All iPads iPad Mini all of a sudden won't charge on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RDAR, Feb 4, 2013.

1. RDAR macrumors 6502

I have the mid 2012 macbook pro and an iPad mini. Whenever I plugged it in, it would display the lighting bolt on the battery which means its charging but ever since today it just says "Not Charging" and the battery just shows much is left. Doesn't matter if my MacBook is plugged in or unplugged at 100% it doesn't display the lighting bolt anymore is this normal?

2. epm96 macrumors newbie

possible solution

Do you have Parallels or VMware fussion also running Windows of some sort on this PC? I found the same problem, DROVE ME NUTS. Figured out that VMWARE fussion by defaults connects the USB device to windows, not the mac which causes the new macbook to not charge the device (no idea why). I disconnected the USB device from the VM, and boom, its charging again.

3. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

In my experience, IPADS do this when charging from USB due to power constraints with usb charging.

Leave it on there for a little and then unplug it and see if it goes up. If it does, this proves my theory. USB will basically trickle charge an IPAD due to the lower current than wall charging. (unlike charging an iphone)