iPad Mini Bootloop. Only turns on when plugged in?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eljeanxp, Jul 2, 2013.

1. eljeanxp macrumors newbie

Hello

I have recently just gotten an iPad from craigslist and he described it as the screen turning white. At first I thought I just had to replace the screen and I would fix it so I bought it at a fairly cheap price.

I was wrong...

The iPad is in some sort of bootloop, I am not sure if its from jailbreak or from bad update.

It only turns on when it is plugged into the wall (and that's where it bootloops about every 8 seconds for about 4 seconds. displays Apple logo and resets).

I can go into DFU mode while having it plugged to my PC but when trying to recover I get error 1603 etc. And I can go into Recovery mode but only when it is plugged into the wall, and as soon as I plug it out it dies so I have no time to plug it into the computer.

Any ideas? Could it be the battery? Does this problem sound familiar to anybody, and can it be saved?

Specs

iPad Mini White 64gb AT&T LTE

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

First thought is that you've been had and tricked into buying a crap iPad.

If you have an apple store nearby you could try getting warranty service. Pray he didn't swap the screen or if he didn't they don't notice.

3. eljeanxp thread starter macrumors newbie

I knew what I was getting myself into so I don't think I got tricked. Also, I think it has some water damage, there are white smudges inside of the screen as well as colored pink on the top where the white rubber is and that could explain why it does not turn on. The battery could be seriously messed up due to water damage but the screen left intact.

Any other suggestions? I can reasonable assume that he had already went to the Apple Store but nevertheless tomorrow I will go. I am however not expecting much from them :confused:

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If they have any record of water damage etc then you will be paying upwards of $200 to an OOW replacement.

If they see any signs someone cracked the enclosure to replace the screen you will be refused service.

So it's good you aren't expecting anything

5. eljeanxp thread starter macrumors newbie

I was refused service negate apparently the iPad is a stolen replaced iPad from an Apple store (obviously by an employee but he didn't tell me that). They wouldn't even tell me why it was replaced and what was the diagnosis.

Another more cooperative staff person told me that if it boot loops it's probably the battery or logic board. I'm going to replace the battery and hopefully I'll get lucky.

Another note, they take thefts seriously, the guy asked me 21 questions with and brought a security guard with him lol. Think they would have taken it back from me?

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If it was their policy to do so they would have done it.
    And I wouldn't be so sure it was an employee. Could be someone lifted a display one. I've been around the stores to see all kinds of stunts.

7. eljeanxp thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah maybe. Good thing I fixed it. The battery was messed up. Bad thing, I cracked the LCD while fixing it lol.

Question, do I need to put back the metal protector on the iPad? The one that protects the mother board and battery, I don't see a point on it and I've kind of lost the screws to put it back in