iPad mini iPad mini basically useless after iOS 8 download

Discussion in 'iPad' started by badger91, Oct 19, 2014.

1. badger91 macrumors regular

Hey everyone I have a first gen iPad mini and since I upgraded to iOS 8 it has been super slow and apps crash all the time. I tried to go back to iOS 7 and iTunes keeps getting errors saying my device isn't eligible for the requested build. I read somewhere that Apple was going to quit supporting iOS 7 after a certain date. Is there any way to go back or change my settings to optimize performance? I rarely use my iPad but I'm needing to rely on it for about a week until my new iPhone comes in as I'm rocking a flip phone haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

iOS 8 is a performance killer of the original mini, hence why I am getting an air 2. Not a lot you can do really. It's to late to go back to iOS 7 which I wish I had done. It's certainly usable but noticeably slower than with 7. But it's three year old hardware it's running on so that is to be expected I guess.

You shouldn't be getting crashes though. If all else fails a restore usually does wonders for reliability issues.

3. badger91 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply! I actually did a restore when I first installed the software. I put it in recovery mode then restored it.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Did you restore from backup or setup as new? Sometimes starting over with a completely clean slate and loading only what's absolutely necessary can perk up an old device. It's a serious pain in the ***, but nowadays so much data can be synced to places like Dropbox...it's not as bad as it used to be.

Stories like yours are why I ended up swapping my Mini 1 for a Mini 2 this week. That poor device just hit the end of its potential lifespan with iOS 8.

5. DaKerrod macrumors newbie

I've got an original mini as well and have always loved the size of it, the non retina display has never really bothered me.

Like you though it's been crippled by iOS 8 so it's time to upgrade with the new ones here.

Would have bought the mini 3 in a heart beat if it had been given the A8X processor etc. But it hasn't so I'm going to get a 64GB Air 2 in either gold or silver.

Hopefully watching videos on that screen will make up for the larger size.

6. badger91 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep I setup as a new device. I restored it again and it seems a little better. All I have on it are 4 apps other than the ones that come on it. It's funny because my iPad 3 is quicker than my mini. I guess I'll just use the 3

7. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

I haven't downloaded iOS 8 yet, but I'm holding onto my first gen iPad mini for another year. Was not happy at all that the iPad mini 3 didn't get at least an A8 chip. Don't want to upgrade for an ipad with an A7 that's gonna have issues running ios9 next year. And I don't want the larger iPad Air. Love the size of the mini. Was thinking of getting a refurbished iPad mini 2 with 128GB...but most likely I will wait for the iPad mini 4.

8. irnchriz, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Upgraded my sons iPad mini to iOS 8 at the GM, then to 8.0.1 and onto 8.0.2. No issues at all, not even laggy, unlike the iPad 3 before I got rid of it.