iPad mini iPad Mini Decisions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TaylorWright619, Mar 11, 2013.

  1. TaylorWright619 macrumors member

    Aug 21, 2012
    Hello all,

    So I have decided that I would like an iPad Mini.

    I understand the lack of Retina (which is a downside to me), but am willing to overlook this. I will be using the iPad Mini for University.

    What I am concerned about though is when the next iPad Mini will come out. I would like to have Retina, so I'm wondering if this is a good time to buy the current Mini, I would feel bad if a Retina comes out so soon and wouldn't want to waste the money...

  2. rgarjr macrumors 603


    Apr 2, 2009
    Southern California
    If u can wait then just wait it out. If not then get one
  3. 7thson macrumors 6502a


    May 13, 2012
    Six Rivers, CA
  4. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 21, 2012
    Technically I can wait it out... I do not absolutely have to have it... But that's the same with a lot of things...

    I just don't want to get it like a month or two before the new one. Half a year is reasonable, 3/4 of a year would be fine... It's just the Retina is something that I would definitely like to have. I could possibly get a Mini now and palm it off to someone else when a Retina one comes out?
  5. izzle22 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 13, 2004
    Kansas City, Mazurah
    The new iPad mini will probably come out some time right before Christmas. It just came out the end of last year, they are not going to update it this soon with it selling as good as it does. When it does come out there is no guarantee it will have retina, probably but not a sure thing. If you want it just get it. Retina is not really that big of a deal to wait 8 months for when you can enjoy the mini now.
  6. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

    Oct 29, 2006
    Buy it when you need one - you can be waiting forever - be happy with what you buy and know a better one is always around the corner. I picked one up in January and love it - will I want a 2nd gen when it comes out? Sure, but I'd rather have these many months with this one rather than waiting for something better to come out.
  7. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 21, 2012
    Ok, well if I get one, should I only get 16GB? Then when the new one comes out I can see if I need more storage or not?

    I will be using it for uni and will have some science pas etc on there. So would it be worth saving the money now, so when I upgrade to Retina I can asses what size I need without paying a fortune now?

    I have a 16GB iPhone 5 at the moment and have 9.2GB of free space. I could be using more, but I never push it.. Hopefully the 16GB would be enough.
  8. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 30, 2012
    I am in the same boat as OP. I already bought the 16GB iPad mini and have had it for a week. I do miss the retina from my old iPad 3, but I LOVE the mini.

    I've decided that as soon as the retina version comes out, I will sell this one and eat the difference in cost.

    One idea, if you can afford it now, is to get the 32GB mini now, sell it down the road, and buy the 16GB retina mini without having to shell out extra money then. I thought of doing this, but like you I don't take up much space so it seemed like a waste of money at this time.
  9. CrzyIcE macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2010
    I was in the same position as you.
    I wanted the ipad mini but did not necessarily need it ASAP and I wanted the retina version.
    But there are too much waiting for the retina: you don't know when its going to release, if the next one even will have retina (majority says it will). But all of it is based on rumors.

    Since you are thinking about selling it anyway once the retina comes out (if you get one), I would wait until you can find one at a discount.
    I looked at the prices of the 32gb/64gb for a while before I bought mine at a discount. And if they retina comes out, you won't lose as much value for selling the 1st gen for the 2nd gen version.
  10. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

    Oct 29, 2006
    I went all out LTE/64GB - for me I wanted a device I could be happy with even when gen 2 comes out.
  11. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 30, 2012
    Where did you buy yours at a discount?
  12. AppleRobert, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

    AppleRobert macrumors 603

    Nov 12, 2012
    The mini is so hot that even with returns they sell open boxed ones for right around $300 at Best Buy for 16gb.


    Will the mini 2 come out soon? I say it depends on the price. Why release it at the same price as the current mini in a few months when that one is selling so well. But if they raise the price then I can see the mini 2 coming out sooner and Joe consumer will have to decide if they want to go for it.

    But Apple never raises the price so I do not expect the next Gen soon unless they decide to raise it. That is my two cents.
  13. raggedyann6 macrumors newbie

    Mar 2, 2013
    Just Buy The iPad Mini

    I was on the fence about waiting until the retina mini comes out or just buy one now. I went ahead and got the 32GB blackMini on Ebay brand new from an individual not power seller for $405 plus $12.00 shipping. I have a 4 year old Macbook 15" Pro but wanted something more portable. I am glad I got it as who knows when the Retina Mini will come out. Plus it may be heavier and more expensive. I got the ZOOGue case which is nice. If you buy the Mini now and they come out with the retina I am sure you will have no problem selling your Mini.
  14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Currently in the US, both AT&T and Verizon are offering $100 off if you do a two year contract. Now I understand that contracts are bad and they make puppies cry, but I always had data on my iPad 2. So I figured that the same would be true with the Mini so at least I'll get something for it. And its not like my data costs less if they don't subsidize the ipad.
  15. charlituna macrumors G3


    Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    if you need it now, buy it now.

    Tech is always being improved and if you get worked out over the notion of something better coming along you'll never buy anything.
  16. CrzyIcE macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2010
    I got the wifi version only so I didn't take advantage of the $100 off deal mentioned above.
    But I got mine through eBay. Many people seem to be skeptical about buying through eBay but if you do enough research and ask the right questions before buying from the seller, most of the risks disappear.
    For example:
    1) If you are committed to buy, I would get the serial number before hand so you can check the warranty is in place.
    2) If buying sealed and new, ask for more pictures with their eBay tag and current date so you know they have the product and aren't just taking random pictures off the internet and then shipping you a different product.
    3) Check their sale history/feedback.

    It might take a while to find a good price though.

    A safer way would be if some stores offer promotional discounts.
    For example about 2 months back, Meijer offered a ~30% discount on all products in their store (w/ an opening a card with their store) and I believe the 16 gb was sold at $227. (Numbers might be a bit off).
  17. JobSteves macrumors member

    Feb 9, 2013
    I don't think the ipad mini 2 will have a retina display and if it does then it'll be heavier and bulkier. Not even worth it. Might as well get the full size ipad in that case.

    However IMO I enjoy my mini much more than my fiancé's ipad 4.

Share This Page