iPad Mini Black apple logo material differs?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JamesWillson69, Aug 28, 2013.

1. JamesWillson69 macrumors member

Hey there,

Well unfortunately, I smashed my iPad mini 16gb wifi only about a week or two ago, and was quite shattered, (hehe). Furthermore, it was simply not practical to do school work as I started getting pricks in my fingers.., (yes, it was very smashed). So I had to hop along to the apple store and become two hundred bucks poorer for a replacement. Then it struck me, and I felt the surface of this new refurbed iPad, the back apple logo suddenly felt different. Normally, or from what I had gathered from my original iPad, it had a glassy feel to it, and the back shell it self was cut out in the shape of the logo. Now, it had a matte finish to it and felt like it was "stuck" on the iPad, ie there was no cutout in the rear casing. Maybe I'm going insane but I check with a friend who also had his iPad replaced and he still got the glassy finish?? His however was a 64gb 3g model, and as the 3g models have the little black forehead at the top of the rear casing, that may have been why... But never the less, either the material for the logo on my ipad has changed, or I'm suffering from some sort of memory disfunction. Has anyone else noticed anything like this on other models of not only iPad either??? Please tell me that I'm not going crazy.... haha

Yours truly.

2. jjb0894 macrumors newbie

Actually, you're not crazy. Apparently, with the refurbished models, sometimes Apple makes the Apple logo on the back matte and sometimes it's normal. I bought an iPad Mini refurbished and it had the matte Apple logo, then when I had Apple replace my iPad Mini, it had the normal Apple logo. I've been told that sometimes Apple makes them matte on the refurbished models when they can't buff all the scratches out of it, bit I'm not sure if that's actually true or not.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's probably different parts from different factories. They don't "buff out" scratches, all refurbished devices have a new outer casing if they show any marks :).