iPad Mini as iPhone 4 replacement?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by yurkennis, Nov 4, 2014.

1. yurkennis, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

yurkennis macrumors newbie

Anyone switched from iPhone 4x/5x to iPad Mini as a primary on-the-go device?

1. Please share your experience on:
    • what scenarios/apps proved better at Mini / in which contexts?
    • which are tolerable at Mini, though better performed at iPhone?
    • which are completely impossible at Mini and should be done at iPhone?

My situation is: have iPhone 4 and iPad 2 (non-Retina). Choosing one new device to buy (iPhone 6 vs iPad Mini 3). Currently using iPhone on the go (underground transit; walk; driving nav) plus a featurephone for voice calls. Using iPad 2 only indoors as it's too large to frequently put in/out while on-the-go. For at-my-desk use, happy with Macbook Air (except the system UI font sizes).

Spend most time on iPhone with these apps, most important first: OmniFocus, Whatsapp, (G)Mail, Calendar, Pocket, social networks, (Google)Maps, one-time passwords (SMS and standalone generators).
    --------------------------
    2. iPhone fonts are way too small, even with maximum font size settings (used a 4.3" smartphone years before). Chances to solve the font size problem with switch to Mini, especially on 3rd-party apps?

2. moomanjohnny macrumors regular

moomanjohnny

All of those things suggest you should get an iPad mini, but if its phone calls you need, I would recommend getting and iPhone 6 (or 6 Plus).

I've had an iPhone 6 since September 2014 and I absolutely love it, it does everything I need it to do, phone calls, texting, social media, Google Maps, WhatsApp, Gmail, Calendar, school work, etc. It also does that while still being able to fit in your pocket.

The iPhone 6 is also 4.7" so it would be a little bit bigger than your old 4.3" phone was. But if your budget allows, I would recommend getting an iPhone 6 Plus, or a cellular iPad Mini (because you need wifi to use Google Maps in a car) and maybe a cheap phone.

I would recommend just getting an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus though because it does everything all in one without the need of separate devices, and it's pretty big (iPhone 6 is 4.7" and 6 Plus is 5.5") so the font size shouldn't be a problem if you turn the settings up.

Overall, it's just up to your budget, and how many devices you want to carry around.