IPad mini app suggestions....please?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by angel76ph, Oct 25, 2014.

1. angel76ph macrumors member

angel76ph

Hi. Tempted to get the iPad mini Retina (again) but need help in apps suggestions please for:

1. Music Player - I'm looking for a music player that has custom/ user-defined equaliser settings, ability to transfer/receive files from a Macbook via wifi, share options, add Playlists on-the fly, deleting songs on-the fly and some other sound-enhancing features.
    2. Video player - A good media player that plays excellent movies with various media format compatibility.
    3. Mail - An email app with simple features especially where you can swipe to left or right for various functions (like delete, archive, move or forward, etc.)
    4. Photos - A basic photo editing app with basic tools such as rotate, crop, sharpen, enhance, etc.
    5. Is there an app where i can "share" or "cast" my files (such as photos or Mp3 files) to my PS3 using my home wifi?

Please advice. Thanks.

2. addictzz macrumors 6502

4. Photoshop basic? Pixelmator?

3. angel76ph thread starter macrumors member

angel76ph

Thank you Addictz. But...

How about the others please?

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

CanOpener
    Infuse
    Mailbox
    Photogene

And I don't know the last one. :eek:

5. Strange Famous macrumors member

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I use nPlayer for video format play and Filterstorm Neue for editing and uploading direct to web server. And ia writer pro for writing/editing. Also tumleon for tumblr pix and MacHash for tech news.

7. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Heard nice things about afterlight for photo editing but never tried it actually.

For mail, mailbox is one of the few apps which supports push gmail, if that is your thing.

Video player - VLC?

8. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

2. nPlayer

4. Pixelmator
    Photogene
    Snapseed
    Leonardo
    Photoshop Express
    Laminar Pro

9. arftech macrumors regular

arftech

For music playback I recommend CanOpener.

Great music App and is an excellent iTunes replacement for playing your music via the iPhone or iPad.

http://goodhertz.com/canopener/

Peace!

10. angel76ph thread starter macrumors member

angel76ph

Really appreciate ALL your suggestions guys.

I will probablly opt for those free photo editing aps at the moment and will definitely try Adobe Photoshop Express and Snapseed.

The CanOpener app seem like my kinda music player with excellent features & support. But i noticed it supports Flac and iTunes doesn't support Flac format transfer via USB.

Some more suggestions needed:

Youtube - the iOS app is somewhat dissimilar with the Android app in terms of the dates written right there on the main Search results screen (unlike Android). Also i noticed (even though i'm connected to my home wifi network with fibre broadband and other background tasks stopped) the chosen video blurs a little bit for a little while (which seems to indicate it buffers from one resolution to another even if set to "Auto") then it plays again to an "HD" quality one. Is this normal? Any Youtube alternatives out there?

Speakers - I know you guys will kill me for this. But is there a way to further tweak/increase the actual volume of the speakers via an app? (Unlike CanoPener where i can seemingly increase the volume when listening to music but whenever i'm listening to anything really.)

Thanks guys.

11. pacorob, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

2. I use VidOn Player HD (free) and nPlayer (4,99 dollar) which are also pretty good in support a lot of video files. Infuse 3 (free but needs in-app purchase for full version: 9,99 dollar) seems the best (can also use online srt subtitles automatically) but I don't have that one.

3. Mail (Apple, new iOS8 version does support features you requested), Mailbox - which also can attach any file stored on Dropbox. The standard Apple Mail app can only handle Photos/Videos as far as attachments concerned when you use the Mail app to attach a file. There is also ofcourse Gmail by Google and also the recently (invite only) Inbox by Gmail.

5. ZappoTV HD (3,99 dollar, was free i think) has DLNA support and works ok (not great, but i haven't found another that works ok) to share photos/videos from my iPhone/iPad and especially use to search quickly (due to keyboard) and watch a YouTube video on your TV via in my case a WDTV Live Hub or in your case a PS3. However i just read the PS3 doesn't support it yet but you could try.

There is also Flipps HD (free) which also has DLNA and YouTube support.It seems you cannot share photos/videos from your iDevice. The app does work great with my WDTV for YouTube and suggested SD and HD videos mentioned in the app (some are free). According to their website and app does not yet support WDTV Live Hub or PS3 but as said it does work with my WDTV.

12. angel76ph thread starter macrumors member

angel76ph

The VidOn player seems a great video player but the last time it was updated was last August which would seem disappointing as a recent version (for iOS 8) would be nice. I have tried Mailbox which seem to suit and answer the features i need but it keeps crashing; I will however keep an eye out. Zappo TV seems also a nice media sharing app but if they can get the PS3/PS4 support running then it will be a killer iOS app.

Really appreciate all the suggestions guys. As always i can go to the website of these companies for any suggestions but again we don't know when will they incorporate my improvement enhancements suggestions. (As i understand Apple is ultra strict and expensive when it comes to API's and tools to updating apps)

I'd like to also ask for any good comics viewer for my iPad mini? I am looking for an app where i can download/transfer files via wifi.

13. ernieH macrumors newbie

I've always used the Bongiovi app for music playback (though I don't believe it will do everything on your list of wants in a music app), but CanOpener looks good and will handle FLAC files.....and is yet another app I was unaware of. Thanks folks!

14. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

If you don't mind jail breaking your iPad, there is a tweak called "volume amplifier" that does this. I've been thinking of trying it myself. My one complaint about my otherwise nearly perfect iPad mini retina is the speakers are awfully soft.

15. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Doing more research, it appears volume amplifier isn't designed for iPads. I may just have to live with that limitation.

16. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

The app works great with iOS8(.1) so I don't see the problem? it has iOS7/8 looks and feel.

I think it could work with PS3 as it does with WDTV Live Hub. I would also try out Flipps HD which officially doesn't support WDTV Live Hub so could also have PS3 support maybe. Just try.
    They also have a photo/video app called 'iMediaShare Personal Stream' (Free) which seems to work with PS3 by looking at the App Store reviews.

17. Apple99 macrumors newbie

Some reviews for video players:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1652736

VLC has been pulled though. For the other two, I have both on my iPad but I prefer nPlayer for its features, particularly streaming since AVPlayer doesn't have that feature.