7x.htm#.UjIvucbUmSo

This article has a lot more information then the one Macrumors put out.

In there, Kuo states that "Also, consumers will find the powerhouse A7X chip as wholly irresistible though its actual muscle could suffer from some form of under-clocking improvisations, which should deliver sufficient power to users without drying up the energy juice too quick, the analyst added."

Which makes sense, if they do go with A7X's in both the mini and iPad 5. On one side of the argument, it seems outrageous to think the Mini would have an A7x. But on the other side, what do you think makes Kuo say they would do that, unless he knew? Cus the A6x chip makes logical sense to everyone who doesn't know anything about their manufacturing plans.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

After the iPhone 5C pricing, I don't know what to think lol.

9. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68020

VanillaCracker

10. CairnsRock macrumors member

CairnsRock

A new mini with retina at $329 and a processor fast enough to run ios 7 would be world beater.

Here's my dream pricing.

iPad 5 / 4. $499 / $399.

iPad mini 2 / mini. $329 / $229. (The current mini will need a processor bump to enable ios 7 future proofing)

IMO.