iPad mini iPad mini back conducting electricity when charging?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ricartedor, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ricartedor macrumors member

Hello guys, I'm interested in your input here.. I was lying in bed watching a tv show on my iPad mini while it was plugged in charging and I noticed that when I rubbed the back (along the edge opposite the attached Smart Cover) with one finger, it felt like the metal was vibrating as I rubbed it. if I then touched somewhere else on the back while rubbing, the vibrating seemed to stop, and likewise if I unplugged the lightning cable the vibrating stopped and it felt like regular aluminium again... I would be interested to see if anyone else has experienced or has any thoughts on this?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

That happens with pretty much any metal type devices. If your hands have developed moisture then you will feel that type of vibration. It happens to me as well on other devices with metal shells like my all aluminum desktop case.

3. ricartedor thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay, thanks for that, I was concerned perhaps it wasn't safe but if its normal then that's fine! I had never noticed it on the older iPads is all.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

I have actually felt a small shock when I touched my aluminum case. When you are charging your iPad you are basically grounding yourself through the back case of your Mini while it"s plugged in. There"s a small voltage difference between the wall charger and the back case of your iPad.

5. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I've noticed the same sensation with my full-size iPad and my MacBook, but don't think it's anything to worry about. It might be static electricity, but I seriously doubt it's electrical current from the device itself.

6. JLicklider macrumors newbie

I have felt the same thing before too on my iPad 1 and MBP when I was in Europe. I had an adapter plug for the charger to work. Something about the 50/60 Hz and 120/220 voltage difference I think.