iPad mini cases, are they all interchangeable with mini, mini 2, 3 and 4's ??

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by noupf, Jul 22, 2017.

1. noupf macrumors member

Question for those who know. Are there huge differences in design between the original ipad mini, mini2, mini3 and the mini 4?

I am grabbing a couple ipad mini 4's for family members, but the selection of heavy duty cases seems thin. I see a lot of cases for the mini 2 and 3, but not a lot for the 4.

Any idea if the mini 4 changed much from the 2 and 3 that i cant use any cases that say they will work for the 2's and 3's ?? There is a lifeproof case i love ( lifeproof nuud ) that i use for my wifes mini, but its not avaialble for the 4, however, i find it for the mini 2 and mini 3's.....

any idea if they are all interchangeable or did the mini4 change its design ( button placement, camera placement, thickness and so on )??

thanks

2. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

The mini 4 is different enough that cases for the minis 1 - 3 will NOT fit. If I recall correctly, the mini 4 is a little taller and a little narrower than the 1 - 3.

3. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

This is absolutely correct. I bought a Mini 4 today (Best Buy sale) to replace my Mini 2. Comparing them side by side, the Mini 4 is taller, narrower, thinner, and lighter by a noticeable amount. Any case from the previous Minis will not work.

Amazon had a number of Mini 4 cases available, I'd check there.

4. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

I have my new mini 4 from the Best Buy sale here and I want a midnight blue Smart Cover and case. At least the Cover. I can't find them anywhere other than eBay (case is harder if not impossible). Anyone have any leads?

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Mini 4 is a different beast. The Smart Cover from earlier models doesn't work b/c Apple changed the magnets. The back case will not work b/c the thickness is slightly different. Based on personal experience.

6. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

Yeah. They aren't the same size. I'm just saying there used to be a ton of different colors of cases and covers. Now they are all discontinued.

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

This is definitely the case. I have a Mini 4 (wife uses it) - the 1-3 cases will not work for it. And yes, for some reason, finding a case for the 4 was difficult. Ended up having to order one off of Amazon. Target seems to have deals on the 1-3 cases but they won't work with the 4.

8. raymanster macrumors 6502

raymanster

Mini 4 is about 3 mm taller. I got the genuine Apple silicon front cover and back case, fits really well and feels nice. Managed to find them discounted, the cover from a retail store and the back cover on ebay brand new unused. At full price they are very expensive.

9. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

What color back cover did you get?

10. raymanster macrumors 6502

raymanster

I got the grey, looks really good IMHO. And also they were discounted!

11. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

Cool, I only asked because the back cover is just simply hard to find in the older colors because apple has discontinued so many of them. I wanted one of the blue ones, really difficult. Plus, I fear eBay has a lot of the knock offs. So it can be a shot in the dark. Glad you did well though.