All iPads iPad mini and MacBook vs iPad Air and desktop Mac

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Oct 31, 2015.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I am wondering who uses either of these setups and how it works for them. Do you like the iPad mini + MacBook setup, or iPad Air and desktop Mac setup? What works for you and why?

2. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

27 5k iMac and 12 rMB for me. My iPads gather dust.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Nice! The MB is definitely like an iPad in terms of its smaller form factor; I could see lying in bed with it no problems.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

15" rMBP & iPad Air 2 - rMBP used for work and home (heavy use) it's docked at work and home. iPad Air 2 use in the family room, bed, work (meetings - don't generally need to take lots of notes, various small tasks). Love it. Steal my wife's devices sometimes.

5. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Having a bigger desktop enables you to have a smaller laptop, or something like that.

I tried going with one 15 rMBP for everything, but I missed the horsepower of the loaded iMac. So, since my real power use is covered by a desktop, I figured my laptop could be more portable than powerful.

Take my feedback with again of salt, because my rMB is still pretty new.

6. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I'm considering going for an iPad mini 4 cause I think it will work better with my MacBook Air 13 inch than my iPad Air 1.

7. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I use the macbook air and ipad mini. It's a great combination for me. The macbook air is for serious work and anything requiring desktop apps. The mini is for reading, gps, and e-mail/Internet on the go. I don't really need a desktop machine, and carry the macbook to work every day in a bag.

8. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Just to add, when the iPad first came out, I didn't see the point of it. It wasn't as portable as my phone, and if I was going to use a bag to hold the iPad, why not bring a laptop with a full keyboard and desktop os?

Then I saw the original mini and I fell in love. Small enough to fit in my suit jacket pocket and go everywhere with me, it was large enough to make a good pdf reader (something I'd never liked using my laptop for). Granted, since then the iPad Air came out and the portability gap between the two iPad sizes has diminished, but I still think the mini form factor is ideal for a carry-around device that functions as a book-reader, gps, note taker, and Internet/e-mail reader.

9. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

My MacBook Air (13) also serves as my main machine for desktop stuff. I find it the perfect size for any thing I need to do in a desktop environment. I'm still thinking the iPad mini may fit better with my MBA and iPhone 6, cause like I've mentioned before I mainly use my iPad for either reading and studying my textbooks or browsing the web and watching YouTube in bed, and the smaller mini form factor seems to make more sense in this case. If I really want a big screen I have the MBA.

10. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

I have a rmbp 15", iPhone 6s and iPad mini 4. One doesn't really affect the other and all are based on individual use cases.
    I don't like the form factor of the iPad Air, so i went with a mini, so gave my iPad2 to my mother.
    i had an iMac, but needed the portability of a laptop for work so gave it to my mother.
    I don't like an iPhone 6s + in my pocket so normal,iPhone.

11. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

That is true; oftentimes it's best to just pick which size you like best for each device and enjoy them in their different use cases.