iPad Mini damaged screen question

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sammy-boy, Nov 2, 2013.

1. sammy-boy macrumors regular

Firstly hello to you all, this is my first post! :D recently become more of an iDevice fan from Android having lately got an iPhone 4S and a 5th generation 16gb iPod Touch too.

I bought a secondhand iPad Mini yesterday, love it firstly! Secondly, clumsy oaf that I am I dropped it earlier today, cracking the screen glass quite badly. Now, it's currently working fine (posting this from the iPad), my question is will it continue to work ok?

I've considered getting the screen repaired, a local ship's quoted me £120 or possibly having a go but would rather use genuine Apple parts than indeterminate ones off the internet. I can live with the cracks and have a screen protector fitted (see pic below, have managed to get most of those air bubbles out now too!) but is there a risk of digitiser failure or other problems further down the line?
    [​IMG]

2. sammy-boy thread starter macrumors regular

Apologies if my post was a bit rambling, I have a habit of doing that!

Will I be ok long term with the cracked screen on my iPad Mini?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

For £56 more than that apple would give you an out of warranty replacement.

4. sammy-boy thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like it would be worth a trip to an Apple store! Think I'd prefer that to trusting it to the local repair guy who I bet won't use genuine parts! I put the serial number into Apple's support page and I think it has the standard years warranty until about April next year, but guess screen damage isn't covered on that?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No it's not covered but you might get a nice genius that offers you AppleCare+ which does cover it. If not then you nee to ask for an out of warranty which will come with a 90 day limited warranty.

6. sammy-boy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, will take a trip probably after my next payday to the nearest store. Do I need to book an appointment or just turn up?

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

They like you to book ... best to get off on the right foot :apple:

8. sammy-boy thread starter macrumors regular

A quick update, my wife wanted to go to Solihull where there's an Apple store. Decided to see if there were any last minute Genius cancellations and they fitted me in at the end of the day. No free replacement, but they did sort me out with a refurb replacement for £169.

They were very busy but have to say the customer service was excellent, the replacement Mini looks as new and very pleased with it! For £49 more than quoted by that local shop to replace the front screen I have a pretty much new iPad :D Got a cheap Smartcover compatible Gel case off eBay for a couple of quid too to hopefully avoid or minimise the chances of a repeat of my previous clumsiness!

Thanks for your help and advice everyone :)

9. frojj macrumors newbie

I recommend adding a tech armor or other preferred brand of screen protector to your "new" ipad.